using semi-gloss and high gloss nitro together?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Psinatra, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Psinatra

Psinatra Tele-Meister

Hi Gang.

I just did a couple cans of high gloss nitro on my tele. As I was sanding the orange peel off I started to notice that I should get a thicker base before I go much further.

Because of stock, one of my new cans is a semi-gloss.

Will that matter when I do my final sand and buff?

2. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

It might be fine, and it might be a horrible mess. In theory, if your current coat is of totally uniform thickness and is perfectly flat, a lower gloss would simply blend in or evenly cover it... if it's also totally uniform and perfectly flat. Some people will argue that anything can be buffed to a high gloss, but I'm not so sure that's true.

But someone who could make that work wouldn't be asking questions about it. I say don't even consider it. Forget trying it on a piece of scrap; that could look fine, but good luck with the aforementioned perfectly even coats over the whole surface of a complex object like a guitar.

High gloss over semi-gloss, on the other hand, would almost certainly be fine. The wood itself, the grain fillers, sealers, and primers in general use, all of which are under a typical high-gloss finish? They're mostly pretty flat.

Are you sure you need more clear? Why? Two cans on a body is normally more than enough.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Boreas likes this.
  3. Boreas

Boreas Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Why risk it? While I think it would be fine, a gloss/semi/gloss clear coat involves two different interfaces of supposedly compatible material. I would direct the question to the manufacturer - or just complete the job with gloss only.

4. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

“Semi-gloss” has talc added.

If you plan to buff, stick to gloss lacquer after sealing.

pedro58, Boreas and Psinatra like this.
  5. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

Semi-gloss does have a flattening agent but it won't hurt anything as far as compatibility. I when doing a semi or satin it is quite common to spray gloss and only apply flattened to the last coat.

Semi will also buff just fine and have a good shine. It just may not have quite the clarity as the gloss clear would.

Eric

Psinatra likes this.
  6. stratisfied

stratisfied Tele-Afflicted

Completely compatible for mid or build coats if followed by gloss coats. I've done it myself. Just make sure you have a sufficient number of gloss coats on top that you don't sand through.

Matte and Satin lacquer will buff, but they will not attain the same shine as Gloss. If you sand through the gloss topcoats and buff, you will get areas that just don't want to "gloss up" when buffed. It usually occurs a along edges where the finish is pulled thinner as it dries.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.