Various Champ amps

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by schmee, Apr 7, 2019.

1. androo

androo Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Gotcha. I have the same duo situation with my wife. I use a Boomerang on the floor, and two vocal mics for she and I. Then a Telecaster, and maybe an acoustic or archtop sometimes.

In that situation, I've used a SF Princeton, a SF Champ, Boss Katana, and I currently use a Peavey Classic 30 since I like to use the looper in the effects loop.

My favorite is the Peavey, but mostly because of the effect loop. I really liked the Princeton as well. I keep the volume low, and I can still get that robust low vibe you might desire when backing up a vocalist. The champ just never cut it for me, especially outside.

My two cents.

JayFreddy likes this.
  2. androo

I think that's the deposit only! That's a $1600 amp I'm pretty sure :eek:

When you select a line voltage, it tells you the add to cart price.

schmee likes this.
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I just figured that out and added a note above!

4. schmee

Yep, that's where I'm at too. I've had 4 SS acoustic amps recently and ... Nope ... gotta go to tubes.
    -I have a Hot Rod Princeton Reverb (12" , big transformer and bigger cab) but it's too much/too heavy. It holds up fine in a 5 piece blues band we do also.
    -I have a BF Deluxe non reverb, it's not bad, but not small really.
    -I had a SF Champ with speaker upgrade until a few months ago. Not for me.
    -I thought about Katana, but I think me spending $ on a SS amp at this point is a losing proposition. The archtop sounds superb through a tube amp!
    -The Red Knob Champ 12 intrigues me as it's 12 watts and a 6L6 single tube...
    -The Super Champ XD would probably be fine.
    -I've been wondering if the little Champ XD 5 watter is enough... likely too much a Champ?

5. androo

I am a big fan of the Katana actually. I was needing something for my classroom, and picked it up for a song. I dig it a lot.
    I've gigged it with my wife a couple of times, and I've had really good results.
    Yes...I can tell it's not tubes, but no one else can. And, it has a very, very usable acoustic setting. Big plus!

I have the Katana 50.

6. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Another thought...non-reverb Princeton.

I used one for a long time as a gigging amp -- 5 piece with an average loud drummer. Stays clean all the way up the dial and definitely does not have the snotty attitude of a Champ.

Definitely clean and a more robust low end (though they can get 'farty" if cranked.) Though their prices have risen, they're still about half the cost of a Princeton reverb.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    schmee likes this.
  7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

For a cheap and nice option, the Laney cub 10 (ideally with a speaker upgrade) is nice and ticks the boxes for more clean and low end (two things that I don't associate with 5w amps btw)

schmee likes this.
  8. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

Check out the newly arriving single-ended Blackstar Studio 10 with 6L6. Very nice, I say...

schmee likes this.
  9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

As far as Fenders Champs are concerned, yes, but there were a couple of Epiphones, Galaxie 10 and another, I think they called it Electar 10 or something. Basically both were the same inside but with different cosmetics.

Ramparte too, but that doesn't have any tone shaping.

There's also a Jet City head and several boutique amps with a 1x6L6 output.

10. schmee

That's kinda cool...

11. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

There is also the VHT Special 6 (non-ultra), which is a 12ax7 and 6V6, with a hand-wired circuit board. It's a great amp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

horseman308 likes this.
  12. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Vibro Champ sounds exactly like a Champ, but with tremolo. There's not a penny more headroom than with a regular Champ.

I think Princeton is where you need to be, based on your stated objectives. Maybe look for a used PRRI 65.

13. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Rivera era Super Champ is a Champ on steroids.
    They work.

schmee likes this.
  14. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I second the Super Champ XD. And another possibility in the $150-200 range would be one of those solid state red knob Princeton Chorus amps. They have two 10's and they would make a good clean platform for effects.

15. schmee

Interesting, I think I confused it with the Super Champ

16. schmee

I may end up with the Super Champ XD.
    I had the Princeton Chorus amp a few years back. Kinda liked it for SS. Sold it to my keyboard buddy. But it had the typical SS problem; just couldn't get the bite in the right tone. It seemed like the Treble would go from Dark to Ice Pick with a 1/8" turn of the knob. No middle zone there.

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Supposedly you can stick a 6L6 in there without mods if that floats your boat.

I like that my Ramparte uses a 6L6 because I have a bunch of unmatched 6L6s. Not for sonic reasons or anything like that.

18. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Yes, you can. Per the factory support tech, just move your speaker up to the next higher impedance (somewhere on this site someone quoted their email from the factory tech). The other thing I did on mine recently was - following Rob Robinette's website (he goes by RobRob on here) was to wire in a second resistor in parallel to the cathode bias resistor and put it on a switch so I can switch the tubes between 6v6 and 6L6 AND select the appropriate bias for each.

The difference was immediately noticeable and really brought out a whole new side to the amp. Of course, plenty of people just leave the 6L6 in and swap the bias resistor out completely. Either way, it's a great amp. I gigged mine with a 1x12 a lot in small bands with acoustic rhythm players and light-handed drummers, as well as bigger blues bands.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

19. schmee

Anyone ever try to put a real tone stack in a Ramparte?

20. horseman308

horseman308 Tele-Holic

Not sure about a Ramparte. I was referring to the VHT in my reply. I know RobRob did a tone stack and **** ton of other mods to his VHT.

https://robrobinette.com/Special6UltraMod.htm

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.