Variation in Teles...

Winky

Tele-Holic
My only Tele, and until yesterday, the only one I'd ever played is an AM deluxe from 2010. Yesterday, when amp shopping, I pulled a Vintera (no idea what specific model) off the wall to try an amp. I hated it. I know it's often just a case of what you're used to, but the much lighter body made it feel like it was neck-heavy, and the neck itself was like gripping a baseball bat. Deeper neck profile than any guitar I've owned (or can remember playing). No real story here other than to say I was really surprised at how utterly different two Teles could be. I get it that if I picked up a Les Paul or a Schecter that it would be different, but I expected a Tele to feel like a Tele. Lesson-learnt.

(Didn't buy the amp - long story)

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
My only Tele, and until yesterday, the only one I'd ever played is an AM deluxe from 2010. Yesterday, when amp shopping, I pulled a Vintera (no idea what specific model) off the wall to try an amp. I hated it. I know it's often just a case of what you're used to, but the much lighter body made it feel like it was neck-heavy, and the neck itself was like gripping a baseball bat. Deeper neck profile than any guitar I've owned (or can remember playing). No real story here other than to say I was really surprised at how utterly different two Teles could be. I get it that if I picked up a Les Paul or a Schecter that it would be different, but I expected a Tele to feel like a Tele. Lesson-learnt.

All depends what Vintera you picked up. The 50s style is much chunkier than the 60s Vintera, and slightly neck heavy by comparison. I've got both, and even though I've got the modified 60s with the 9.5 radius, it still feels a lot thinner to me than the regular 7.25 on my unmoved 50s.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
All depends what Vintera you picked up. The 50s style is much chunkier than the 60s Vintera, and slightly neck heavy by comparison. I've got both, and even though I've got the modified 60s with the 9.5 radius, it still feels a lot thinner to me than the regular 7.25 on my unmoved 50s.

Oh how I'd like to get one of these regular vintera 50s! I do love chunky necks and I can easily see myself playing one, especially in sonic blue...

Winky

Tele-Holic
I'll bet it was the '50s, then. I'm not being critical, just saying that I was surprised by how different it was.

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
Oh how I'd like to get one of these regular vintera 50s! I do love chunky necks and I can easily see myself playing one, especially in sonic blue...
That's the one I have. I recently changed out the saddles for some AV58s, and added a top hat switch to give it a 1955 vibe. The pickups are really, really good in these models. I've not played played the modded 50s though. The sonic blue is perfect, I think if I'd have gone for fiesta, or sunburst, it would have been sold by now.

doctymie

Tele-Meister
The regular 50s Vintera is one of my most favorite teles. I fell in love with the baseball bat neck and the vintage pickups.

John C

Friend of Leo's
I'll bet it was the '50s, then. I'm not being critical, just saying that I was surprised by how different it was.

Which is the point of Fender having all these different models - so everyone can find something they like best.

Generally vintage-spec necks tend to be narrower at the nut and deeper than modern-spec necks like your American Deluxe to begin with; and then you have these variances chasing the spec of various years, with a 50s neck tending to be thicker than a 60s neck (besides the difference between maple and rosewood/pau ferro fingerboards), differences in shape between U, V and C shapes, etc.

If you had grabbed a modern-spec Tele like a Player or a Player Plus you probably wouldn't have noticed that drastic a difference from your American Deluxe Tele.

mimmo

Poster Extraordinaire
That's the one I have. I recently changed out the saddles for some AV58s, and added a top hat switch to give it a 1955 vibe. The pickups are really, really good in these models. I've not played played the modded 50s though. The sonic blue is perfect, I think if I'd have gone for fiesta, or sunburst, it would have been sold by now.

Exactly my thoughts. In the very beginning I was in love with the fiesta red, but now I am GASing for the sonic blue.
I am struggling with my vintera custom 70s, while I love the sound, I can't fully enjoy its playability as the neck is too thin for my hands. The 50s regular version would be like home for me.

So yes, I agree with the OP about two teles being quite different.

JP22

Tele-Meister

Sounds like a 50s model vintera!
I can’t cope with that U neck either.

Same reason I have the 50s modified.
That and the 60s vintera would feel quite different to you.

PARCO

Tele-Holic
I would say that variation in Fender instruments is one of their defining characteristics. We all have an idea of what a good guitar is but that idea varies a lot. Once you find one that checks most or all your boxes it's like finding the Holy Grail.

Singin' Dave

Friend of Leo's
Once you find one that checks most or all your boxes it's like finding the Holy Grail.

Thus the reason so many of us are building our own partscasters these days! Must admit since I had mine put together, really haven't touched another Tele...

PARCO

Tele-Holic
Thus the reason so many of us are building our own partscasters these days! Must admit since I had mine put together, really haven't touched another Tele...
I find myself in the same boat. After years of trying Teles and not finding one that checks all the boxes. I had to build my own. This guitar is still a work in progress but little by little it is becoming the perfect Tele for me.