1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Using Timbermate as grain filler, any tips?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by etype, Sep 3, 2019.

1. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Just got me some Timbermate grain filler for an ash body. I have thinned some out and spread it on a sample piece, and it worked and looks great. But I later intend on adding a dye or stain to the wood. Any tips? They claim it takes stain, does that mean it will take the color just as a similarly colored wood would? Does it take dye similarly?

Any suggestions or warnings from those who've used it before would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

It will darken with stain.
    Keep testing on the scraps.

sand lightly after timbermate and then stain. sand light to knock down grain that raises and then put clear. see if it looks like you want.

3. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Yes, it takes dye/stain but it doesn't absorb the same way as wood. Meaning it will appear darker than the wood when it's stained. The color of the filler will transfer to the unless you seal the wood with sanding sealer first so you need to consider that as well.

4. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Do you mean "The color of the filler will transfer to the [surrounding wood] unless you seal the wood with sanding sealer first so you need to consider that as well."?
    Thanks.

Flakey likes this.
  5. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Oops. So if I intend to use dye stain, won't the sanding sealer hinder the dye absorption? And yes, I know Silverface advocates sanding sealer as a first step for EVERYTHING, but none of the videos I ahve watched say to seal before dye. This is the first I heard that the color of the Timbermate will bleed. $&*#!

6. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Well you need to make a slurry with the Timbermate to apply it and that's when the wood would absorb the color for the Timbermate. Silverface recommends sealer first to lessen the chances of color blotching occurring.

What I think you're going for is dye/stain the wood, apply sanding sealer to protect the color integrity of your preferred color, then apply your Timbermate dyed to the color of your choice to the pores (a couple of times until smooth), scrape and then sand clean the surface (ensuring that you don't sand through the sealer coat). Next, wipe the dust off and apply another coat of sanding sealer then sand smooth to 320 and finally apply your clear coat.

etype and Mr. Neutron like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.