1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Versatile fuzz: Is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by E5RSY, Sep 28, 2020.

1. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

I usually think off fuzz pedals as one-trick affairs. Flexibility usually doesn’t come to mind when they do.

Any ones out there that may prove me wrong?

rangercaster likes this.
  2. DeepDangler

DeepDangler TDPRI Member

You should try some of the ProCo Rat pedals. They can be used as fuzz or distortion pedals and have many options for tweaking. The other models in the lineup offer additional gain, compression, and even a mosfet option on the Fat Rat.

3. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think my Fuzz Factory is pretty versatile. It has a bit of a reputation for being unpredictable, but while it has some surprises, that can be exaggerated.

The Volume and Drive knobs work exactly as expected.

Turning up the Gate control kind of cleans up the extraneous noise "around" the note, if you get what I mean, while turning up Comp (compression) takes you from big, wooly sounds to angry mosquito-zipper-buzzsaw sounds. For me, the interaction between these two knobs is where a lot of the variety happens.

Keep Stab (stability) al the way up for otherwise "normal" fuzz sounds. As you turn it down, your notes decay more and more easily into glitchy mush.

Many settings will produce oscillations, and tweaking Gate, Comp and Stab while change the pitch and other aspects of that oscillation.

That's really it. It's not impossible to get a handle on a Fuzz Factory, and there's a lot of variety even within "normal" fuzz tones, and even more beyond that.

Lawdawg, jddub440, mojek and 3 others like this.
  4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Not sure what versatile means?

To me it means useful in a variety of different music situations.
    You might men the pedal itself makes a variety of different sounds?

A fuzz usually makes a range of sounds but I have no interest in the Velcro sound or the massive bass sound or the blown speaker sound.

Some examples of Benders and Muffs get versatile musical sounds.
    Many fuzz pedals are almost novelty noise makers though.

I never really considered the muff to be a fuzz but the internet includes it in that family.
    The Rat even less so but it can get into fuzz territory without really being a fuzz.
    Benders are all fuzz all the time but a MKI is not that distorted and can be almost subtle. Muffs are great for smooth with some hair or snarl on command.

I think I’d need like ten dirt pedals to feel like I had versatile fuzz at my feet.
    Too easy to disappear with a huuuge sounding fuzz, or sound like an electronics malfunction with a raspy insecty fuzz.
    No interest in novelty noise!

Cali Dude likes this.
  5. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Holic

BAE Hot Fuzz and BAE Royaltone have a ton of sounds in them. Good luck!

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

For me the FF would be more useful if it had a bass cut that didn’t do anything else.
    I have an oddball eight knob FF variant that has a knob that rolls off bass and makes fora more cutting tone.
    I find too often that fuzz blows the bass up and mushes out any articulation.

I can stop playing guitar and pretend I’m Eno at the mini moog but I seldom want that role. If I do want to make a wall of dark matter I can get way better sounds with an electric fiddle.
    Maybe I’m biased knowing other tools do it better, or maybe I need bigger amps and higher power handling ceramic mag speakers.

7. JoeNeri

JoeNeri Friend of Leo's

There are a bunch of different “tricks” out there in fuzzworld, but each type of fuzz only does one of them. It’s versatility, if any, is within that one trick.

I’m talking about basic fuzz pedals - Fuzz Face, Maestro, Tonebender, Big Muff, etc. - not the 2nd and 3rd generation pedals with toggle switches and extra knobs that give a bit of versatility.

And, BTW, no, a Rat isn’t fuzz, and yes, a Big Muff is fuzz.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  8. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

The Amptweaker Tight Fuzz Pro. It's got three band EQ, voicing switch, silicon and germanium diodes, switchable octave up, and a huge range of drive - everything from a massive wall of fuzz to a light overdrive.

The function f(x) Clusterfuzz is really versatile, too.

shallbe likes this.
  9. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Looking around, it seems like things like the Carcosa and the BOSS FZ-3/Behringer Super Fuzz give a few different sounds in one package.

telemnemonics likes this.
  10. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

One trick ??
    Say that to Jimmy Page or Hendrix.
    I like tonebender mk2 , big muff Pi and the fuzzrite.

11. Vibro Chimp

Vibro Chimp TDPRI Member

I like the GI Fuzz by MI Audio. Very versatile, with lots of ways to shape the tone and dial back the fuzz.
    I’ve had a Big Muff and Fuzz Factory in the past but they were less useful to me, just over-the-top fuzz all the time.
    Fuzz Face-style pedals are worth considering, since they allow you to roll back the fuzz with your guitar’s volume knob, so there is a wide range of fuzz available.

12. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

That's kind of like saying a Tele is one trick. Fuzzes are awesome. You can use a Big Muff for everything from metal to Gilmour. My Keeley Fuzz Bender has active bass and treble controls, plus a bias knob. It can go from a trebly lead to a sputtering, spitting growl. There are a lot of great fuzzes out there. Maybe you should invest in another one. Then you can stack them. Woah. Instant My My, Hey Hey.

13. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I hear you. I have a bass cut in my Strat (the guitar I use most with the FF). Any dip in that or guitar volume drastically affects the fuzz tone, but it also cleans it up a bit.

I find that messing with the Gate and Comp makes for the most woofy vs. cutting difference. Lowering the Stab will mush stuff up as well.

Volume is important as well. Quiet fuzz is a bit of a contradiction.

Really though, I haven't noticed that problem. I mostly use my Strat for fuzz. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Holic

That's why I always list the Foxx Tone Machine as my fav in this threads.

It has a brilliant octave fuzz that can be high gain or low gain and works great either way.

It has a great non-octave fuzz that you can dial it down for a more Fuzz Face vibe, or crank the gain for a BMP-ish wall of fuzz.

The tone knob is my favorite of any pedal and gives a wide range of useful sounds.

I love most of the classic fuzz pedals, but the FTM is just a great and very versatile fuzz.

BorderRadio and basher like this.
  15. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

Yep, and you can get in cheap with the Danelectro French Toast.

drmordo and blowtorch like this.
  16. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sure:

[​IMG]

4pickupguy and Rufus like this.
  17. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

The Catalinbread Katzenkonig is a Rat/Tonebender mashup that has a great range of distortion through fuzz sounds, and the input level control is really useful feature.

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  18. Telewielder

Telewielder TDPRI Member

The Arctic White fuzz is versatile in that it can be used as an OD and a fuzz. The range of distortion is great. The feel is fantastic. One of the few fuzz boxes that actually sound great after dirt, too.

J-bass&Tele likes this.
  19. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

The MXR Super Badass is versatile.

You can dial in classic fuzz or high gain metal tones, or use it for simple boost.

One of the best on the market, surely.

:)

mxr super badass.PNG

M2roadwarrior likes this.
  20. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

IMHO, Fuzz is Fuzz...

If it isn't Fuzz, it's just distortion...

They are separate genres...

For example...

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.