Van Morrison

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Brett Fuzz, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

'A Period of Transition' ; St. Dominic's Preview; Astral Weeks; Wavelength; Moondance; Tupelo Honey are the ones I can think of right now.

2. rideit

rideit Tele-Holic

I honestly have listened to the entire St. Dominic's Preview album more times than any other full album. It's just incredible.

3. FishStik

FishStik TDPRI Member

4. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

+1

5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

when I think of Van.... the first thing that comes to mind is Tupelo Honey...the whole LP... :).... oh she give me moonshine whiskey , oh she give me southern Love...

though we were brought up on Moondance songs... and it was a big hit at local full moon dances for bands to do a cover of it...
    local hero Barry Charles always did a great version.. as a teen lead singer.. and is still asked to sing it these days as a semi retired singer..... :)

and for a time when I was doing a lot of road miles surfing, I had "Hard Nose on the Hwy" amongst my few tapes to play... I got quite used to that LP...

and years later while traveling through Pakistan of all places.. I met a guy from San Anselmo...
    like WOW.. it's an actual place?... of course I couldn't wait to ask him what was so unusual about the snow there...;)

6. bobsway

bobsway Tele-Afflicted

Just got his latest, "Born To Sing: No Plan B" the other day.
    He ain't phoning it in at ALL, still great as ever, I totally recommend it.
    Been listening to "Keep It Simple" a lot lately too (good album to play along to).
    "His Band & the Street Choir", and "Moondance"("Brand New Day" makes me wanna cry) are my fave older albums of his.
    I also really like the 1974 Montreaux live dvd where he does "Bulbs", and some other obscurities with sort of a pick-up band.

7. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

This is my favorite Van album. Used to be Astral Weeks (as a hipster, I'm obligated to cite that album), until a friend of mine turned me onto SDP.

8. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

I think it is important for me to have a "favorite song." It kind of helps me stay grounded somehow and have a musical touchstone that is really defined. That may seem weird, but welcome to my secret obsessive compulsive and neurotic brain! For me that song is "Jackie Wilson Said." That song will always make me feel good. Never failed.

9. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Gotta love the Van. My band does 5 of his songs I think.
    Song: It Seems Like A Brand New Day it sets me free
    Album: Moondance not just for the previously mentioned song

10. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No one's mentioned Pay The Devil, the entire album is excellent. Another one is The Best... volume 3, some great duets in that album. Also The Steel Box Collection is worth it. Yep he's one of the best. Think I'll have a listen to his CDs.

11. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

"Madame George" on Astral Weeks just might be the greatest recording in human history. Or maybe tied with Elvis's "Mystery Train," but that's for another thread.

12. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

Astral weeks - probably the best album ever recorded.

13. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Bold statement. I'm not going to argue. Magnificent.

Off topic, but related -

We know Van can be a cantankerous performer, but he seemed to like performing for Cardiff audiences, which was all good with me as I lived there for many many years.
    So I got to see him on top form a few times.

In the early 90's I saw him at St Davids Hall, - set mainly consisting of songs off Avalon Sunset , Enlightenment & Hymns to the Silence, and a few of the older classics.
    As I recall, the band included Candy Dulfer on Sax too.
    He got so in to it, that he did four encores and was still up for more - the stage management couldn't get him to stop and get off.
    A wisecracking, jolly, stomping end to a performance that had been rich in Celtic Soul mysticism - a masterclass as such.
    Quite an experience.

He played a far bit of electric that night too - a black Tele. :cool:

14. TeleHawg

TeleHawg Tele-Holic

In the summer of 1966, I was listening to the radio around 9 p.m. in the bunk-house of the ranch where I was working -- some 80 miles out of Kamloops, BC -- and "Here Comes the Night" came on. It was a moment of illumination impossible to put into words, like a peek into the glory and mystery of the universe. To this day I can't hear that song without an attenuated thrill.

15. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

I tend to like his odd songs best.

Snow in San Anselmo
    Linden Arden Stole the Highlghts
    I Will Be There
    Summertime In England
    Madame George
    Cry For Home
    Call Me Up in Dreamland
    Wild Children
    The Eternal Kansas City

But I love his more popular stuff too...

His cover of Bein' Green will always make me feel like I'm 18 again.

I've heard him perform live many times and been there for a few off nights, but his on nights outnumber and more than make up for them.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.