V6/Vintage Brand guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by RoscoeElegante, Sep 3, 2018.

1. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Guitar Rez here in town carries them.
    The look great, and play well.
    I’ll plug one in next time I’m there.

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  3. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

One of Trevor Wilkinson’s brands. Generally have a good bang for the bucks reputation.

RoyalBaby likes this.
  4. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Some sites say they've dropped off in QC in the last few years. Ohers say no, they're so machine-/mass-made that they're churned out like reliably identical widgets.

Thoughts/bump?

5. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

A local store used to carry them a couple of years back. I liked the Strat copy and the bass they had.
    Felt solid.
    I often thought that they picked a very poor name. Google “vintage guitars” and it’s a long way down before you even get close.

6. craigh9

craigh9 Tele-Meister

I had one. It was okay.

7. Golem

Golem Tele-Holic

Tried their Hendrix strat and was impressed.

8. Crarg

Crarg TDPRI Member

Recently bought a new reissue 62AB tele for $750 AUS - hard to get here. It sounds like a Tele (including ear shattering Treble on bridge PU. ) Pretty well made although paint job looks half done on mine - but not others I've seen pictures of. I think it is good value since Teles here are at least $1800.

9. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

What's your thoughts about it compared to an american standard.

I'm trying to get a superstrat right now, but no response from the seller. I'm on the fence about building a guitar like that instead, but I don't think I like them enough to waste the time.

Other option is a charvel mex or japanese.

Not curious about vintage's strat specifically, but just how their strat compares to an am standard. The superstrat type that I'm looking at is alder and maple, and about $300 open box. I usually expect something that cheap to be basswood. Iffy on the hardware and feel like I should probably just spend what it costs to get a charvel.

10. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Vintage v Fender USA .Difficult choice .....o_O
    I have a vintage VN 99 Zip .lowest of the low ,cheapest of the cheap ,bought used for 30 quid.Wilkingson hardware .Very nice fret board ,low action .Good player great fun . And a semi hollow even .I would happily play it on stage .

11. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Their V6 Strat in Daphne Blue that they call Laguna Blue gives me GAS, but I don't see it anymore on Ebay, so I don't know where I could get one. There's one dealer on Ebay that has every other color Strat but that one. PS- I found a dealer in North Carolina that has that color in stock. I must resist. I have too many Strats already.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  12. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

They are very good guitars.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I had a V2 Tele style which I played a while as a spare guitar.

Well made, good attention to quality IMO.

It had Wilkinson pickups in it which were also very nice.

I made it into this;-

[​IMG]

14. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

I had one of the SG styles. Very thick poly coat, cheap-but-cheerful humbuckers, tuners were OK. Probably about on par with an Epiphone but a bit cheaper, and as good as a good Squier (you really have to pick your Squiers though). One plus on the Squiers and Epis is that Vintage often use wood closer to the high-end models (at least in names - lots of mahoganies!), if you subscribe to the tonewood thing.

To D_W_Gph, I have an American Standard Strat and it's a great guitar in every way. Playability, finish, hardware... All great. The stock pick-ups are brilliant in my 2010 model. If you were comparing the Vintages and the Mexican Standards, you might have a harder time noticing the difference. But I do find QC on the MiMs to be fairly good and that's part of what justifies the difference in price.

15. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

The Tele's come with 500 K pots...change those and no more Ice pick...the 500 k can sound pretty damn good rolled back a little on the volume pot..and a Treble bleed if you want to keep the spank...great guitars!

16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I used to buy (from Tower!) the British ' Guitar and Bass' magazine and loved the full-page Vintage ads and guitar reviews (usually positive) in there- cool twists on classic guitar designs.
    I always wished Vintage dealers were in US stores to check out...

Edit- sadly, Tower Records, the music shops I used to go to ( in NoVa), and my $$, are all gone!

DougM likes this.
  17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I used to buy the Brit Hi-Fi and guitar magazines at Tower, as well as books and CDs and Photo magazines too. I really miss them and Border's. I don't like Barnes and Noble as much as either one of them.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  18. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Thanks, Matthias! That's just what I was looking for. A lot of the time with reviews of lower end guitars, you get people saying "the same as a fender american standard in fit and finish", but an experienced builder or tech can spot some differences. If it's on par with the mex guitars, that's pretty good.

I hear you on the material. I'm not a tone wood fanatic so much as understanding how wood density can affect sustain, and thick soft finishes can make a guitar feel a little dead. I don't know that you can hear it, but a "live" feeling guitar is nicer.

I'm trying to figure out at this point if I want to scratch build something like this and buy templates. It'll cost me the same or more than the vintage, but there won't be any questions about hardware, and the wood will be a little better. I can work with something decent as long as every single piece of hardware doesn't need to be changed - when that happens, the economic equation starts to not make sense, and sloppy bridges and tuners are on my hit list of no-nos.

I see all of these as a lot of guitar for the money, even if they're just "good". I wish reviewers could resist the urge to say they're equivalent to domestic guitars unless that's actually true, though.

19. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

In early 2000's ( after Ken Burn's Jazz film came out) I decided to give myself a ' Jazz education' for a few years- which basically means I feel like I bought every Jazz CD that either Borders or Tower had in stock!

They carried the ' recommended by Ken Burns'/'best of' compilation CD's of individual Jazz artists- good values/lots of music for me to check out.
    Miss 'em!

DougM likes this.
  20. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

My son has a Vintage jazz bass, it is a bit sorry for itself now but the new ones are comparable to Squier. They do a few artist models like the Jerry Donahue one and a Graham Oliver one ( my guitar hero when I was 16 - no, it wasn't cool even then).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.