Using Pod Go Amps and cabs into front of a valve amp

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Craig Williams, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Tele-Meister

I know this probably isn't a normal thing to do. I have Super Reverb so no effects loop etc. Now I know you can use the Pod Go straight into a PA using Effects / Amp / Cab sims.....but is there any reason you can't so it with my amp set very neutrally?

Normally love the sound of my amp and only want to color it with simple effects but would be cool to be able to simulate Roland Jazz Chorus for a few things. Not interested in driving the amp, just using it as amplification of the tone of the Pod. Is it ok to use amp and cab sims or amp only? How would I go about it? Anyone done something similar?

2. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Modelling absolutely works in this way despite not being the proper intention.

You end up with a mix of the modelled amp and speaker, AND your real amp and speaker. You just need to work it till it sounds good to you.

You could use the modelled amp without the modelled speaker (most modellers can do this) because you are already getting a speaker affected sound from your own real amp. Having a modelled speaker and a real speaker often doesn't work well but as is always the case, might just suit you perfectly...

Strictly speaking for using the modelled amp, you're supposed to use the amp from the modeller (without speaker cabinet modelling) into the effects return of your real amp, not the main in at the front of your amp.

This bypasses your own amp's preamp (the source of colour in your own amp), leaving your modelled amp signal to be amplified through your own real amps power amp (which is usually/supposedly a fairly neutral amp).

And using your own amps real speaker.

From there it gets way more complicated and your kind of buggered if your current amp doesn't have an effects loop. Leading to straight power amps, power amps with neutral speakers so you CAN use the modeller's speaker and a whole deep dive into that quagmire :)

TwoBear likes this.
  3. eddiewagner

eddiewagner Poster Extraordinaire

I would rather not do it. I plug a modeler into the Return of an acoustic amp with good results.

TwoBear likes this.
  4. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

When plugging into the front end of a full amp with it's own speakers ....
    • Amp models will work very similar to "amp in the box" pedals. You won't turn your Super into the amp model you choose, but it will add some of that flavor.
    • The cab models will be unpredictable. You might experiment and come up with some great tones, but in general you would want to turn off the cab simulation on the POD.
    You won't hurt anything... so experiment as much as you want.

TwoBear and Blrfl like this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've found this setup not to produce good results but I'm working with smaller tube amps (Princeton and Champ). It might work better with a bigger amp with a lot of clean headroom.

I've gotten the best results with modelers going direct into a PA or in the effects loop of my Peavey Bandit on the clean channel.

6. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Not as good as footpedals IMO. Have tried to do that with various amps, works but degrades the tone.

7. Craig Williams

I really am not convinced a modeler through a PA or otherwise could give you the same feel as a real amp, particularly a 2 x 4 x cabinet. Maybe for Light pop, ambient stuff. Not disputing it as I haven't tried but just respectfully find it hard to believe. I have a Mustang 3 amp and when I first got it couldn't believe how real the Fender Twin etc sounded, blew me away. But after a while got tired of it. Sounded like the real thing but didn't feel like it. If they are really that good we should all sell our expensive, heavy old valve amps because they will soon to be worthless

8. Craig Williams

I probably would agree with you. A lot of the fancier effects for sure really negatively color your sound. Too many controls. Like I don't want a delay, Chorus or compressor to change my output tone. I want them to do their job. I find when I put some of them in a row I am rolling back the tone on this one, and lifting the treble on another one. All gets a bit too hard. Thinking of using very basic 3 knob effects the next time I create a new effects patch

TwoBear likes this.
  9. Craig Williams

I was playing around with Amp / pre amp models today (no cab) and found many of them gave a smoother realistic overdrive tone than most of the OD / Distortion effects. A lot smoother. Too much dirt and harmonics on many of the pedals. Ok if thats your thing I guess. I guess its a no brainer an overdriven amp model should sound better. I guess thats all an OD pedal is trying to emulate, most badly

10. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

We are sort of in the same boat. My main amps have been super reverb’s all my life but just too heavy now. I sold off all my big stuff, and my only tube and now is a bantam bass-basically the same footprint as a super reverb, With tube rectifier and 2 6L6’s, and a 30 W output transformer. It comes with a weird trapezoid speaker that I changed out for a 12 and 10. I’m thinking of trying it with the full range Yamaha trapezoid and seeing how it works with my Pod Go. Which channel are you running into on your super? Have you tried the middle all the way up with the bass and treble down? I’m pretty sure that supposed to give a somewhat neutral response .
    I’ve got mine on the bench to do recapping and as there is so much space in there because they dropped out the tremolo and reverb, I think a passive effect loop is definitely going to happen. How is yours sounding straight out of the amp feed of the pod go? Are you thinking to use the cab sim To try to emulate the sound of the cheap 2x12” speakers in the jazz chorus? They’re sort of cheesy but they definitely work in the amp. I don’t know how close it can sound in mono, being that the sound of the jazz chorus swirls back-and-forth between the two speakers. Is there a smaller one speaker jazz chorus?

11. Craig Williams

I was using amp out and global settings. Some amp / pre amp models into the amp I found were great, Roland JC etc give my Super Reverb a whole different thing and some of the amp pre amps better than the overdrive pedals but I have since given the podgo away and gone back to the Nux MG-300. Whole different thing I know but I just want basic effects and I find the NUX comp and EQ just work better without a lot of knob twiddling. I also find individual effects (Chorus / Flanger / Delay) etc seem to tonally color the sound too much and it all ends up an electronic mess. I want a delay to delay the signal, not add a whole lot of bright / flat / mud etc. Each to their own. I have a friend at the moment going down this route and ended up with a FRFR PA set up and yeah its flat and you get the true sound of the Podgo, but its not like a nice guitar, with nice pick ups going into a nice amp. Its kinda like putting all your focus on the effects unit rather than Guitar / amp. Might be good for recording or through headphones in stereo etc but not for me. Reminds me when I was a young bloke and we all bought cheap nasty old cars, and then spent a fortune on them trying to make them decent lol. I know these are supposed to give you many different options all in the one box rather than be stuck with a singular sounding amp but nah..Don't see a session guy turning up to a recording session or gig selecting his amp for the day from a PodGo, or HX stomp whatever.

As for the JC, the amp model actually did sound very much like a JC but like you said it wont be stereo. However I picked up a JC60 in mint condition for practice amp money and man its lush. It will never be a Super Reverb but man it is the best solid state amp I ever heard. Has that valve smoothness with an excellent EQ, so can really get the clarity of a SS smoothed out like a valve amp, and LOUD for a 60w. And surprisingly the chorus sounds amazing. I am guessing a JC120 dual speaker would sound even better, like a twin sounds better than a Deluxe in the fill the room way, but man it is a nice little amp. Keeper for sure

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    TwoBear likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.