1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Vacation reports…Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 3, 2020.

Vacation reports…Yay or Nay?

Poll closed Oct 1, 2020.
  1. Yay

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. Nay

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve wondered something. Would posting a thread about our vacations—complete with pics because they do happen—be a welcomed topic of thread discussion here? Or would that be the 21st century equivalent of being invited over to someone’s house in the 1950s to see their 35mm slide presentations of their summer vacation?

Fourteen months ago my wife and I bought an RV camper. She is not yet fully retired from her business, and we have an AirB&B apartment we rent out to guests, so our trips in the RV are generally relegated to 4-6 day trips, most months. Once or twice a year we go out of state and for longer excursions, but so far eleven days on the road has been our longest trip.

My wife has long been into Facebook, and she posts pics and videos of our adventures on her Facebook page. They seem to be quite the hit with her Facebook friends. More than once she’s been told that friends live vicariously through the posts she does. At a recent graduation ceremony for an 18 year old grandson, my son-in-law’s mother talked about us “going to all these places that I’ll probably never see.” These comments would seem to indicate that creating such threads here on TDPRI might be welcomed.

But I also can’t get the image out of my head of the ‘50s phenomenon of bored friends and family members sitting in a darkened living room looking at a viewing screen with pictures projected onto it by Dad’s carousel 35mm slide projector.

So, my question as stated in the title is would such “vacation” reports be welcomed here? In the “Pros” column, pictures of the Lone Star State and elsewhere in these United States would be featured. Also included would be pics of our camper and tow vehicle, for RVers/camping enthusiasts. And pics of our dog, Bella, would definitely be included. She’s been featured in threads on TDPRI numerous times already, and on Facebook she has her own following. As my one of my granddaughters said, “She’s just so stinkin’ cute!”

As for the “Cons” column…well, I’m not sure I can be objective about that. Because it’s my life, my wife, my dog, my camping rig, it’s interesting and fun to me. But I don’t want to bore members of TDPRI if it’s of no interest to them.

So, be brutally honest: TDPRI thread vacation reports…Yay, or Nay?

2. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

Hmm, I went nay, because it's not musical.

But thinking about it, I just mean I wouldn't really be interested. But I can also ignore threads I don't enjoy so just do what makes you happy man!

3. LGOberean

Well, I appreciate that, really. Yeah, I could just plow ahead and do what I want, but the fact is I don't want to if there would be opposition to it, or worse, overwhelming apathy toward it. I have an outlet in my wife's Facebook posts for such a thing.

So, thus far, one vote Nay.

4. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Definitely post the photos! Unlike those slide shows from the 1950s, we have the option of not clicking on a thread if we don't wish to participate.

Our family vacation was cancelled this year due to current world events, so I'm even more excited to see what other people are doing.

5. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

I vote Yay. I won't contribute (since we rarely take fun vacations) but would love to read about other people's experiences.

electrichead and LGOberean like this.
  6. rockhound

rockhound TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Not quite my tempo, but go ahead if you want to if it makes you happy to share. Thanks for at least asking!

LGOberean and Gaz_ like this.
  7. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

TDPRI is where I come to when I want to hear about things such as chickens moving a wing after coming out of a rotisserie. Vacations? Quite frankly very boring. But if you like it, knock yourself out.

LGOberean likes this.
  8. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I vote yay because there are also other threads where we talk about our personal lives.

electrichead, CajunJ and LGOberean like this.
  9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I say why not? Might be a chance to see some things I wouldn't otherwise see.

But feel free to do some serious editing...:twisted:;):) ...as in just the good stuff, please.

10. Slap Axe

Slap Axe Tele-Meister

Why not? Half of the stuff on here consists of people’s ramblings about themselves anyway.;)

11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

@LGOberean

I voted yay. If people don’t want to look, they don’t have to click. As long as you are not vague with the thread title, go for it!

nojazzhere and LGOberean like this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Why not .... except not Right Now. Let's get this virus problem sorted out first. No one should be-bop around the countryside 'sharing'.

Don't create VACATION GAS with all your pretty pictures of fun traveling around.

Also, as on Facebook/etc, don't show pictures of your feet at the beach while your local hoodlum wonders if you're home or not.

13. unclearty

unclearty Tele-Holic

Why not??? ..maybe I'll see someplace that I'd like to go...

14. LGOberean

FWIW, I didn't have something ready to post today. I didn't have my mind already made up before I asked the question. I was thinking more ahead. My wife's birthday is coming up soon, and we're going to take a short trip to Inks Lake. Of course, I could post threads/pics/descriptions of the camping trips we've taken in the last 14 months, but I was thinking more about posting after this next trip. If the results of this poll and the feedback from this thread doesn't dissuade me first.

15. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm reminded of my Uncle's slide presentations as a kid. I voted Yay, but it you drag out the slide projector, I'm changing my vote.

nojazzhere and LGOberean like this.
  16. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Go for it. It's not like being held captive at someones slide show. Members have the choice to open or ignore a thread.

LGOberean likes this.
  17. LGOberean

Interesting results thus far. The comments are mostly encouraging, but the voting is almost evenly divided between the Yays and the Nays.

upload_2020-9-3_13-22-48.png

18. LGOberean

:lol:

My Dad had a slide projector with the carousel. I feel your pain. :twisted:

nojazzhere and telleutelleme like this.
  19. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Yeah, why not? It might be interesting. :)

20. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

exactly...

eddiewagner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.