Valuing a Les Paul owned guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by warrent, Mar 5, 2018.

1. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

This months trash or treasure ponders the value of a les paul artisan owned by Les Paul

three interesting highlights:

Les Paul’s endorsement contract with Gibson included receiving a sample of every Les Paul variation to verify the quality.

Les Paul’s personal 1977 Les Paul Artisan model (serial number 73007030) spent most of its life residing in Paul’s bedroom and is in mint condition. So mint, in fact, that the original protective plastic and seal still remain on the pickguard.

a general guideline for an instrument involving celebrity ownership is typically four to six times the normal value or range

I wonder how accurate the guideline is? And I assume Les had at lot of Les Pauls.

story here:
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/26963-trash-or-treasure-les-pauls-les-paul-artisan

2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

What's a 68 Strat worth? I'll pay happily 6 times over that for Hendrix' Woodstock Strat :)

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

it totally comes down to paperwork and pedigree , but who are you going to sell it to, I followed the les Paul auctions and out of the 300 plus guitars in his collections a good number of them went at street value , by that I mean the price a les paul would cost today , each one went with a letter of authenticity from the auction house and his estate , now if you would be dumping said item for the cash to an idiot like me , I would end up vault storing it and it would never get played , mojo intact how ever if you are selling it to big money collector they would want to know "did he Play it , live , when ? is it documented by photos, is there any other providence to that fact , other than that you have a guitar that may or may not have been owned , loved ,and possibly played by the man himself.
    how much cash would he be willing to pay for this.

4. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

The value they gave for that Artisan was the street price for a good condition example.

But, that Artisan is more of an untouched collector/museum grade guitar which could bring a higher price point.

I agree on the feeling that the Les Paul pedigree might mean very little for this guitar seeing as it was basically untouched.

5. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

That guideline is way out of whack, unless the guitar was played in lots of well documented shows and on many albums, alas, ultimately everything is worth just what someone is willing to pay for it. I would value it at around 5K.

6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

That is an awesome guitar

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Any guitar is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I think Paul Allen paid a couple million or more for one of Jimi's most famous Strats, and Kirk Hammett apparently paid $2mil for Peter Green's LP. That being said, Carter's in Nashville recently sold the supposedly first LP Burst for $625k, and another Burst for $350k! I guess hedge fund guys are still making a killing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.