1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Variable Resistance on your B+ Line?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by kleydejong, Oct 19, 2020.

1. kleydejong

kleydejong Tele-Holic

I watched a video today from Rick Beato:

You may certainly draw your own conclusions on the tone clips and EVH lore. Rhett certainly expressed that he could feel the change in voltage. From a technical perspective it would seem to me that it is a powerful tool for changing the way the tubes bias and generate load lines.

I was thinking a bit on that concept and came up with this idea. What about introducing an L Pad variable resistor in the B+ line? Before node 1 sends to the power tubes would be most powerful / impactful, but I'm a bit leery about that messing with bias and tube life and amp stability in the power section. So what about after the first node sends to the OT - then a choke - then you run a bit lower resistor, maybe 2.2k in series with an L Pad of maybe 25k to 50k? The 12AX7's seem pretty robust to handle a change in voltage.

Anyone tried this or seen it? Worth exploring?

2. kleydejong

kleydejong Tele-Holic

[​IMG]

A mockup of what I'm thinking just as a potential example.

3. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Look into VVR (variable voltage regulator) - that's the more modern way to implement what you're talking about.

4. kleydejong

kleydejong Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.