1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

V Necks - Which year's Teles?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Artslap, May 20, 2019.

1. Artslap

Artslap Tele-Afflicted

OK boffins,

Which Fender years are famous for their "V" neck profiles?

I've got an '82 Smith Strat that has a V profile neck and I've decided that these fit my hand best.

I've got an original '72 Tele that has quite a thick "C" and while I love the guitar, I'd love it better with a V.

I've heard the Eric Johnson Strat, modeled after his '57, has a soft V.

Please let me know.

Any other info on V neck years, regardless of model, would also be appreciated.

CP.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I know that the MIJ '52 Telecaster reissues from the mid-90's have V-necks (soft V) that transition to full C up the neck. Here are some pics of the profile at the 1st fret and the profile at the 12th fret of my 1994 neck. I just got it a few weeks ago for a partscaster, and I love it.

Specs:
    6230 vintage small frets
    7.25” radius
    1.65” wide at nut
    2.20” wide at heel at 21st fret
    .90” deep at 1st fret
    .97” deep at 12th fret

IMG_1285.JPG IMG_1286.JPG

The fellow I bought it from sent me this pic, where you can see the V down near the headstock.

IMG_1004.jpg

jondanger likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

57 Tele and Strat. Donohue Teles have it - my Guitar teachers MIJ 90-something did. Some 57 reissue Strats. My Setzer Hotrod Gretsch (97, first year) has a pronounced boat-neck, it's supposedly moddelled off his 58 original.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

More Vs on Strats than Teles IME. Baja has a big and beefy soft V. My favorite contour is a V .The Baja, while not perfect for ease of play (just too big for my small hands) , the Baja doesn t effect my carpel tunnel.
    I have 2 Strat V (Boat) necks from warmouth and they are perfect; just so you know where I m coming from. I also really like the limited run of normal and exotic wood WD necks on Stratosphere. They are a perfect 1/2 circle. Every so often the difference between that and a V is in the way a little , but generally not. Plus they re unfinished so you can V them as much as you want w sanding. I asked this same question a while back , and it does seem Strats necks have some good Vs, and Teles, at best only V ish contours.

5. 8livesleft

8livesleft TDPRI Member

I have a 2004 model Japanese 52 Tele with a V neck. I understand though that Fender japan had a lot of variants and options so I can't say if any single variant can be called standard.

Sent from my ASUS_X01BDA using Tapatalk

6. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup, 90's MIJ/CIJ TL-52s. My AVRI 56 Strat had one too.

Nice necks on those TL-52s.

7. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Have you checked out the Musikraft blackguard necks? Lots of V necks to pick from

8. bugo

bugo Tele-Holic

I have a Strat with a soft V neck and a Tele with a hard V neck. The two are quite different.

9. acer

acer TDPRI Member

56, 57 specced strats mostly are, Jimmie vaughan, EC, EJ strats and Baja teles

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.