Vent under every window??

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by doghouseman, Sep 21, 2021.

1. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

I am sitting here watching my air conditioning blow right up a curtain and out the window by my desk.

Then I started thinking there is a vent under almost every window in my entire house.

In the master bedroom, in each bedroom, in the living room, in the dining room. All have vents directly under a window.

Is there some reason for this? Does it make the windows easier to install? Seems like a REALLY bad design for energy efficiency.

Boreas likes this.
  2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Does your house have the same vents for heat and A/C?

We have baseboard heat and our A/C vents are in the ceiling. Cold air flows down evenly, warm air rises up evenly, mostly. A/C vents in the floor seem like a really bad way to get the cool air to the warmest areas.

3. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

Are they simply vents (cold air return) or heat registers? Heat registers are under windows for reasons of convection currents in winter. Better heat distribution. Don't run the AC with the windows open. Talk about inefficiency!

Zoso420, televillian and Bones like this.
  4. fleezinator

fleezinator Tele-Meister

I learned about this recently. They're aimed towards the source of heat, ie windows. The idea is that vents cool the hot air and that gets pulled thru the remainder of the room towards the return. If they faced inwards or anywhere where they don't address the heat source, you'll have pockets of hot air in a given room.

I lived up north a while and noticed vents on the floor. Now that I'm in the south, the vents are in the ceiling. the placement might be a cost thing? one might be more/less efficient than the other, but I think the idea is the same with regards to placement near windows.

Boreas and doghouseman like this.
  5. posttoastie

posttoastie Friend of Leo's

Vents are on interior walls or ceiling in So Cal.

doghouseman likes this.
  6. doghouseman

doghouseman Tele-Holic

Cooling the hottest part of the room? Seems like this would only work if the window was air tight but if the air is going out the drafty window, there is also a substantial loss of efficiency.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

In northern climates it's common to have HVAC registers under windows because windows create cold drafts in cold weather. Having the registers there allows the HVAC system to more efficiently modulate the desired temperature in a house.

The drafts are not necessarily from leaky windows (convection). It's due to conduction: warmer inside air in contact with the cold window glass/frame cools the air, which drops and spills over the window stool onto the floor.

8. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire

I think ceiling vs floor depends more on your climate. Where is your biggest annual energy cost - heat or AC? I think floor systems are preferred for heat (rises) and ceilings are preferred for cooling (sinks). Also, many houses up north have no central air, so floor placement is typical.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.