Variax guitar and software.

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by ping-ping-clicka, Dec 11, 2019.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

I saw Joni Mitchell's "Miles of Aisles concert or at least the performance from the tour the the record was spawned front. The Band:
    • Tom Scottwoodwind instruments, harmonica
    • Robben Fordelectric guitar
    • Larry Nash — piano
    • Max Bennettbass
    • John Guerindrums, percussion
    • they were great .
    • Ms Mitchell uses lots and lots of tuning as you may understand She has very discriminating taste for excellent sounding instruments She has played Martin D-45, a Martin D-28, George Benson model guitars.
    • She has an ear for fine instruments.
    • When I read that Ms Mitchell was going to use a Variax I was really surprised, a little in disbelief. Having heard her music live I knew that she sounded great we playing unaccompanied.
    • :eek:A VARIAX?:confused:.

so I tried one on for size, having owned and sold an excellent old national steel body guitar , I just had to hear how it sounded, and hot dog it sounded great and so did the dobro.
    Now this part is for all the down tuned guys , the varax using the software can be tune to different tuning and stored with the patches saved to the guitar.
    example tune the guitar to the normal guitar tuning. build an instrument , choose the pickups etc etc and not have to ever retune the guitar , one tuning in the real world and as many tunings as the instrument can hold , plus everything can be saved and backed up. Chose the down tuned " C " and
    your string tension is the same as usual, open "G" same/same open D same/same no retuning between song of even during songs , just switch the program and you're immediately retuned.

so the variax in all it's different price ranges ( there were 3 at the time that I bought mine. economy, traveler and first class, all of which had the same electronics, the variax adrian Belew has on his custom Parker guitars . one size fits all.:D

2. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

I've wondered about the dissonance heard between the "real" string tuning and the tuning heard through the amp when played at low volume, especially if say your G string was programmed to G# as in open E tuning.

Is the Variax' unamplified sound loud enough to be an issue? Because I've considered one in the past.

3. WisconsinStrings

WisconsinStrings Tele-Afflicted

I use a Helix for an amp. A Variax has been on my GAS list for quite a while.

4. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

As a former Variax 600 user — playing with a band, not a problem at all.
    However in a recording situation it could be very off putting. This track was recorded using my Variax - strings tuned to standard EADGBe - in Open E / Acoustic mode and when I recorded the first take I struggled because of the clash between the acoustic sound leaking in and the electric sound in my headphones (guitar was DI’d into my iPad).

(The baritone guitar on that track is the same Variax in B tuning. That is far enough away from natural pitch that it did not sound very good until I put the tremolo on to colour it a bit.)

5. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

Wow...nice! How many tracks are on there? Did you use any chorus or is that just the sound of several guitars in unison?

Would you have any tracks of different tunings leaking together? Might be musically ambiguous but interesting still!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.