1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Van Halen Screw-Up

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tarnisher, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Tarnisher

Tarnisher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Rather than derail the thread I saw this video posted in, I thought I'd start a new thread. Thanks to ScottJPatrick for posting it first.

I don't get it. How could they just keep playing? It sounds awful! Did they not have any monitors? Are they all just playing by rote? Did they think they were soldiering on and being professional?

The comments on YouTube have many theories, with lots of disagreement about whether Eddie was drunk, had a guitar tuned to a different key, or the keyboard track was messed up.

If Eddie was sober and did notice the problem, why didn't he just improvise a new part in key?

If that wasn't possible, why didn't they stop, admit their mistake, fix the problem, and start again, or go to a different song? I'm sorry, there's nothing professional about this.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Heh - I remember a thread with some rabid Eddie fan who was just apoplectic at the suggestion that Eddie wasn't playing the right notes (whether it was the guitar's fault or not). He was ABSOLUTELY dead set that the synth was off.

So I downloaded recordings from that show and the one from another gig, put one in the left ear and one in the right. The synth was exactly the same, and the guitar was different.

NCvsCT.mp3

He was still sure that everyone in the world was at fault other than Eddie and/or the guitar. :rolleyes:

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

That video is over 4 years old now - not from their current tour. Not that it matters I guess, I've just heard the discussion ad nauseum.

4. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to hear they even keep that song in their set list.

5. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Sounds like a broken or string unwound... I've had that happen on floating trem guitars, and there's not a thing you can do other than change guitars...I admire Eddie's chutzpah in trying to play through it, but where the h**l is his guitar tech with another guitar?!!?!?!?

Franc Robert

6. DoodlySquat

DoodlySquat Tele-Holic

? That's one of my favorites.

7. trailboss

trailboss Tele-Meister

I always thought Eddie (and Mick Mars) had the trems decked? Tigh springs and "down only" direction is the only way to go with a Floyd IMHO.

8. diffeecult

diffeecult Tele-Afflicted

:lol::lol:

He obviously didn't have a clue. He's probably deaf as a door knob from playing at those volume levels all these years. It looked like the bass player, is that his son?, leaned in and said something right at the end.
    As far as what to do in my opinion coming to a dead stop and starting over should be the last resort. That only draws attention to the screw up. If you can recover and keep going most of the time the crowd will not notice. It didn't seem like those folks noticed anything was wrong.

9. Delta Blues

Delta Blues Tele-Afflicted

Way to necro that ancient footage op.

10. Tarnisher

Slow, that's how it sounded to me.

Tex, sorry if you've heard this one. I'm not posting it as news. Since the policy on this forum is that it's better to start a new thread than to revive a very old one, that's what I did. I didn't see it the first time around, and I'm probably not alone.

Frank, I guess one man's chutzpah is another man's refusal to admit a mistake. I think he should have stopped playing if he couldn't make it sound better than that. (Or at least go back to his bedroom to practice where no one needs to hear it!)

One of the reasons this interests me is that I'm a very improvisational player. I have no where near Eddie's technical chops, but I would have sounded a hell of a lot better than that if I'd been dropped on that stage with that guitar because I would have recognized that what I'd rehearsed wasn't working and played something else.

11. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

Egad...that was a train wreck...

Makes you wonder if his hearing is gone too...

12. Just-Jim

Just-Jim Tele-Afflicted

Nothing personal. I just never really cared for the keyboards in VH music. I have always have appreciated the guitar work though.

13. Tarnisher

How could they not notice something was wrong? :eek:

This was not some little goof up, and it's not something that only another guitar player would notice. It was like nails on a chalkboard. At least he should have stopped playing, even if the band went on, they would have sounded better without him.

14. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

15. czgibson

czgibson Tele-Afflicted

^ This

It sounds terrible, but the folks at the front seemed to love it. Just goes to show, you can make some hideous mistakes on stage and many people won't notice at all.

16. DoodlySquat

DoodlySquat Tele-Holic

Yeah and it makes some people look nuts. That is the people that are all worried about if the audience can tell between tube and solid state and if they will care blah blah blah.

17. Tdub

Tdub Friend of Leo's

How hard is it to hire a keyboard player for a couple of tunes? That's what they get for using sequenced crap.

18. diffeecult

diffeecult Tele-Afflicted

I agree it would have sounded better without him which is what makes me think he just can't hear. If he could hear what we're hearing it wouldn't have taken but a second to change keys if that was the problem or a couple more to swap the guitar for another one if it was something mechanical.

Makes you wonder don't it? :lol:

19. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Wow. I can't think of any excuse for that. Did he play the entire song in the wrong key? I could only listen to about 30 seconds.

20. tazzboy

tazzboy Former Member

Yeah that was a few year back if I remember correctly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.