1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

V3xplorer Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by whodatpat, Mar 2, 2018.

1. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

A friend asked me to build a custom guitar he has been sketching since he was a kid. It is really a simple mashup that I am surprised I had not seen before. (This is where some smart ace shows me rare examples in production since 1962….) Ok now that we are past that, he has sketched this ax since he was a young boy and long before the internet was conceived, so I accept it as an original idea.

It is Flying V top with an Explorer bottom and a hard BC Rich like point joining them in the back. It will have an Explorer type neck and electronics treatment. It has grown on me to the point that I am starting to hope he hates it and I get to keep it. ;)
    Templates.jpg

I didn’t plan on another build thread but I didn’t want to ask a bunch of questions out of context. I have some concerns about the neck. I have made lots of guitars but this is my first set neck, first Gibson scale and only my second angled headstock.

First concern is Gibson is a 24 3/4 (12 3/8 @ 12th) scale and that’s what the template is. However the true measurements for Gibson vary by year and factory. Before 1959 it was 24 9/16, in the 60s it was 24 5/8, then from 69 on it has been 24 9/16. So I am going with the StewMac recommended pre-slotted 24.9/16 (12 9/32 @ 12th). I had major intonation issues with my last non-fender scale build. Should I reprint all of my templates a fraction of a percent smaller or can I safely compensate for the difference with bridge placement?
    Fret Board.jpg

Second concern in the Hotrod Truss Rod. I like these a lot for two piece necks but I am worried about the end being exposed like this at the nut. With the traditional rod there is wood filler at the nut that the rod presses on. In this case the brass ends will simply press against the fretboard. At heal I am comfortable with the glue joint. At the nut I am not so sure.
    truss rod.jpg

2. Trow

Trow Tele-Holic

That looks awesome! I haven't seen anything like that before, but I'm looking forward to seeing it completed.

crazydave911 and Arch Stanton like this.
  3. whodatpat

Well I didn’t hear anything about my two questions on scale and truss rod choice, so now that I have a day to spend on it I made some progress.

My band saw is entirely too underpowered to re-saw mahogany this wide. The blade was meandering and mostly smoking. I had planned on renting shop time at World of Hardwood near Baltimore. But apparently they went out of business. So rather than blow off a good day I went with the tools I have. Table saw plunge to cut the majority of the wood then finish with the band saw.

bandsaw.jpg
    Table Saw.jpg

I spent a good amount of time making a sled. Haven’t needed one before, but now that I needed to cut a consistent angle on the headstock, it was worth spending the time to make it right.

Headstock 1.jpg

I finished it up with the handsaw and hand plane.

Headstock 3.jpg

To make the tenon I needed to cut a 3 degree shoulder where the neck will meet the body. Can you see what I did wrong? (3 degrees the wrong way! ) I had to recut these. Thankfully I needed to remove more wood rather than having cut them in the opposite way incorrectly.

first 3 deg.jpg Tennon.jpg

Little trick. To make the splice thinner than ¼ inch which is the thinnest my planer woll go, I kept adding strips of masking tape till it was just thin enough.

spline.jpg

Another trick is I use this special bit for the truss rod hole. I learned about it in another Explorer thread. I found this particular one on Amazon for like $15 so it was worth it to me.

Truss Rod Hole.jpg
    I cut out the neck with the band saw and shaped it with the router. One thing I wanted to point out. The reason why I left the back of the headstock till last was so that I could keep a level surface for this part. Now I can spend some time thinking about piecing the headstock together. This was an issue for Gibson too.

Headstock Jigsaw.jpg

Gibson Headstock.jpg

4. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Holic

Nice man. That's a cool shape. Kind of reminds me of the old Washburn Culprit Dimebag signature guitars. Don't see them very often.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

When I put a Gibson bridge on, I move the saddles forward about 80% and put the break over point of the high e at the measurement equaling the nut to 12 measurement, which I think is 12-9/16" on a stewmac board. The bass side gets tilted 1/8 back from that. I use the middle of the Nashville bridge casting as the pivot point.

6. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

I'm digging this a lot.

Carry on!

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Did some gibson guitars have some kind of black bakelite/plastic veneer on the headstock? May be worth doing to cover up the join.

Newb

8. whodatpat

Yes, and I am having a incredibly difficult time finding it. The Ebony they sell at Stewmac is too short. I have some black lacewood that I may use.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    crazydave911 likes this.
  9. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

StewMac sells ebony “peg head veneer”. Check it out.

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. whodatpat

11. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

crazydave911 and whodatpat like this.
  12. whodatpat

I won’t show you the gory details of gluing up the headstock. Just know it took two tries to get it right. Sanding the face flat is easy enough. The backside Is a different story. The Safe-T-Planer is nice, but I don’t have one. However this bowl bit that I use in the Fender Neck shaping jig works great. Use the highest speed, take off thin shavings with each pass. And presume that the tool is trying to remove your fingers. ALWAYS presume that.
    IMG_5219.JPG

To line up the headstock from the back I made a new jig with a center line and used the laser to position it from the back.
    IMG_5220.JPG

All cleaned up. Ready to set the truss rod, fret board and laminate.
    IMG_5221.JPG

Now I really need to find somewhere to plane my 16” wide body blank. [emoji6]

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. whodatpat

Spent the better part of a day making a router sled for the 16” wide body blank. This is a LOT more work than running it through the planer....
    IMG_5243.JPG

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. sjohnbruton

sjohnbruton Tele-Holic

Very cool! Keep up the great work!

John

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. whodatpat

Any Maryland based guitar builders, note this place. Hereford Parks and Rec. Woodshop. They have all the industrial size woodworking equipment. $100.00 to join for a year! The place is an hour from my house but still, it was worth that and the fee for me to use the oversized planer and joiner. Now I can go whenever I have a stack of wood to work on. Anyhow, now that I got to have a real shop day I should be able to make real progress on this beast again. I re-sawed some of the scraps to use as finish testers. The Walnut is for another project.
    IMG_5615.JPG

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

That's actually a pretty cool shape but I can't imagine where you'd ever find a case or even a gigbag for it.

crazydave911 and whodatpat like this.
  17. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Very cool. I sure hope you do a generous volute, since you removed a bunch of wood at the truss rod nut. Any reason you didn’t use the Allen headed version?

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. whodatpat

I am pretty sure I will have to build a custom case. Or there will be a lot of peanuts and bubble wrap in my future.

crazydave911 and RodeoTex like this.
  19. whodatpat

I was trying to stay true to the Gibson. Yes there is a large volute on the back. I am also prepared to start over if I have to. There are a lot of firsts for me on this guitar. In any case if it’s not gonna work I will do it over.

crazydave911 and ctmullins like this.
  20. whodatpat

I probably have 8 hours on the neck tenon and this joint. I was waiting on my digital angle gauge from China that wont be here till December. Then I remembered my iPhone has one, so I was able to get back to work.
    IMG_0014.JPG
    IMG_5631.JPG
    IMG_5632.JPG

With that done I attached the fret board. Hopefully I can start carving this tomorrow.
    IMG_5627.JPG
    IMG_5633.JPG

crazydave911 and eallen like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.