1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Verifying a vintage Tele

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Guitarzan56, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Guitarzan56

Guitarzan56 TDPRI Member

Value?

So the guy who it belongs to wants to sell it. He took it to a pawn shop who offered him $700.00 for it before he brought it to me. I told him to stay out of pawn shops and that I'd try my best to first verify what it is he's got, and then try to figure out what a fair price for it would be. I hope it's not inappropriate to pose this question here. I know there's a classified section for selling stuff so I'm hoping that just asking what you guys feel a fair price for it would be is ok to do here.
    Opinions?

2. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

The decal being on top of the finish is no indication that the finish is poly. Fender never put the decals under the finish as a matter of the production process. If you put the decal on then lacquer over the top that is another day or two before you can ship the guitar out and another coat of lacquer you don't need to make the guitar.

Remember with Fender during those days it was about production as it was during Leo's time. Make the damn guitar and get it out! Even if it had a crooked neck plate which you will find even then.;)

About the finish, that burst was a three tone burst but the red has faded substantially compared to what is left today. You can see hints of it still there closer to the outer brown ring of the burst. What you may find interesting was when you took of the pickguard that the red inner ring is missing. That is because they wouldn't spray the red that far since it would be hidden by the pickguard.

3. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

You live in Wisconsin...Go to Dave's Guitar in Lacrosse and get an appraisal even if you sell it privately any buyer will be more attracted to it with verification as to its pedigree.

4. Guitarzan56

Guitarzan56 TDPRI Member

OK. Thanks for that. What I had read somewhere, maybe even somewhere within this site, was that they used to put the decal on then lacquer it but when they went to poly versus the nitro, the finish would goof up the decal so they had to start putting them on top and that's one way you can tell which finish it is. So since I'm getting an education here, I have no idea which is correct. I'm not not saying I don't believe you, but in fairness to the other guy, I'm not saying I don't believe him either.

Anyone else wanna chime in on that subject?

Man! I knew Leo was famous for being cheap, but wouldn't spray the red under the pick guard cuz it wouldn't show anyway? WHEEEEW!!!! That's taking cheap to the extreme! Ya gotta love food ol' frugal Leo.

5. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

That is one awesome guitar!

6. Mgeek

Mgeek TDPRI Member

Lovely!

The most recent later (ie not 62ish ) custom tele on ebay went for 6500 dollars- a 1970 in better shape, with a rosewood board.

I think the maple boards are rarer, guitars are worth what whoever is prepared to pay for them etc. More than 700 though ;)

Nothing about tis guitar makes me think its aything other than 100% original, the wear looks cool too.

7. MichaelAa

MichaelAa Tele-Holic

Fantastic guitar! This has to be the real deal, no doubt about it.
    When it comes to "fakes" you almost never see sunburst ones, it`s almost always custom color fakes. Maybe it`s because it`s so much harder to do a convincing and authentic aged sunbburst finish?

Up until `68 Fender always put the decal over the finish, but when polyester was introduced they started to put the decal first, then seal it.

I`m pretty sure this is nitro though ;) So I guess no rule without exception.

[​IMG]

But my other `68 blonde maple cap def has a poly neck finish. And the decal is clearly under the finish. And it`s not check like the `68 above.

Here`s a group photo for comparing: `68, `55, `68

[​IMG]

8. Guitarzan56

Guitarzan56 TDPRI Member

I see "reliced" units from the custom shop priced at right around 4-5 K.
    I was thinking 5K might be a bit steep but $3600.00 just "feels" like a fair price to me.
    I'd really like to hear opinions from you guys tho. You guys are the tele guys. If I had any money, I'd make him an offer myself but I'm disabled and on Social Security so needless to say I am one poor so and so. I'd like to do everything I can to help this guy out tho because he's helped me a million times. he shovels for me when it snows a foot, jumps my car when it's 20 below, and just basically looks out for me because he's a nice guy. Hew thinking of taking to it an eBay drop off place but they want 25% on top of the eBay fees so even if it did hit 5 grand, he'd probably only get $3000.00-$3500.00 anyway.
    So anyway, as many opinions as I can get will be greatly appreciated. If any of you guys are anywhere near Milwaukee, I live about 25 miles south of there in Racine. So any interested parties within a reasonable distance would be welcome to see it in person.

9. Guitarzan56

Guitarzan56 TDPRI Member

It actually plays great. I played it a little today and it feels wonderful. I've never actually had one in my hands before. Not even a copy. The intonation is off a bit, but I'm guessing that's just something you gotta live with on these considering the bridge saddle configuration. aside from that, the neck is straight and the action is comfy. The frets are in good shape too.

10. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

I would say that 5K is really the minimum your friend should ask to a private buyer or to a store. Stores sell those for more than 5K.

11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Not a problem. I have a 1968 Fender Shenandoah XII neck I can take a picture and post it of the headstock and show you the decal is flaking off because it sits on top of the lacquer. The lacquer is still intact where the part of "F" should be. They weren't using poly finishes then.

This weekend I'm taking pixs of a 1965 sunburst Strat I'll try to post some pixs this weekend if your interested.

As far as value you need to get it appraised and consider the current market. Ebay is NOT a good measure. I really think you should contact a vintage dealer.

12. Guitarzan56

Guitarzan56 TDPRI Member

Thanks Flakey. I think that's good advice. There a music store in Kenosha, much closer than Lacrosse, called the Music Center. They've been in business for more than 40 years that I know of and have many vintage guitars hanging up out of reach all over the store. I've done business with guy for years although not much lately. Years ago when I was still gigging, I was in the place a couple time a month. They can probably give me and honest appraisal for free and may even make me an offer.

13. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

That's Great!! Always best to do this type of business with dealers you know. I've done business 36 years with the same store bought and sold over 100 guitars with them through that time. They have a T-shirt that says, "We've done vintage so long they were new when we got them."

Nice thing about doing it that way is that they have contacts to people who are buying and looking for specific things so they and you are not waiting for the right buyer to walk in.

My guy takes a nominal consignment fee, I still make money (usually he has something I want that is motivating my selling :lol:) and everyone walks away with what they want happily.

14. Guitarzan56

Guitarzan56 TDPRI Member

Right, and that t-shirt reminds me of what I always say about my '77 Les Paul I bought in '79. When I bought it it was just used, now it's vintage.

15. Bluebird

Bluebird TDPRI Member

Hi Guitarzan56;

I sent you a PM. I am interested in the tele.

Thanks

16. Freewheeler

Freewheeler Tele-Afflicted

That's definitely not poly. The decal was over the finish before Fender switched to poly in '69. Even after that the headstock face was nitro as the decal reacted with poly, but the decal was under the lacquer.

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

A world expert on these matters is in my town/city. His name is Terry O'Riley and he deals in vintage guitars- particularly Telecasters. He goes by TerryOz on this forum.
    Google twangcentralguitars.com.au and email him, photos help, so will he.
    I am not a commercial agent of his, or anybody, just giving you the best advice I can.
    A lovely guitar BTW and I believe authentic. As to price, they differ vastly here and the US, we pay LOTS more. I'm sure he will give you a realistic appraisal ( probably make an offer!!).

18. tjh5207

tjh5207 TDPRI Member

Guitarzan56, I also sent you a message expressing my interest in the guitar. Thanks!

19. Joefish

Joefish Tele-Afflicted

Freaking tobacco sunburst on a Tele is so freaking iconic ...

20. Guitarzan56

Guitarzan56 TDPRI Member

I want to thank everyone for all of the excellent replies and help with verifying the fact that this guitar was/is an original survivor with no mods or any replacement parts of any kind. It was a really fun project getting it figured out, and ultimately, sold.
    Yep, a different friend of mine who also knows the guy who owned this thing, bought it today. So it went locally which was a great relief to everyone involved since none of us really relished the idea of trying to pack to survive any kind of a long journey.
    I'd also like to thank those of you who made offers to buy. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you guys but thank you nonetheless. This is one heck of a great BB and I often come here just to kill time and read the various posts about anything and everything. It never fails to amaze me how many of you guys are so quick to take the time to share your knowledge and experience with others. I can't tell you how much I've learned from you guys over the years. to put it in the words of Max Calvada, "Tanks, tanks, and ever tanks....dat's Shakespeare." :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.