UV/black lights, do you use them to look at your nitro finished guitars?

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
It’s perfect for that!

You can see exactly where finish stops and starts sometimes it’s not visible to the naked eye
Ok you’ve got me curious. I also have a les Paul getting a headstock repair. That should also be nitro and would really show the repair with the black light. SOLD!

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
When I first got mine I took it into the kitchen

The cabinets/counter weren’t as clean as I thought they were, guess I need to do a better job
Im on a tablet with my thumb over the avatars. I kept seeing yours in my periphery and would have sworn it was Ace Frehley. I just saw white with dark around the eyes.

jrblue

Friend of Leo's
No. I use a solar-powered (and really cost-effective) technology called "daylight." This system employs a whole spectrum of wavelengths as well as UV, and delivers really high-quality imaging, IMO. However, it does require access to a giant ball of flaming gas.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
I got one recently (a UV light that is) to look at my guitars just out of curiosity

Although some people use them to find finish flaws/repairs I have an unhealthy obsession with back of neck wear… I know… I’m sick

So I wanted to see how my guitars were going along and interestingly my less played jimmy page tele has more finish wear on the neck than my workhorse A.O. 60’s

The A.O. Has about 6 months more playing time on it, they must have sprayed the jimmy neck a lot thinner than the 60’s neck

Any of you guys like to make observations with a UV light?

What do you use yours for?
I think that by using a UV light, you can see whether someone has pee'd on your guitar.

BryMelvin

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Same here, I routinely go scorpion hunting in the yard. If I can control them in the yard I am less likely to have one wander into the house.

For those who may not know, the Arizona bark scorpion is extremely venomous and its stings are quite painful, even fatal on the rare occasion. Mine felt like someone was jamming my toe into an electrical outlet. For about 24 hours!
Sorry for taking so long to reply, but my"yard" is in the wild not city...I can't control them. JUst watch for them. Note the avatar.. taken in my "yard" (which is a mile around the edge).

rdjones

Tele-Holic
Here at the house we use black/UV lights as seasonal howloween decorations.
"She" is of Transylvanian ancestry and takes that stuff seriously.

I recently found out that another family member collects uranium glass and other glass pieces.
He uses a UV light to examine the glass, he showed me how certain pieces will have quite an eerie glow under UV.