1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Value of a modified 1972 Telecaster

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by magneticfield, Nov 29, 2014.

1. magneticfield

magneticfield TDPRI Member

Hi, I am thinking of buying this Syd Barrett-style beauty. It's a 1972 tele, refinished in black, with new pickguard and dimarzio superdistortion humbucker in the neck. 1 string guide missing.

A few questions:

1. Anything weird (serial, possible scam)?
    2. How much should I offer?
    3. Will I have any problems because of the missing string guide?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Missing string guide is easily replaced. Looks sharp to me. I would value it at the value of the parts maybe plus a little. I think a black pickguard or maybe tortise shell would look better.

3. magneticfield

He's asking 1500$...I think it's too much

4. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Personally, I'd pass on that one. A super distortion DiMarzio on a tele is not my cup of tea.

Otherwise, as a player guitar it's worth maybe $1200. USD.

5. MrTwang

MrTwang Friend of Leo's

Wouldn't really call it Syd Barrett style - his was a black esquire with a white pickguard and rosewood neck with reflective discs stuck on it. The only similarity is the black body and "added shiny bit"

6. magneticfield

Yes, I was referring to the shiny bit :D

$1200 is in my budget. Other opinions?

7. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Neck looks correct... and the missing string guide is not an issue. That neck itself is worth a few dollars.

Are you questioning the serial number? Looks about right to me. It should line up with the date stamp on the neck (within a few months) - which is not shown.

The case looks original, that is worth a few dollars as well.

All original in good - great condition is about $3200 for these IIRC. Refinish cuts that value in half, and changed parts even further. $1200 seems about right.

8. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

How was the PU routing done? When routed too deep the body would effectively be destroyed in my opinion. The routing should not be any deeper than the neck pocket or the guitar will become unstable. Glueing in a piece of wood can never truely fix that.

9. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I agree.

It's a shame it was refinished. :cry:

10. Twinkie

Twinkie Tele-Meister

So it's a little bit of a fixer-upper. $1500 is probably worth it. Most Teles from the same period go for $1000 to $2000 more. I'd change out the neck PU for something Duncan verity and get a different pickguard, but hey, this could be a fun project.

11. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I try to look at the bright side of a refinished guitar. It doesn't hurt the playability of the guitar (unless horribly done), and it makes a nice guitar much more affordable. It also gives you a reason to re finish it the color you want without further devaluing the guitar ;)

12. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

$1500 is not a bad price for a '71 that can be returned to stock fairly easily. Depends on the condition of the neck. Most '70s era Teles with factory fretwork, need some help (and investment).

13. magneticfield

I ended up buying the guitar and it sounds great but a few doubts are arising. I know the neck pickup is not original, but the bridge pickup is not staggered, so does it mean none of them is original? How can I know?

14. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Tele-Afflicted

72 it should be starggered so it's not original. Still with non orignal pickups, I Agree with the 1500$ suggestion if you like the guitar. 72 tellies can be great. And when they're already so much modified, you don't have to worry about doing your own mods and changes if there's something you fancy.
    Missing string tree cannot be a problem. Most 72 have only one (the one that's left). Second one has been possibly added, or maybe the guitar is from end of 72. The only thing I don't like in this case is the hole, you can either put another string tree or fill it.

15. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

Are you a luthier? Do you know this for a fact or is it just your belief? Just being curious here, I'd like to know. :?:

I like fixer-uppers, you buy them for not much and they usually can't lose more value whatever you do with them. In fact, chances are the'll gain some value if you take good care of them.

Personally, I would have a luthier fill that 2nd string tree hole. Two string trees don't look good. Just my opinion.

And congrats on a cheap nice Tele!

16. magneticfield

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few more shots of the pickup. Nothing written on it. Is it definitely not vintage then?

17. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

It's definitely not the original pickup, and I doubt it's vintage, looks too clean.
    But if it sounds good, why worrying?
    And if it does not, there are excellent repros out there that will make your guitar sound good, so no worries... ;)

18. magneticfield

I'm not worrying, but I paid for something that's not there. I am lucky though, it is still a good deal (instead of a great one). :)

19. 71Tele

71Tele Tele-Meister

Bah, we all make mistakes, it's part of the game and that's how we learn. ;)
    There are people who made much worse mistakes. Like paying big bucks for a fake... :rolleyes:

If it's still a good deal, then, good for you. ;)

Make this nice Tele your own and take good care of it.
    I'm confident it will quickly become a part of you. :)

20. Mgeek

Mgeek TDPRI Member

Was this in the UK? (I see from your location that you are)

How much in quids if so?

Personally I wouldn't sweat the alterations- just get a scratchplate that looks the part and a couple of decent fifties reissue pickups thatll probably sound better than the originals anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.