Van Halen with Sammy .

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Nov 16, 2019.

1. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

I’ll call Van Hagar underrated.

More traditional, poppy hooks. Technically better singing. Glossier production. As a kid who listened to a lot of pop rock growing up, it was more immediately accessible for me. I came to appreciate DLR more as an adult, and now far prefer DLR era.

But yeah, Van Hagar had some catchy tunes.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

3. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Afflicted

I loved DLR era Van Halen, and Hagar's pre-Van Halen solo stuff.

Van Hagar wasn't fun anymore. They somehow managed to be less than the sum of their parts - did nothing for me. DLR's solo stuff was all flash, no substance - also did nothing for me.

4. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Yeah. There's a difference between writing for a club and writing for an arena. There are just different approaches to putting the act together. I think VH did as good a job with the arena rocker concept as anyone could have. But at that point, their peers becamse bands like, say, Bon Jovi, and Whitesnake.

Now, of course, Richie Sambora, John Sykes, Aynsley Dunbar, are all fine musicians. They did their job well. But so do a lot of people working in corporations, accounting firms, and insurance agencies all across the country. And while some learn how to relax in those environments, it's ultimately all about turning out a product that you can sell. And that can get a little uninteresting.

I mean, what I do all day at work is very complex and useful, and requires the contribution of a lot of very talented people. I'm probably better at my job than my hobbies. And while I'm proud of my work, it's also kind of boring, and I can't really imagine anyone wants to hear about it. But that's what happens you do it for the money.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Dave's definitely a better dancer.....and that's about it! ;)

6. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I prefer Hagar era. I remember seeing the Red Rocker in Philly when 55 was big, and I remember when VH got rid of Roth telling friends that Hagar would be a great fit, then they announced his joining, and I was right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.