Using You Tube instead of Sound Cloud

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Mjark, Sep 2, 2018.

1. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Gives you much better data. For instance, the last one I put up, has had 29 views which average to 1:42 on a 4 minute track. The total minutes are 50 out of what would be 116 if all viewers went to the end.

I think I’m going to start trying to limit my stuff to 2 minutes as that’s more than the curious can bear.

Hiker, MrClint, Chunkocaster and 4 others like this.
  2. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've had account on YouTube for a while but I never posted anything.So I gave this a try yesterday and posted my track from TWC 157 . So, I checked out the analytic this evening . First ,I didn't post anywhere but only on YouTube and no surprise that the views were low ,a total of 6 :) but it was fascinating on the info it gave .

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  3. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've come to the realization that no matter what the content is, the average viewing time is going to be about 2:00, assuming it's watchable, of course.

So, it's a curious world we've arrived at where folks won't listen to anything unless there's at least a static picture to stare at on YouTube. I can post a SoundCloud link on (sub)fora that are in theory designed for folks to listen to stuff, and see, literally, about 1 listen for every 100 times the thread is opened. And, as you point out, SC doesn't tell you how long the listen was (but, TBH, I don't care a whole lot about that, personally).

Anyway, this is the main reason I've started to do some video recording at open mics where I had started just doing audio. People want video. (They just don't want too much.)

I, personally, wouldn't trim output to match the ever-decreasing attention span of the audience, however, but make the beginning engaging enough and then keep it interesting - that's what Google is measuring, if that matters to you (and unless you're hoping for that 10000 subscribers to get monetized, it probably shouldn't be). And, face it, it's a rare video that keeps getting watched because there's always something new posted every nano-second.

4. flatout9

flatout9 Tele-Holic

What are you putting up for Video? I like SC but I don't want to pay for the upgrade to get the extra stats. At least at this point....

5. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic

Without casting aspersions on any genres, Soundcloud to me seems like it skews almost entirely toward independent/underground electronic music (pick your subgenre); I use it a lot, and don't even bother searching outside of a handfull of specific types of acts. My guess is you're probably just getting a lot of people who were expecting something else?

6. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've never posted anything on YT... Is there any difference in format constraints between the two platforms (I'm talking about how much compression you have to apply to uploading files)?

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Include some subliminal boob pics spliced in to extend the view time.
    Or just trick them with the promise of boobs. :)
    I'm going to try this myself but the downvotes will probably increase more than the view time.

flatout9 likes this.
  8. MrClint

MrClint Tele-Meister

Good to know about the two minute sweet spot. Thanks for sharing. For my own sake, I'm going to record something that's at least 100 bars in my DAW. That seems to be enough time to be expressive and experiment a little. God bless anyone that is kind enough to sit through any part of it! I'm grateful for 30 second curiosity listens. Likes, follows and actual comments are far more helpful and telling than listening engagement. Shame on me if I ever allow stats to drive what or how long I play. But then I'm not good enough to have an ego when it comes to my playing.

9. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

YouTube is easy for anyone to access .

Hiker likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I'm using photos and Photoshopped placards in mine and add the MP3 as background music. I'm too self-conscious to put up video of me playing or to do any talking. It helps that I have a huge collection of licensed photos I bought for web development a few years ago. I'm currently using Windows 10 Photos app to create videos but I'll probably upgrade to something with more features and better UI.

11. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

This. I'm involved with a podcast project, and my recommendations were to use Soundcloud and Youtube, for this reason. Streaming audio services are blocked in lots of company networks. But youtube isn't. Weird, but it is what it is.

tintag27 and tery like this.
  12. Whatizitman

Windows Movie Maker (or whatever it's called now) is easy enough for this, too.

13. Whatizitman

Both apply their own compression now when you upload. Best to start with a full AVI file for Youtube, and let google do its own magic. Soundcloud compresses everything to mp3. Start with a WAV (if on windows).

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Photos is its replacement in Windows 10.

Whatizitman likes this.
  15. tintag27

tintag27 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Thanks for the info!

16. knh555

knh555 Tele-Meister

Personally, I find the video file generation to be a step too far.

soundchaser59 likes this.
  17. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

Especially since I can't use flash any more. Flash (and Swish) was too easy, and my new Linux box doesn't play well with flash.

18. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

Yep, you need to feed the curiosity on YouTube.

I posted a video demo of a common stock Epiphone Special II and got 1,800+ views...

Posted an original composition, just got 60 views!:lol:

In this connection, I would appreciate it if you guys could view my other videos and subscribe. I would like to monetize it someday so I could buy my first US Tele!

19. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Here's another point.

We have guitar challenges on ST forums. So, I went back to study/ practice old challenge threads to improve as a musian including Sound Cloud posts from others. Gone!

Why? They had to free up Sound Cloud memory for future posts. Old threads with dead clips (or dead photos) are not a good thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.