versatile humbucker recommendations?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by discogravy, Sep 17, 2009.

1. discogravy

discogravy TDPRI Member

Hi folks,

I'm looking for recommendations for a bridge pickup for my partscaster; Ideally I want it to be a single-coil shaped/sized 'bucker that I can wire to a push/pull volume or tone knob to split into a single-coil. I've got a bill lawrence humbucker (two side-by-side coils) that does that coil-splitting thing in a washburn nuno model and I really love being able to switch back and forth between single-coil and humbucker.

Tone-wise I play a lot of different stuff -- metal, jazz, rock, avant-noise stuff, clean-tone country and rock etc -- so I'm really looking for something that can do it all (or at least do most of everything pretty well).

Any suggestions?

2. badmelonfarmer

badmelonfarmer Tele-Meister

I have a Seymour Duncan lil'59 in a CIJ 52 special (keef) it is voiced to sound like a Gibson PAF.

Sounds nice, not very tele sounding, buy it is a humbucker.

You can coil tap it, I did not bother personally.

It is balanced with a SD Jazz in the neck. they sound great together and on their own.

Cheers

BMF

3. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

That is such an excellent pairing - in fact, it's the one I recommend most for people looking to put humbuckers in their Teles. The Lil' 59 should do it, but if you're not getting the most out of your bridge humbucker split, try a Dimarzio Fast Track T or Tone Zone T.

My main question is - what are you using in the neck?

4. discogravy

discogravy TDPRI Member

I'm planning on either a bill lawrence or emg fat humbucker, but i'm not stuck on any particular one yet; i have a stock humbucker that came off a dual-humbucker squier tele that I'm planning on using to start off.

5. Chrismo

Chrismo Friend of Leo's

Try the stock humbucker first - I don't know if the BL or EMG pickup will overpower the single-coil sized humbucker in the bridge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.