V-Picks Review.....

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by TeleJedi, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Chase TM

Chase TM Tele-Meister

I pick very, very light, and I'm only using 11s. Granted it takes a long time to wear them down, but 3-4 hours a day for a month = very rough edges.

2. TeleJedi

TeleJedi Tele-Meister

That's fine because most of us don't have a chance to play 3-4 hours everyday :)

3. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

I liked the grip on them, what I did not like is the clicketyclack sound they make on he strings

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

4. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

There really is one for ewveryone and only a few of them have that weird chirp, but the ones that do are pretty evident.

I have bought at least two dozen in the last two years, trying all the small and medium ones out but I keep coming back to the small pointed nite-glow (thick three-sided Jazz III glow in the dark).

Yesterday I recieved:
    a couple of "pearly gates" small pointed (favorite shape in a new material)
    a Screamer (a bit bigger than above) in Chick Pick pink (cancer research donation)
    a Euro II, which has holes in it so it sticks even better. Very much a 1.5mm Dunlop. I don't like it at all.
    a Tradition Ultra Lite. Same as a Fender Medium but completely different tone. I love this for "Wish You Were Here" style strumming.

The small pointed lasts me about 3 months or 100hrs of playing. Twice as long as a set of strings, so I'm OK with the $3.99 price tag.

5. TeleJedi

TeleJedi Tele-Meister

The chirpy sounds can be greatly reduced, it's a matter of the way you attack the strings.

6. Rob Moody

Rob Moody Tele-Meister

Got some more V picks, trying out some Dimension Juniors. Bloody excellent picks so far!

7. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

Got a Diamond V-pick a few days ago from djangobooks.com. 4.75 mm pick for my Gypsy Jazz guitars.

8. ADinNYC

ADinNYC Friend of Leo's

I concur regarding the chirping issue others have mentioned. And, the grip thing is bogus. These suckers get plenty slippery when my hand gets sweaty.

9. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

I agree, they do get slippery. I have to keep rubbing them on my pants. Also, I have nearly lost them several times because I lose my grip and they are clear.

I actually like using them. Love the thicker tone. There are several I like. I switch from 10's to 9's for string gauge (for other reasons), but I noticed the chirping settled down quite a bit. It may be that I attack differently on the new gauge of strings, though.

I want to get some of the smoky mountain, maybe the "glow in the dark" or the colored ones.

Just to be clear, I do like the picks, but they do get slick for me sometimes...

10. sdlotus

sdlotus TDPRI Member

I love picks so i had to try one.I ordered one pick.When i got it and opened it up i thought this is not what i ordered but after looking closer the one i ordered was there.They sent me a free one that was different to try.Thought that was pretty good for just buying one pick.Not real sure i don't like the free one better........stanley

11. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

My exact experience.

12. PraiseCaster

PraiseCaster Poster Extraordinaire

Medium Rounded, Ruby Red (there easier to find than the clear).

Problem is, my son keeps taking em!

13. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

A really nice guy at guitar store in Eugene, OR just straight up gave me one of these picks. I thought it was a pretty nice pick, but I still prefer the "jazz iii" style picks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.