UV/black lights, do you use them to look at your nitro finished guitars?

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
I got one recently (a UV light that is) to look at my guitars just out of curiosity

Although some people use them to find finish flaws/repairs I have an unhealthy obsession with back of neck wear… I know… I’m sick

So I wanted to see how my guitars were going along and interestingly my less played jimmy page tele has more finish wear on the neck than my workhorse A.O. 60’s

The A.O. Has about 6 months more playing time on it, they must have sprayed the jimmy neck a lot thinner than the 60’s neck

Any of you guys like to make observations with a UV light?

What do you use yours for?

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
Just for black light posters. Occasionally to cure UV epoxy.
I found mine at the auto store, I’m not sure what the intended use is, I assumed it’s for epoxy

Unless anyone else knows another automotive use for a UV light

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
I found mine at the auto store, I’m not sure what the intended use is, I assumed it’s for epoxy

Unless anyone else knows another automotive use for a UV light
It's used to check for leaks in A/C systems. You add UV solution to your charge, then run unit under pressure. The UV will find your leak, no matter how slow or remote it is.

nickmm

Tele-Holic
I sold a guitar that had some repairs on edge chips.
It was well done on a closest classic Nocaster
Buyer questioned the repair.
seemed to think that the edge repair equated to a full spray on that area.

burntfrijoles

Doctor of Teleocity
I've considered using a black light to spot imperfections or wear. Everyone has their kink but that's not one of mine.
I hope guitars stay as clean and damage free as possible but when it happens you just have to say "WTF". As for wear, I look forward to it, particularly on my 57 NOS Strat. A few visible cowboy chord wear patterns would be very cool. The back of the neck already feels and plays well so I'm happy.

Last edited:

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Other than detecting ah hmm “fluids”?

Interesting

Can you elaborate?
"Ultraviolet light is extremely important for plant growth. In safe doses, ultraviolet light helps plants and crops produce essential plant oils which not only enhance the flavour and smell of fruit but also helps the plants protect themselves from excessive ultraviolet exposure; acting as their own natural sunblock."

schoolie

Tele-Afflicted
I check my guitars all the time with a UV light
iu

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
Platinum Supporter
"Ultraviolet light is extremely important for plant growth. In safe doses, ultraviolet light helps plants and crops produce essential plant oils which not only enhance the flavour and smell of fruit but also helps the plants protect themselves from excessive ultraviolet exposure; acting as their own natural sunblock."
Of course..what was I thinking…