Venomous Snakes...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jumpnblues, Apr 23, 2020.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Not venomous, but, I remember when I was a kid camping, I caught
    about 20 garter and water snakes and put them in a garbage
    can next to the trailer.

I forgot to tell my mom....!

2. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

A sure sign of springtime: venomous snakes begin hiking around Arizona. :)

3. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Come to my ranch and saddle up one of my ranch horses. I will take you out to gather cattle. I guarantee you will see few rattlers. Ive had cattle, horses and ranch hands get bit. Just last week our horseshoer got bit on his hand. I wouldn't call Peoria a good resource for rattle snakes, just another type of snake that is far worse than an Az rattler.

4. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

Too bad about your farrier. Hope it was a dry strike.

I’ve done a fair amount of hiking, backpacking, hunting and fishing since I’ve been here. And I’ve seen some (even had a Mojave rattler come after me once when dove hunting). And, I still check under every rock before I sit down in the desert to be sure. But, based on growing up on western movies, I expected a rattler every whipstitch; but really not so many as I expected.

OTOH, a chance to saddle up a ranch horse and help round up cattle? I’d be down for that just for that. Finding snakes would just be a plus. Haven’t had a chance to ride a horse just free of some guide for years. Which is a little sad, since I worked on a racing quarter horse farm back when I was a kid (back when dirt was rocks...LOL).

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  5. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

Tell Junior Valentine and Hank Mowery I said Hi.

6. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Look me up in july, we will be pushing em up farther N for the hot summer. Can use the help. PS Ol Lee is doing just fine. His is like the rest of us, a native Arizonan, but hes one tough SOB. Rattler died he didn't.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  7. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

PM me when the time is right. I might have the time to do that, then.

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Here's a matchup. Red bellied black (No 6 in the world) vs Eastern Brown (no 2). Fortunately for the big Red Belly even though his toxin is not so strong (neurotoxin) his fangs are much bigger and penetrate better. Plus he dumps a big load of venom. He's a good 45lb.

The brown snake has diddly fangs - but one drop of venom will kill a full grown adult and one bite delivers enough venom to kill 100 adults. It's the second most toxic land animal in the world. Survival depends on rapid deployment of antivenine, or you have 45 minutes, mostly unconscious. Cardiac arrest or intercranial bleeding will kill you.

We took my English relatives to Healesville sanctuary and had a ranger guide us. As we approached the reptile enclosure he said, 'now I want to correct a common misconception: there are no poisonous snakes in Australia.'

They were incredulous, having heard about these deadly creatures.

'No no' he said. 'You can eat any of them without harm. They taste great. Now, if one bites you, you're dead - they're highly venemous, but poison - no!'. Boom boom.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
  9. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

Red bellies are good... they eat other snakes.... like browns...

browns are more rodent killers where they might only get a quick strike in, the venom needs to work fast so the prey doesn't run too far away after the strike that the snake misses a meal...

I treat them all with great respect... even the pythons....

10. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Holic

Saw the biggest water moccasin I've ever seen at the golf course a few weeks ago. i was in ditch searching for my ball, a common circumstance. i was at the top of the ditch, and he was down in the bottom in the water, swimming around like he owned it. managed to find my ball without getting close to him.

11. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Friend of Leo's

test

I'm trying to show a pic here that was on FB. Anyone know how to do that?

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  12. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I've found 3 rattle snakes in my yard in 14 years. Our new family member Akiko (Shiba Inu) got her first rattle snake vaccination today in 30 days she gets a booster if she gets bitten still has to go the vet pronto

13. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Constipated?

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

I almost stepped on one of those on a defunct/closed road in San Antonio, Texas (SAT). I just froze, he leaned back, and then just slithered off into the woods. Red touch yellow, kill a fella. :eek:

upload_2020-5-13_0-50-38.jpeg

We supposedly had a rattlesnake nest---with baby rattlesnakes wandering about----at our apartment complex in SAT, but thankfully, I never encountered any or...their mother.

15. jumpnblues

96774021_10107500723496950_5636234244796710912_o.jpg 96774021_10107500723496950_5636234244796710912_o.jpg 96774021_10107500723496950_5636234244796710912_o.jpg 96774021_10107500723496950_5636234244796710912_o.jpg 96774021_10107500723496950_5636234244796710912_o.jpg

24 track and uriah1 like this.
  16. jumpnblues

Man, I really messed this up. Anyway, this big boy (the Timber rattler) was found in south central Iowa near Winterset. I don't think I've ever seen a Timber rattler this big. And it's not Photoshopped. The area where it was discovered is known for a healthy population of Timber rattlesnakes. Fortunately, they're pretty docile and not aggressive at all. That's the main reason snake handling churches use them. Although several people have been killed handling them during church services. Make no mistake, if you're nailed by any Timber rattler, let alone one this size you're in deep, deep, doo, doo.....even with anti-venom.

Average size for most Timber rattlers is about four feet with larger ones up to five feet. I don't know the length of the one in the pic. But I'd conservatively estimate it at around five to six feet long. All I know is it's one BIG Timber rattler. I can't explain why but I'm in awe of these animals. They are so cool.

Below I included a list of snakebite deaths in the USA. It's actually kind of fascinating. Maybe not to some but it is to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_snake_bites_in_the_United_States

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    uriah1 likes this.
  17. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The fewer I see, the better.

tery likes this.
  18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't think those snakes have much odor, at all. I think the places they like to hang out, in sloughs and soggy areas and bayous, have heavily stained, kinda funky water in them and so the whole habitat they're in is IMO what you're smelling. I think that's part of why my dogs, at least, had trouble honing in on a snake and can get into the danger zone before you know it.

[​IMG]

When we hiked the William Clark Preserve area, one of the times this Feb/ March we saw a middlin' sized moccasin. It didn't really want to move, trying to get warm, but eventually it did. This is near Rossville, TN, which is just to the east of Memphis and its suburbs. This is a Tupelo/Baldcypress slough just off the Wolf River, Fayette County.

On the undeveloped lot adjacent to The Cabin, in WNC last week I disturbed a stocky, gray snake that got on its way before I had a positive ID. There's just as many (more) imitators of the various venomous snakes, but you should probably assume the snake is a viper until you can confirm it isn't one.

I don't worry about Coral Snakes much and I didn't in Florida even though I saw enough of them. Why? They're super visible and their means of envenomating their prey is parked way to the backs of their mouths. The only way they could get to an adult man is maybe some folds of skin on your neck, in between a finger or toe - our big features and tough skin present a decent problem for them. So, watch your grandbabies around them and women with sagging skin under their arms, you have been warned! :^)

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    24 track likes this.
  19. jumpnblues

Many snakes release a musk when they feel threatened. Some snakes have a stronger musk than others. With some snakes it has been described as a cucumber like odor. With other snakes the odor is more pungent.

haggardfan1 and brookdalebill like this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I've never experienced that. I'll be darned.

I guess that's because I work pretty hard, to just get along. I will just about break my neck, not to run one over.

My Mom will take a shovel and kill those little rattlesnakes she sometimes finds, around the country house in central coast, California. My parents are in their 90s - I figure they have the right to "simplify things" as they see fit. And I'm careful not to point out to Mom, that had those snakes lived and grown, they'd never had to cope with mobs of gophers, destroying the landscaping.

tonyj likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.