Van Halen with Sammy .

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Nov 16, 2019.

1. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

I really like the song and the guitar playing, sammy's voice and oh coarse the guys in the rhythm section with a very tasty feel.

jman72, JeffBlue, stormsedge and 2 others like this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I know I'm in the minority, but I GREATLY preferred Van Halen with Sammie. Don't know their writing process, but in general their songs with him are WAY MORE MUSICAL. Lots of things I don't like about Roth, but Sammie is a REAL musician in his own right.

Jim622, Macrogats, Bassman8 and 6 others like this.
  3. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Van Hagar was better musically. I didn't relate to them much, cuz stadium rock is kind of a weird idea for me. It's all, like, artificial, and costs a lot of money, and just seems like a strange thing. Best Bar Band in the World made more sense to me.

erratick and nojazzhere like this.
  4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I preferred the DLR era Van Halen but still liked the 5150 and ou812 albums they did with Sammy. I kind of stopped listening after that. I think that because I first heavily got into VH listening to them with Dave that I was disappointed they decided to change things. Sammy had a tough job stepping in but did it well considering they were getting into more keyboard usage at around the same time.

I was never into Jump.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  5. Larmo63

Larmo63 Friend of Leo's

This is a solid song, but I preferred the DLR era more myself.

David is/was a douche, but they were pretty hot there for a while and while Sammy is way more musical, they were a facsimile band during his time.

6. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Van Halen was one of the greatest heavy rock bands of all time.

Montrose (and to a certain extent, Sammy Hagar’s first few solo albums) was also great rock and roll.

Eddie Van Halen is one of the most innovative and influential guitarists to ever pick up the instrument.

Everything Van Halen did with Sammy Hagar sounds like a Bud Light commercial.

blueruins, bender66, puddin and 3 others like this.
  7. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Meister

For the most part, I've enjoyed Van Halen...both SH and DLR have done pieces I like. I aspire to play like EVH, but seem stuck with John Denver. I have the guitar work of Cradle Will Rock stuck in my head, so I'm gonna have to map some of it and see if I can eek it out. But what do I know, I'm only in my 60s. :cool:

Macrogats and Slip Kid like this.
  8. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

It takes balls to play LOUD.

Glad I witnessed VH in their prime.

"Somebody Get Me a Doctor" at full concert volume was a force of nature.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Moriarty and blowtorch like this.
  10. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nothing but love here. Loved the first DLR era stuff, and more recent DLR stuff (New Tattoo - love it).

Loved Sammie era VH and pre/post VH Sammie solo stuff. Loved the DLR solo stuff too - at least the first three albums, but there were a few good songs beyond that.

The only really bad era for me was VH III - not good!

I think their most recent studio album sounds like a perfect meld of old VH and DLR solo work.

11. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

??? Stadiums are venues. Most of em never designed for music. Bands like VH started out in clubs, they played stadiums as they sold more music and became more popular, nothing artificial about it, just louder. :)

12. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Always liked the David Lee Roth stuff better than the Van Hagar. Not sure why. Sammy is a much better singer.

I saw Chickenfoot probably ten years back - Sammy, Satriani, Michael Anthony, and Chad Smith. About half their songs sounded like exactly like Van Hagar and the other half sounded like a solo Satriani album. Fun to watch, but they really could have used some songwriting help.

13. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

THANK YOU!

I could never articulate what it was about Van Haggar that was so lame, and you've just said it perfectly. From now on, this is my answer.

14. smsuryan

smsuryan Friend of Leo's

It was just two different bands, even though there was only one member difference. I do think, however, Sammy can pull off Dave's tunes better than the opposite. Sammy singing "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love" would sound a whole lot better than Dave singing "Dreams". Also, Sammy is a guitar player, leaving Eddie to expand more on his keyboard, just adding another element that wasn't there before. I wonder what the success of another record with DLR would achieve in 1986 versus if 5150 with Sammy had never been recorded. Wasn't 5150 their first #1 record? Both varieties of the band were awesome, just two different flavors.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    nojazzhere and stormsedge like this.
  15. Archangelmm

Archangelmm TDPRI Member

I like VH, Van Halen & the evolution into Van Hagar, I saw them in 1980 at the Lakeland Civic Center for their “1980 Invasion” tour, I knew every song by heart but they played sooo loud and distorted that it was hard to determine what songs they were playing. DLR had a great voice and was the epitome of a front man but he suffered from LSD (lead singer disease) which is why he left the band in the first place, in 1984 the band wanted to go Into the studio to start recording a new album but DLR said going to the studio would F@&K up his tan, they had words and he left.
    Sammy Hagar came in and Injected a dose of energy, and freshness that VH badly needed, I think he took VH from where they were at that time and moved them forward in a fresh new light, DLR was with them when they had their first ever #1 song “Jump” but they did not get a #1 selling album until Sammy was the front man. When Sammy was gone they actually hired Mitch Malloy as their new lead singer (see video below) but that faded quickly after the original 4 appeared on the awards show. I think DLR had a great rock voice but limited and was a good front man but his ego killed his career at the height of it, I think Sammy was a better vocalist who could hit the high notes that DLR could not, Sammy was a better from man, he had a great career before and after VH, I liked both incarnations if VH but liked the years with Sammy better.
    Can only imagine what VH could have become with Mitch Malloy, I guess we will never know now.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

The problem with stadiums is that the sound is terrible, and any amount of subtlety in the music gets lost. So, successful bands learn to write songs with all subtlety and nuance removed and to concentrate only on the biggest, most obvious hooks in order to connect with the audience. Great for getting stadiums full of people to pump their fists and shout along with your chorus, not so good for making interesting music.

tamer_of_banthas and kafka like this.
  17. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I'm with you on that ... I preferred the Hagar era as well.

Sometimes it's best not to compare and just appreciate both era's for what they were.... DLR era was fun and exciting, Hagar era was more substance with less gimmick. Both great era's, but distinctly different.

Jim622, nojazzhere and Archangelmm like this.
  18. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

t
    Yep, they are sports venues and lack good acoustics. But it also depends on the music. Back in the day I saw the Ramones in a club and year later in a large arena type setting not much difference in sound - it was a wall of sound. Theatres on the other hand can handle the nuances of a musical performance.

19. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Meister

Great song
    Sammy says the writing process was typically like this. Ed writes a complete song. Sammy now needs lyrics. Not much collaboration he says. Besides this song actually.
    I was not sure what to expect when Sammy came into the band but then they released 5150 and we all heard how incredible it was. I like both DLR and Sammy but probably slightly prefer Sammy. Maybe more than slightly. Sammy can sing. I'm not really sure what it was/is that Dave does.

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

Overall, I preferred DLR-era VH...even though Sammy was/is a better singer.

IMHO, as a casual VH fan, OU812 was the best SH-led VH album...”Black and Blue” has a killer opening riff (even if it sounds like a rip-off of “Rock and Roll Ain’t Noise Pollution”) and “Finish What You Started” actually blends all its parts together well (unlike the awkward pastiches that Edward sometimes makes)....

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.