Vent: too many amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marc Morfei, Feb 18, 2019.

1. brogh

brogh Assistant Admin Staff Member

sell them .. problem solved !!!

2. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

I'm in the process of "gearing up" for when I start playing again. I took a look at my amp collection and had to think about what I really wanted (since I would have some time to save up). I decided my AC15CC1 cabinet looked goofy. I had built a handwired circuit in it and always wanted to try to improve it a bit. I decided to rework it, then sold it and am building a vintage-style AC15 with Top Boost and Normal channels.

For Marshall Tones, I really like the tone of my 1987 50W DIY. I recently picked up a marshall 1960 4x12 with 3x v30s and 1 x G12M65 creamback. This one needs a rework also. It needs a decent power transformer and I would like a new chassis (50w style instead of JTM45 style) and perhaps a nicer cabinet. I might be selling it and building a new one in the not-so-near future.

I would like to build a 15W version of the Orange OR80 and one of those 25 watt mesa amps would be nice to have, too.

So far I've sold a 5W Champ clone, my AC15CC1 "handwired," and still have a few I need to sell.

I just don't as much time these days to dedicate to building amps and some just sit there and don't get played very often :(.

You could always watch "Tidying Up" on Netflix and decide which ones do not "Spark Joy"

3. geobookman

geobookman TDPRI Member

You could make up justifications to keep any of them, but that doesn’t make them useful. Having numerous back ups doesn’t really make sense. I think there is some fetishizing of owning tons of gear rather than actual playing. This is indeed an unpopular opinion, I know. Keep the ones you absolutely love and get rid of the ones you make justifications for keeping. That’s my approach.

JazzboxBlues, Milspec and nojazzhere like this.
  4. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

It probably helped just telling someone how much stuff you have!:D

Cheshiergrin and gridlock like this.
  5. WilburBufferson

WilburBufferson Tele-Afflicted

So you gig, right? Shouldn't that dictate your choice(s)? I agree with others, keep the Vox and the PRRI and rid yourself of the others. I had a PRRI for the longest time. Until I got a 68 Custom Vibrolux Reverb (the new one with the drip edge). Poof! Bye-bye PRRI and everything else (including a sweet Super Reverb). I am currently looking for another backup amp that is smaller and high powered enough to take out to a gig. Currently contemplating a modelling amp, but have thought about a Blues Junior in passing. Of the two of those I have owned a while back, they sounded "hummy" and "boxey" -- have things changed in V4?

Either way, I'd advocate for maximizing your guitar slush fund whilst having a wide range of sounds on tap. Isn't that what we are all looking for? :)

6. chickenwings

chickenwings TDPRI Member

Sell em all and if you like the vox sound use the proceeds to get a nice ptp wired one or even a nice quality clone.
    All those reissues and stuff are pcb and mass produced. Yes they sound good when they are new but it is inevitable that components will burn out, break loose or simply get old and die (electolytics). Working on all of those amps is a pain too. Things like board mounted pots and Jack's all add up to make all these amps a real drag to maintain and repair. That, and the MDF or particle board cabinets on many of them adds up to products that are simply not built to last.
    Dump all the ones you dont use, and get something built with no compromises to the almighty dollar and the penny pinching methods of the big modern factory techniques.

gridlock likes this.
  7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Sell the two you haven’t played in six months or more...of sell the ones that aren’t gig-able.

I did that as a 19-year-old. My Bassman Ten was my nightstand in my bedroom.

boop and Milspec like this.
  8. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

But its nice every now and again to line a few up and remind yourself why you bought them

IMG_1309.jpg

uriah1 likes this.
  9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

You’re just enjoying life and learning which amps you like....sounds like an admirable pursuit to me. I just sold a couple amps, now I’m down to 12...

Maybe I shouldn’t wade in on this subject now that I think about it....

No, seriously I get it, I’m downsizing too. It’s not the excess that bothers me so much as having amps I don’t use. I figure somebody else could get more enjoyment out of them and it’s selfish to hoard them if I’m not gonna use them. I’ve pretty much figured out which ones I want to keep and why. I’ll be moving the others eventually. Some for money, some maybe as trade bait, though probably not for other amps and definitely not for anything I don’t actually need.

Of course that’s all subject to change too...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  10. JazzboxBlues

JazzboxBlues Tele-Afflicted

As a mid aged man who is an advanced beginner who wants to improve I believe this and have been a victim of this as well. It’s great if you want to be a collector. If you want to be a player not so great. It takes energy and time chasing guitars and amps. Time that could be spent practicing and learning. To become a better guitar player a nice amp and comfortable guitar suitable for what you want to play is all you need. A back up guitar and amp probably never hurt anybody. Have significant improvement in your skill level over a couple years then look at some other things. Just my 2 cents.
    Also I’m a firm believer in one or two high quality items trumps a whole bunch of mediocre items. I’d consider finding the one amp to rule them all and sell the rest. Of course in my opinion a similar back up so you have 2 isn’t a problem,

geobookman likes this.
  11. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I don't understand the problem?

12. geobookman

geobookman TDPRI Member

Well said!

13. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

Having the Princeton i would probably sell the Fender Blues Jr, and Fender Pro Jr.
    I would keep the Vox because is a different amp, same thing for the Peavey probably....

14. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

VENT: Not enough paragraphs :oops:

15. PBO Blues

PBO Blues Tele-Holic

Amen.

16. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

At least you have some variety. I've managed to acquire 5 identical amp heads to go with 6 identical speakers and 4 Teles just alike. The Teles have the same necks, pickups, bridges, pots and caps. It does make it easy to dial in my sound.

17. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

In some instances this advice is good. Other times, you get lucky and find several very high quality amps. At great prices that need care and maintenance. Amps hat have been sitting for years in someone's closet. Over time you can end up with numerous outstanding vintage amps that cost you less than the price of 1 new high quality amp. That's a cool situation to develop. Love 'em and play for for a while. Then you can sell 'em off and keep on searching. Rinse and repeat.

It depends on what stimulates your brain. What are your goals? Where lie your natural talents? To be the best the guitar player possible? To own 2 great amps that sound great, then stop buying, stop looking , and woodshed every day? Maybe like me, you realize that your natural talent is spread around and you'll never play SRV or Eric John to perfection. Other achievable goals are exciting too. Like locating old amps and repairing them yourself. That's pretty fun too, and rewarding. Ever see those people who pick up the guitar, and in short time they are quickly catching up to you? Who somehow have the ability to play outstanding, quickly? Those folks could own 2 amps and stop there. That's not me. LOL.

I have a hard time with 1 amp to rule them all. One may do several things pretty well. There will be compromises.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  18. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

good coverage there

19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+2 A good start.

JazzboxBlues likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.