Uuuhhh...New Pearl Jam anyone?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by raderiohead, Jan 22, 2020.

1. raderiohead

raderiohead TDPRI Member

New song Is streaming.
    A departure, but BOOM!
    Awesome!
    Guitar very Jonny Greenwoodesque

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Slap Axe, Ron R, Moriarty and 2 others like this.
  2. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

I have been a fan since Ten and have followed them the whole way. Around Self Titled/Avacado Eddie’s voice started to wear on me. I feel awful about that because I know why his voice became what it did. As a singer, I know I couldn’t go out and sing Blood and Go and so on once much less for years. It takes a toll to sing like that. Anyways, when I heard about Gigaton, what I wanted was a record where they ventured into new territory. They cannot be the 90’s PJ again. So why try. When I heard the teasers of this song I was very excited. When I listened to the full song at midnight I was hooked. Eddie is taking his range and vocal ability he has and working within it. The band sounds amazing to me right now. I am a deep catalogue and b-sides PJ fan and I am all in on this track. I haven’t felt this way since I was playing yield on repeat. It gives me that same feeling. My opinion in no way means a thing, but as a fan I am beyond satisfied with this. I can’t wait for the record.

3. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Very unexpected (PJ goes 80s!) and very cool. It’s inspired. I’m looking forward to the new album!

PS: huge PJ fan as well… very excited!

MerleJam likes this.
  4. Grey_Melbourne

Grey_Melbourne TDPRI Member

It reminds me of Talking Heads.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I was just about to type the same thing.
    I think the Talking Heads did the talking heads thing better though.

6. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I liked up to Vitology(?), then not so much after that. Eddie Vedder supported The Who last year, when I saw them live. I wasn't really impressed with the material to be honest, but there was no taking it away, Eddie has a huge stage presence.

MerleJam and havlma1 like this.
  7. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

I consider PJ as one of my favorite bands ever, maybe the no.1, but as Fendereedo mentioned, I also like them most up to Vitalogy era (here I dig every single song on those first albums) and all their b-sides and covers :D Since then it is sometimes I like the album more, sometimes less.

However on stage, I've seen them I think 5 times whenever they come to Europe and they're probably the best performing band ever! Their live gigs are always full of energy, harmonies and Ed's drinking bottles of wine as it is allowed here :)

MerleJam likes this.
  8. jackleg

jackleg Tele-Meister

you're right!!!

Grey_Melbourne and MerleJam like this.
  9. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Hmmm.... it looks like they're doing another Vitalogy (a substantial departure from their previous sound). The problem is, like Vitalogy, the first single while definitely demonstrates the willingness to go in a different direction, it doesn't have a hook or anything memorable about the melody. Remember "Spin The Black Circle"?

It is an interesting and catchy sound, though.

MerleJam likes this.
  10. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

+ 1

Grey_Melbourne and MerleJam like this.
  11. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

I like Ed by himself and very very selected few PJ songs. The guitarists are fine unless they solo and then I dislike them a lot.

Always am surprised that a band with as few instantly recognizable songs with big hooks as them have their own channel on Sirius XM.

We’ve all only got so much brain real estate to devote to similar musics and Tragically Hip already had that spot stakes out so...

MerleJam likes this.
  12. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

Wow. I actually really dig this. Huge Pearl Jam fan, probably one of my favorites of all time. Really excited that they are trying new things that THEY want to do and in my opinion (of this song) succeeding at it. Haven't had the opportunity to see them live, but they are #1 on my list of bands I have to go see.

@raderiohead thank you very much for sharing this. Made my morning.

MerleJam and raderiohead like this.
  13. pondcaster

pondcaster Poster Extraordinaire

No, thanks.

Imagine if they'd started out with this we wouldn't be talking about them now.

Probably still fun to see live?

14. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

I hadn't expected to like it, but I did.
    Very much a departure, but a welcome one. At the same time, Eddie's lyrical voice is as strong as ever. I have always appreciated his skill in putting words together.
    That said, I can hear the 80s influence for sure. Talking Heads has been mentioned but to me this sounds a lot like something Rush might have done during the keyboard era.
    Good song, I think. First time they've really caught my attention since whatever the lead single was for Backspacer. I grew bored with them, but love everything through Binaural.

15. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

I wasn't floored on first listen, but it's intriguing. One of the things I've always liked and respected about Pearl Jam is their willingness to explore, instead of just making 'Ten' over and over again. Not everything totally hits the mark for me, but that's OK.

16. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Great tune. Pearl Jam stopped caring about the radio decades ago. They have their fanbase and that fanbase gives them a chance to be creative and grow. It must be a killer feeling knowing that you can experiment as an artist.

LunarSlingShot likes this.
  17. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

Not hearing much Jonny Greenwood in there. Sounds more like The Killers than Radiohead to me.

18. robmclark

robmclark TDPRI Member Platinum Supporter

I can't believe I missed this release. I'll have to sit down and give it a good listen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.