Van Halen "Jump"- but no keys

gitold

Poster Extraordinaire
Wow, you can really hear just how bad a singer David Lee is!!! Couldn’t make it to the end. “Can’t you hear what I meeeaan”!

rdjones

Tele-Holic
Totally lacklustre, defanged and declawed.
If you dislike keys so much, at least replace it with something, anything.
As it stands it's not even a decent backing track because there's nothing keeping time during the keys only segments. Click track anyone ?

EVH's adoption of keys was one incentive for me to switch from a Roland Juno to Oberheim.
I do miss the Juno, though.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
I just read an interview with Hagar where he said that EVH was gung ho to play keys so much on the next two records because Dave had been so adamantly against it, and he felt like it was a part of him he couldn't express before. People blame Sammy for that shift in the band's music, but it was apparently Ed's doing.

I read another article by someone who knew Ed late in his life and he said that if he had to do it all over again he might just stick to piano. Seems like a weird thing for the most iconic rock guitar player in a century to say, but that's Ed.

NWinther

Friend of Leo's
Funny if I could go back I would pickup the piano as well, and the guitar...well!?!
I played some piano.....but for some reason I just stopped again....doh!

beyer160

Poster Extraordinaire
Wow, you can really hear just how bad a singer David Lee is!!! Couldn’t make it to the end. “Can’t you hear what I meeeaan”!
Dave's not a singer, he's a frontman!
EVH's fans rave about how good his rhythm playing is. Ironic that one of his most famous tracks has the most pedestrian rhythm playing on it.
Just like how many artists' worst songs are their biggest hits. The public seems to enjoy mediocrity.
I read another article by someone who knew Ed late in his life and he said that if he had to do it all over again he might just stick to piano. Seems like a weird thing for the most iconic rock guitar player in a century to say, but that's Ed.
Ed was winning classical piano competitions as a teenager. The truly surprising thing is that Alex was, too.

TheCheapGuitarist

Tele-Holic
Removing keys from a keyboard song is like removing guitar from all the other VH songs. There's nothing left.

The interesting thing is that low-key rhythm guitar part. I never noticed it before.

Masmus

Tele-Afflicted
Not really surprised, most songs that sell don't usually sell because of one great track the song is good because of how it works together. I always appreciate hearing how a song is put together.