Very brash tele - help needed pickup

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Gnarledhand, Jun 16, 2021.

1. Gnarledhand

Gnarledhand TDPRI Member

Hi all!
    Very new to the group - have done a lot of searching and always come back to zombie threads here so figured it may be simplest to post here.

I'm currently specing out a partcaster for a dream tele but my knowledge is eclipsed.
    Professionally i'm a bassplayer, but when I have had the opportunity to play guitar I have always gravitated to teles of the broadcaster variety.
    I'm looking to make something that is very brash + crunchy. Not high gain- just crunchy but articulate. More chordal + full open chords than single notes stylistically. More rock orientated I guess. Not trying to nail any particular persons tone.

I've ordered an Ash MJT body + a 50s style one piece maple neck(like 'em thick). I'm leaning towards callaghan hardware (vintage with brass saddles) But am really stuck on where I should be aiming pickup wise - what will give me a lot of gnarl and bite. Good bottom, prominent mids, lots of top. Decidedly tele and definitely single coil?

Any help is appreciated!

2. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

Tonerider Hot Classics, for me and my set up anyway, definitely satisfy the brash clang kind of chording I like. I used 500k pots, which might also be helping the treble *kerrang*.

Gnarledhand and johnnylaw like this.
  3. chris302

chris302 TDPRI Member

Hello there!

You may contact Rob DiStefano from Cavalier pickup. Hand-made pickups, very reasonable prices, you can either choose PUs from his list, or contact him to find your voice through a custom pickup. Once you order, you'll receive the pickups in a matter of days.

From my part, I have a Wolf neck pickup (stratish/very clear voice) and a tapped bride pickup (Nashville pickup + huge lion). Pickups allow phase reversal, and I thus have a push/pull pot to switch phase and have out of phase sound.

zippofan, Gnarledhand and Greggorios like this.
  4. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

That was my first thought. Very brash in a good way, and affordable.

Gnarledhand likes this.
  5. Skyhook

Skyhook TDPRI Member

Personally I call it *skrang*, but this is clearly a case of tomato/tomahto. :) Oh, and a bass through a Boss Digital Metalizer will give you *skronk*. :)

6. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

It's certainly a jungle out there in the pickup world these days, but in my experience it's pretty hard to make a completely wrong turn as long as low cost isn't the only criterion.

I usually steer clear of the brashest of pickups, but one that could satisfy your need for bite, gnarl and brashness could be Alt '88 by Creamery. The company offers a remarkably comprehensive selection of pickups, often with the free option to choose the magnets to tweak the sound further and always with helpful advice from the one-person staff.

I recently installed Revel's Steel Pole Mojo in my Esquire. While that is probably not what you're looking for, it's a step toward P90s, I have been very pleased with the quality. Their Red Letter pickup, for example, could be worth considering, promising chime, openness, percussiveness and twang.

Gnarledhand likes this.
  7. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

All of your component choices will sum to determine your results.

I suggest you go with a vintage wind to get a full range signal and plan on using your amp’s EQ and pedals as needed to zero in on what you are looking for. Aim for versatility, you won’t regret it.

Rob Distefano at Cavalier is really good at matching up his pickups with customer descriptions. Call him and take his advice.

8. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Bootstrap pickups are great also. Remember....you can add a little dirt but you can't add clean.

9. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Fender American original pickups (099-2119-000), patent pending bridge plate (005-4162),and a fender pure vintage 58 steel saddles (099-2089-000). I run that setup with a 1 Meg volume pot and a 250k tone pot with a .1uf tone cap wired 50s Gibson style. You will be noticed in a mix.

Gnarledhand likes this.
  10. danlad

danlad Tele-Meister

Please tell me Finnish has these words in the dictionary!

Gnarledhand and Chicago Matt like this.
  11. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

I just put together a partscaster with MJT swamp ash body, and one-piece chunky maple neck like you are doing. There are many, many great pickups out there and I've been down the Tele pickup rabbit hole a lot. As suggested previously, Rob at Cavalier can wind what you want and it won't cost you an arm and a leg. He makes great pickups and it would be hard to go wrong there. I think you'd be happy.

HOWEVER, in my partscaster I decided to try a Bill Lawrence (Wilde) noiseless set: L290TL-E/L280TN. Not single coil, but sound like single coil with no hum. The bridge has prominent mids, weighty bottom, with bite on top but no shrill. Great for classic rock with Tele twang. The neck is open with a lot of articulation, and very full at the same time (great blues pickup IMO). These pickups have higher than vintage output and drive the amp, but are not the least bit muddy. You'd want a non-magnetic bridge plate for the noiseless bridge pickup. I really like Philadelphia Luthier's half satin stainless steel plate.
    PXL_20210428_MyBlackTele.jpg

12. Skyhook

Skyhook TDPRI Member

LOL, no! :D These are just onomatopoeia that fellow musicians such as yourself will get. However, here's some Finnish as consolation. ;)

[​IMG]

13. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

Sounds like you need an A5 42AWG with a higher turn count at the bridge. Cavalier PUPs are great. So are Bootstrap and several others

preactor and Gnarledhand like this.
  14. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

First of all, welcome, @Gnarledhand to TDPRI.

As for what pickup to recommend, I'm not sure I can be much help. When I think of the word brash, I think more or less the same as Merriam-Webster's definition, which is "aggressively self-assertive" and "piercingly sharp". So when I first read your use of that word in this thread title, I thought you were going to talk about a pickup in an existing tele that was too brash for your tastes.

Turns out you're looking for brash in a favorable sense, so I would guess you see brash as synonymous with "full of fresh raw vitality" or "uninhibitedly energetic" (definitions that Webster's also allows for), or "aggressively self-assertive" in a good way.

I do relate to the playing descriptions you gave, more chordal than single notes. I'm no lead guitarist, just a rhythm & riffs kind of player. Any instrumental breaks in a song that I do are just simple chord melody. So on the off-chance that what works for me might work for you, I'll suggest DiMarzio Twang Kings.

I have 5 teles with 3 different brands of pickups in them (the DiMarzio TKs, Wilkinsons & Bill Lawrence Keystones), and the Twang Kings are my favorites. I have them in 2 of the 5. The neck pickup is throaty but not muddy, very articulate. The bridge pickup definitely lives up to its "twang" name, but it's got body to it, not thin or piercing.

I've test driven Teles with Fender's Twisted Tele pickups in them, and I think those compare well to the Twang Kings, though I still prefer the TKs. A friend that moved away some years ago had (presumably still has) a Tele with Twisted Tele pickups in it, but I think the bridge pickup in that was a Broadcaster. Not sure about that, though. Good sounding pickups, even so.

The DiMarzio TK bridge has alnico 5 magnets and 8.07 Kohm. The specs don't state the wire turn count or say whether that's 43AWG or 42AWG, but I assume it's the latter. The TK neck pickup also uses an A5 magnet, and has a DCR (43 gauge?) of 6.22Kohm. It's a great set of pickups, IMHO, and not expensive.

zippofan and Gnarledhand like this.
  15. Gnarledhand

Gnarledhand TDPRI Member

I kinda like both the favourable and unfavourable definitions here haha! Thank you for the welcome - Glad to be here.

Thank you for all the suggestions so far guys! It's all helping narrow it down for me. Will be checking them all out...as much as can be done through a screen. Theres a few I haven't heard of as well and am learning a bunch!

So far the Harmonic Designs super 90 bridge is perhaps an overcooked version of what I'm looking for- sounds compressed on the videos I've heard but that could very well be youtube etc..I like p90s alot but it's not exactly what i'm looking for.
    I like aspects of the tex mex pickups they have a certain grit that's pretty close. Just want them a little more open sounding?
    So maybe i'm seeking something 8-10k w a metal/brass bassplate + non-ceramic magnets? I often favour lower tuning.
    Seymour duncan Quarter pounder(17k) for example I think is too hot and loses that tele magic.
    I imagine it is going to be somewhat of a balancing act.

Lollars I've heards so far for example (whilst a really beautiful tone) dont have the grittyness I'm seeking. More sweet while I'm looking for spicy/salty/sour.

I'm not so worried about budget/value so much as finding the right pickups(within reason- I can't do klon level unobtainium/price).

LGOberean likes this.
  16. aleski

aleski Tele-Meister

Funny you should mention that. I had Lollar Special on my list initially, but removed it thinking it's probably too well-rounded for what you're after; I do think it has plenty of grit, though.

Allow me to hijack the thread for a second to ask, are there any good pickup makers in Australia?

Gnarledhand likes this.
  17. Gnarledhand

Gnarledhand TDPRI Member

Allow me to hijack the thread for a second to ask, are there any good pickup makers in Australia?[/QUOTE]
    There are- Only one I have had direct experience with is (from bandmates guitars) has been Brierley http://www.brierleyguitarpickups.com.au but that could absolutely be a path to take.

aleski likes this.
  18. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to the forum Gnarledhand! On my first partscaster I experimented with a few bridge pickups, mostly more polite than the original. In the end, I went with the original broadcaster pickup (matched with a twisted tele neck PU). You have to tame it with the tone knob for some sounds but that pickup absolutely screams the "skrang" sound. Throw in some overdrive and it rages! To be fair, I do have a second tele with slightly cleaner/hotter pickups (Bootstrap Palo Duro's) that covers a lot of ground.

I've used Bootstrap and Cavalier as mentioned by others with good success but they are stateside operations. I assume you can get Seymour Duncans over there.

Gnarledhand likes this.
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m partial to bright

Seymour duncan antiquity II for telecaster, at least for bridge

Or the pure vintage 64 set

Gnarledhand likes this.
  20. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

There are- Only one I have had direct experience with is (from bandmates guitars) has been Brierley http://www.brierleyguitarpickups.com.au but that could absolutely be a path to take.[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure it’s even possible to hijack your own thread

Gnarledhand likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.