Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience.

Chip

Friend of Leo's
I saw it in Cleveland a few weeks ago. From what I understand is that there are several different companies presenting this show and I’m not sure if they are identical or not. I thought it was interesting and I’m not sure I could have stood to watch much more than the 34 minutes the show lasted. The only thing I took away from the experience is that it’s WAY TO EXPENSIVE! It was nearly $50 a ticket for that 34 minutes of entertainment and they charged for parking. On top of that when the show was over they funneled us out into a room of overpriced souvenirs.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Huh! Now that's pretty cool! Haven't heard of this before now... will keep it in mind if it ever shows up near me. Thanks! My wife is a BIG Van Gogh fan ;) We have several prints of his work hither and yon in the house

aFewGoodTaters

Tele-Meister
We went to the Immersive Van Gogh exhibit that is playing locally (not sure if it's the same one as OP; I know there are a couple of these with similar names).

It was really cool and I'm glad we went, but I thought it was a bit overpriced. The one I saw was a 45 minute loop set to music. There were two different rooms, one large and one smaller, but both played the exact same loop. So all in all, it was an hour and half experience at $75 apiece after fees (not to mention the ridiculous markup on Made In China items in the gift shop - no thanks). Probably wouldn't go back, but it was cool.

Timbresmith1

Friend of Leo's
I saw it in Cleveland a few weeks ago. From what I understand is that there are several different companies presenting this show and I’m not sure if they are identical or not. I thought it was interesting and I’m not sure I could have stood to watch much more than the 34 minutes the show lasted. The only thing I took away from the experience is that it’s WAY TO EXPENSIVE! It was nearly $50 a ticket for that 34 minutes of entertainment and they charged for parking. On top of that when the show was over they funneled us out into a room of overpriced souvenirs.
What? Crazy.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
https://vangoghexpo.com/

We went yesterday, as a Christmas present from my stepson and his family. It was pretty amazing and, I thought, very tastefully done. I enjoyed it more than any part of our trip to Disney. Who else has seen it?

We went in SF a couple months ago It was fun! so many paintings I've admired my whole life. I even enjoyed the tech they used to achieve it.

So glad you enjoyed it too!

Dennyf

Tele-Afflicted
Saw it in Charlotte, NC back in July, I think. Really enjoyed it, especially as an audio and A/V geek. I'd like to see it somewhere else to see how they adapt it to different spaces.

unixfish

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I just saw that last week while we were in Las Vegas. It was at Area 15, an interactive art installation.

I got a picture pre-show and two during.

20211215_120349.jpg
20211215_123004.jpg
20211215_123013.jpg

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
My wife wanted to go so we attended in Kansas City. She enjoyed it and so did I. She is an interior designer by trade and is a lot better at the visual than I am; it was good fun to hear her perception of things and I learned and observed some things because of her.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
We saw it a few weeks ago in Asheville, NC and loved it. One of the best presentations of an artist's work using multi media tech that I've ever seen. Yes it was pricey ([email protected]) but was well worth it.

Here's how we experienced it. We were ushered into a large, well lit exhibit room that included large wall displays of information on the artist and his work. The exhibit is formatted around 5 distinct periods of creativity with an easy to understand summary of each period displayed on the walls. There was also some artwork and a full sized "diorama" of his room that reflected a series of paintings he did of the same room. We found that fully absorbing this pre-exhibit info really helped to enhance the actual main exhibit.

After spending some time there we moved onto the actual exhibit in a much larger space that was encompassed within black walls, ceiling and floor with very low lighting-all of which went to making a dramatic setting for the many back lit large display screens strategically filling the walls, several mid-room display areas and on the floors. The digital images of his artwork are interspersed with his own writing from letters and journals regarding the specific art and the periods of his life that corresponded to the different periods. The words and images are displayed throughout the exhibit on multiple screens simultaneously so that no matter where you stand in the exhibit area you see the same thing as everyone else. All of it is orchestrated to beautiful music. Some, but not all, of the artwork is digitally enhanced, some with motion.
It was fully immersive and well done. I look forward to future exhibits by the same folks on Monet and Leonardo Da Vinci.

upload_2021-12-23_15-40-21.png

upload_2021-12-23_15-40-57.png

Edit: This was "Van Gough Alive"...there are at least 5 different productions that are easily confused.

Last edited:

pixeljammer

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter

We saw one in Denver at $100 per ticket and it sucked. I mean, it REALLY SUCKED. Low-res, badly designed, 1990's stock transitions, no continuity. It was essentially a crappy slideshow. Ripoff. My GF has an Art History degree, and I thought she was going kill someone. (She bought the tickets for us all)

I suspect there are several of these shows, some better than others. I'm not sure why they're suddenly so popular; maybe something changed in the Van Gogh rights management world.

Went to MeowWolf a week later at less than half the cost and got our minds blown.

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I missed it when it was here. But for any fans, the film 'Loving Vincent' is incredible.

The art gallery played it in the theatre one night and I don't think I've ever identified with a character in a film so much before.