Valve Heaven DIY Tube Tester?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Dan Miller, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Dan Miller

Dan Miller Tele-Meister

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks a little light duty to me. I'd imagine it'll cost easily $75-150 in quality parts, plus a ton of labor. For $125 or so you can find a very nice transconductance tester from B&K or Lafayette or Heathkit if you wait around to find one.

I use a baby Lafayette emission tester I got for $12. Muchxs apparently started on the same one hahaha.

Either get a cheap tester for personal use (a good no-go tester), a Hickok, B&K, or high end Heathkit for selling tubes, or if you want to build your own, get a uTracer. It'll do the same things as a $5k Hickok tube curve tracer. You can sell preamp tubes for top dollar with it.

http://www.dos4ever.com/uTracer3/uTracer3_pag0.html

RLee77 and earsfull like this.
  3. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

Looks simple enough to do with junk box parts.

4. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Afflicted

Do it! Let us know how it turns out.

5. Lindsay

Lindsay TDPRI Member

This device was designed for an Australian audience where our location unfortunately means exorbitant freight cost for anything of weight imported so the aforementioned vintage testers become an expensive proposition to import. The transformer listed in the schematic is cheap and available here (Au). The other parts are inexpensive. Granted the U-Tracer would be fantastic but would be beyond many builders in construction, operation and cost. I would take this project for what it is, A simple cheap but functional piece of equipment that anyone with amp building experience can handle.

6. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

What an amazingly cool project the uTracer is... never thought I'd see a microcontroller driving a vacuum tube via a Windows GUI!

7. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Amazing tech. I hope to build a well designed physical implementation of one someday for an engineering project for college credit.

8. Dan Miller

Dan Miller Tele-Meister

Anybody making anything like this with a Mac interface? We have no Windows in our house... ;)

9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Check out the project link, I thought I read that there might be a linux port, which means someone has likely compiled it on mac...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.