1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Velcro and Joyo Pedals or any other rubber bottom pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by don, Jan 20, 2021.

1. don

don Tele-Meister

Ok I have the Joyo American, British and ACTONE and velcro will not stick to the rubber bottoms. I saw a video about flipping over the bottom plate so the rubber is on the inside and its all metal on the outside which Velcro will stick to - any other ideas on attaching rubber bottom pedals to pedalboards?

2. northernguitar

northernguitar Tele-Holic

Nope. And more often than not, the velcro is likely to pull the rubber off the pedal anyway.

don likes this.
  3. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Yes. Use bike chain links. Break them apart and screws go through the holes.

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

another chain link guy here. some screws go through the side & not the bottom. if you have that the link needs to be bent 90 degrees. you can't bend them without taking out some of the temper or they break. heat the link until it is glowing red and then just let it cool on it's own. then you can bend it

P1110371.JPG

I have threaded holes in my board but you can use nuts & screws, or I have a small board that has a wood panel so wood screws work on that one.

or, you can use a zip tie. anything but velcro... I hate that crap

5. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Same issue. I’m going to glue some sheets of EVA foam together and carve a fitted enclosure for my mini pedals, I think.

6. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

Take off the rubber

Warning: This advice could be dangerous in the wrong context

7. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I've tried a lot of stuff in over 50 years foolin' around with guitars... the easiest way to make a secure connection is drill 2 holes and zip tie the pedal. the chain links are bomb proof 100%. nothing moves without permission. ever. not even if you drop it down a long flight of stairs. but, the method present other issues. fortunately. I'm secure in my pedalhood and don't need to constantly change things

8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Joyo pedals don’t last, avoid them. Anyhow the only two that I used at all, both broke within a year. Waste of money.

radiocaster likes this.
  9. don

don Tele-Meister

I don't gig with them - I'm mainly a bass player - I use them for recording and they are just fine for that. I just want to set them up on a pedalboard so I can switch between them more efficiently when I'm looking for a particular
    tone.

10. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

I just peel the rubber off - at least with Boss and Ibanez minis.

northernguitar and driver8 like this.
  11. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

1. Remove the bottom plate.

2. Warm the plate with a heat gun (the plate side...not the rubber side). Just warm it up; smoking hot is too hot.

3. Peel off the rubber pad and scrub any remaining adhesive from the plate with mineral spirits.

4. Put the rubber pad into a small Zip Loc bag and keep it in a safe place to replace it later.

5. Apply Velcro to the plate and reinstall.

If you want to reinstall the rubber pad, heat up the plate and peel off the Velcro. You can use 3M adhesive film or double-stick carpet tape to reapply the rubber to the plate.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
  12. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

I will concur that removing the rubber is best practice, in this case anyhow...

13. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

i saw this thread and tried to mess with stuff last night. and cut my finger on the aluminum bottom plate too!

for my joyo 1590bb size pedal, i took the plate off and flipped it. no problems at all.

for the minis, like mooer, etc. flipping didn't work. not enough room internally, or maybe not enough of a cutaway on the rubber's corners. i just had to take the rubber off the bottom. i just pried it off with a flathead screwdriver and put it in the box. part of the adhesive is still on the bottom, so i flipped the plate, and on the clean side is where i put the velcro. i'll deal with it later if i want to sell it (but, i did it to mooer's clones of fuzz face and a tube screamer, so i wasn't banking on resale).

14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I used to use small "L" brackets.....never thought of bike chain links(I like that idea).....but didn't like drilling holes in enclosure. I came up with this idea using green insulated copper wire, bent "just right. I hope the pictures show up well enough. all new 126.JPG
    No damage to pedal box, and easily installed or removed.

Old Plank likes this.
  15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

While everyone is entitled to their opinion I disagree with the Joyo pedals not lasting.
    I play with Joyo's every week and have not had a failure.

I have had an AC Tone that gets used every Thursday for two hours at practice and every Sunday for at least two hours for church service. I bought that pedal used at least two years ago. I ended up liking it so much that I bought the American Sound a month later and put that on my guitar board and moved the AC Tone over to the other guitarist board. He uses it now with the HX Stomp as a mid boost. I use my American Sound as a stand alone recording unit and even pair it with my 5E3 occasionally to dial in a bit of dirt at low volume levels.
    I also have a BiYang TriVerb that I have had for two years on my guitar rig.

On my bass rig I use a Joyo Ultimate Drive that I have had for at four years and a Dr. J Sparrow Drive for my bass amp simulator and XLR direct box.

All of these are attached to a board or have been thrown into a backpack and taken to multiple practices and rehearsals as well as Sunday services without a failure.

For my caveat... IF I was a touring musician I would probably spring for higher priced pedals but would keep the cheap pedals I mentioned as a backup just in case.

BTW, the only pedal I have had to replace a switch in over the last two years was this one.

[​IMG]

I ended up fixing the CC and picked up a Donner Yellow Fall when it was down. The Donner is on the board now and the CC was sold off.

don likes this.
  16. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

My opinion is based on 100% of mine breaking while still basically new, and 0% of my other pedals ever breaking, including some extremely old MXR and Boss pedals that don't cost too much more than the Joyos. The Joyo pedals are mostly copies of inexpensive classic circuits (Phase 90, TS9) which can be bought used in great condition for $50- $100 and sometimes new for under $100.
    Small data set for sure, but if you get the chance, open up a Fulltone and a Joyo pedal and see which one looks more reliable to you. I'm glad yours are working well. But they are not built to last.

17. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Personally, any pedal expensive or cheap, I just take the rubber off.

don likes this.
  18. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Yah.. I've had Orange pedals that had rubber on the bottom, digitech pedals with rubber on the bottom, boss pedals with rubber on the bottom.

The Rubber comes off and goes in a bin.. velcro goes on the bottom. There's usually glue residue under the rubber which helps the velcro stick.

If you sell it you just get some glue and put the rubber back on.. use the right glue and no one will ever know.

ISTR some of the Digtech ones they were smart enough to include both velcro and rubber in the box and you got to choose to stick one or the other on.

I do wish more builders were intelligent about this. E.x. MXR seems to have found the optimal paint if the goal is for nothing to stick to the bottom of the pedal. I actually sold my MXR Phase 95 partly over this.

don likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.