Valco 510-1.B Supreme

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by BobbyZ, Jan 1, 2014.

1. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Well son on the beach ! I missed your post Voodoo Idol. Same dammed thread I found !
    Thanks. I may as well post the pictures.

Attached Files:

2. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

Bobby,

the 510-1C is similar but used a 6SQ7 for V1. same is circa 1952.
    also drawn by "MM", like your 510-1B.

i'm not digital enough to upload, but can send via PM if interested.

mitchfit

PS---love your station wagon. used to have a '69 122-S 2 door, but had to park it when "premium" [98+ octane leaded gas] was no longer. what do you burn in yours?

3. BobbyZ

Mitch if you could PM that would be great ! Funny thing is I was all over the Web looking for Kay amps because the guy bought a Kay guitar at the same time. So far the only one with the same cab is from in that old TDPRI thread but it's not the same amp. Too many knobs.
    So far the the only schmatic with the same tubes is the Vaco 510-1.B. I'm not home now so it'll be next week before I get anything done. Sure would llike to find the right schmatic since I'm fixing it for the original owner.

The 122s runs fine with whatever gas I out in it. BUT that's with the B18. I rebuilt a B20 for it and the CR is doing to go up so it could get interesting.
    Would'a had it in last fall but I found an M41 overdrive and was half way through a rebuild when the garage dropped to below zero.
    If I ever get done with amps I might sneak the trans into the basement this winter.

4. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

^^^

perhaps these will be better?

a 510-1 [no letter suffix]:

http://www.notecannons.com/schematics/supro_supreme.jpg

pre-510 designation schem. circa 1950:

http://www.notecannons.com/schematics/valco_supreme_schematic_72dpi.jpg

if that is too low-fi of a jpg, i might be able to get Colin McCubbin to send a better image.

both above from:

http://www.notecannons.com/index.html

the overall external proportions appear very similar to below national circa 1941. the knob count is different, but that could due to kay ~VS~ national design specs given to valco. cabinet(s) could be built by anyone...

more fishin' holes to try:

https://www.google.com/search?q=val...tCZTIkAfSp4GgBw&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1173&bih=504

mega tranny looks a lot like this'n, on left. but that one has a trem circuit and was built for "Ampower", they called it the model 80.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/Draak/AMPS/Valco-02.jpg

and if all else fails, try contacting Terry Dobbs AKA Mr. Valco @:

http://www.valcoamp.com/

he is beyond expert on all things valco, and might be able to ID this amp circuit just from your pics.

mitchfit

PS the 122-S(port) had a B20-B engine. twin side draft SU carbs, and factory tubing tuned headers. had a 5 point independent coil spring rear diff, and would run over 120 mph on it's speedo, before i got worried and backed out of it. had a 16 gauge steel body, weighed 4K+ lbs, and would get about 35MPG when driven sanely.

paying any attention here Detroit?

5. BobbyZ

I'll look those over thanks !

In the states the 122s were all the S model with twin SUs either the B18-B or in 68 or 69 the B20-B.
    Your's sounds more like a race car. What kind of rear diff was in it? That wasn't factory.

There a tricky motor to build in that if you don't get the quench area right with block decking and head gaskets they'll ping like crazy. Get that right and 10 to 1 and even a bit more will work on 91 octane.
    (at least that's what I was told I'll find out this spring!)

Oh the speedos I spent a day with a guy that restores old Volvos and asked about mine. At 55 it reads 80 he said "sounds like you got a good one."

6. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

standard fixed tube differential, just with 2ea struts above and below axle tubes [like traction bars] to both frame rails, and a long diagonal bar from frame rail on one side to diff axle tube on other side to prevent side movement in coil spring set up. and IIRC, a heavy cloth strap to limit how far the axle could get from frame at end of spring travel. believe it was all an OEM set up.

never did clock mine, but when driving on SOCAL oil embargo era 55 mph freeways, my speedo said 60, just like everybody else's. no idea how much variation it was from a true 120, as reading correct @ freeways speeds does not prove same for top end. but it was quite fast, starting to catch air on two lane back road rises between livermore and danville. that's why i figured it was fast enough.

just checked specs for a '65 [slightly smaller engine] they say top speed was 92 mph, so i doubt the 120 reading was right also. they also say weight was 2,400, brainfart on that'n too.

mine died of un-natural causes, extended exposure to TX sunlight when parked. upholstery shredded, steering wheel splitting, glass de-laminating. was a shame really, good car. got rid of it in 2003.

are the valves gonna be OK @ 10-1 without lead?

7. BobbyZ

Used a head off an AQ 130 boat motor it had the hardend seats for no lead. You can just get the hard seats put in but the boat head had bigger valves.
    Let the machine shop make the call there. Mod the boat head for a car or install hard seats in the car head.

8. mitchfit

mitchfit Tele-Holic

..."In the states the 122s were all the S model with twin SUs"...

were the tube type headers also a standard item? {as opposed to the cast iron units usually found on production vehicles}

mitchfit

PM sent.

9. BobbyZ

No the tube headers where after market or from Volvos factory hipo parts catalog R Sport I think it was called.

Just got home so hopefully I get get back to that amp in the next few days !

10. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

On a Field Coil Speaker from a Vintage stereo:
    Does anyone know where the 5 or 6 wires go on the tubes or whatever?

The two yellow wires on my project go to a 6 tooth plug fastened to the rear of the 12" speaker. The Yellows I'm guessing measuring 8ohms fasten to my speaker plugs, but I've got 2 green, 1 black, 1 black and yellow or yellow and black like a CT wire, then the two yellow wires and and round speaker wire attachment fitting on inside/outside of chassis. SO there's little holes in the chassis for the wires. But it was a 5y3 rect plus 2X6V6 power section with 9 more octal tubes the 6SC7 being the phase inverter, so conversion to 5C3 is a no-brainer, just want to use that pristine FC Speaker. This isn't going to leave my house, just a beautiful vintage chassis. I am also adding a switch where I can select a 5E3 9 pin preamp or the octals.

Also - should I just hook up my modern transformer as normal? I've converted these easily from FC to PM but never the FC to amp. Other amp schematics are incomplete because they never used these plugs. Thanks!!

It came from an o;d late 40's stereo with a great old PT but the usual two OT large for bass-mids and small 2 wire for treble - the small 2 wire just has yellow and black on one side, nothing else. All were mounted inside chassis though and I didn't pay attention figuring I'd go PM - but now I'd like to use the FC since it's in such great condition.

11. BobbyZ

I'm not looking at that Kay right now but if I rember right there's two things going on with all the wires. One is the output transformer mounted on the speaker and the other is the field coil which is wired in like a choke in the power supply.
    On the Kay the wires were all cut to pull the chassis (I would have left a little of the insulation on each one but who ever cut them didn't)

Update on the Kay. I spent hours one night (at work) finding every schematic I could of amps with the same tubes but never got one with the same controls a guitar input, mic input and volumes. Two channels but not with the dual triode I'm used to. Then the computor I used crashed!
    Luckly my girlfriend grabs old tube related books when she can and in a Popular Mechanics book of electonic projects from about 1950 there's a similer amp with a record player.
    Then I got busy with other things and slid the darn thing to the back of the bench.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.