Velcro Fixin' Glue Options

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Jbudz1977, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Jbudz1977

Jbudz1977 TDPRI Member

Sometimes, no matter how clean I get the bottom of the pedal, the Velcro doesn't stick entirely well. Often a corner or two will get loose and start coming up. Can anyone recommend a good glue type to add to the area to fix it? I'm thinking Gorilla Glue or Superglue, wondering of there is anything else that I should consider.

2. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

3. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Impact adhesive. Dunlop Thixofix, or second choice, Evostik.
    [​IMG]
    Follow the instructions closely.
    Spread and use thinly. When is says wait so many minutes, do that.
    May come off with white spirits ;)

Both of which are intended for fixing Formica to worktops, hard surfaces, but work on fabrics too. "No mess", ha! - in fact it sticks so well you cannot get it out, watch where it goes. I prefer the unimproved original version, still available.

4. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Holic

This is why I recently gave up on Velcro, drilled a bunch of holes in my board, and now use zip ties to keep the pedals secure. The Velcro adhesive coming undone, especially after a cold car ride to a gig, was maddening.

5. teleprompted

teleprompted Tele-Meister

I use guerrilla glue. Seems to work fine for me. You have to use it sparingly but its kept the velco on all my pedals for quite some time

6. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

I use this. None of my pedals are going anywhere unless I want them too, and the velcro strips stay where I stuck them.

7. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Just used Gorilla Glue for the first time this week. To revive my electric banjo case that was falling apart, as well as to apply some velcro to the rubber doorstops I use to elevate the back of my pedalboard. Banjo case was busted on both sides so had to glue on separate evenings. First side did get a bit foamy. Followed the instructions more closely on the second side, which are moisten surface with water, then apply thin layer of glue. So this time I spread the glue more evenly and moderately, and this side of the banjo case came out really clean. Didn't have clamps so piled five loaded instrument cases atop for 24 hours each side. All is secure, stuff bonds like a mofo.

8. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I clean of the existing glue on the Velcro, then use 5min. epoxy. You still want roughy up the surface your gluing to.

9. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Buy some of those 3M Command hanging strips.
    Clean the bottom of the pedal then put the strip on the pedal.
    THEN gorilla, super, or whatever glue the Velcro to the bottom of the pedal.
    If you ever need to change the pedal you can simply dislodge the velcro through
    the hanging strip.
    Works great.

You can pick up the strips at Walmart in the paint dept.

10. jefrs

I've got a bottle of Gorilla Glue, I doubt I shall ever use it again, far too messy.

Evostik Impact Adhesive I've used by the gallon. I've been sensitised to it and it gives me a pounding headache now, ensure good ventilation. Smear it on thin, let it dry, slap it together and you're done. That's it, finished, it won't come off unless you rip it off.

I prefer Thixofix, you can move the work to align it, slower setting though.

Both of which are purpose designed for this type of job.

11. jefrs

Have you tried 3M double sided tape?
    There's a thin tissue and a thicker cloth-like tape, the latter is very sticky indeed.

12. Jbudz1977

Jbudz1977 TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try a few things, superglue didn't work that well. I use Weldwood Contact Adhesive for glueing foam padding to my canoe's hull, I'm thinking that is the first I will try, I've got a big old can of it downstairs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.