1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Using pedal as a pre amp princeton 112?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Lou Kash, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Lou Kash

Lou Kash TDPRI Member

I picked up a princeton 112 plus pretty cheap at a thrift shop today. Honestly, it's not completely terrible and its light which is nice. However, I kind of want to have some fun with this amp. I noticed that it had a power amp input on the front. Could I buy a pre amp pedal, like the doctor Roberts, throw in a celestion blue, and use that set up to get a competent vox UL730? Or maybe build a HH preamp, throw in a greenback, and get some marc bolan tones? Can I use the amp like this and what are your thoughts?

2. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

Joyo American sound, and you're all set. Don't know about getting into Vox territory....maybe the Joyo British sound?
    Stick them in the FX loop and tear it up.
    The Joyo pedals are insanely cheap, a lot of fun, full of different tones, but can get a little noisy when you crank the drive up.

Played with a guy that had one of these years ago, good reliable little amp. I always kind of liked it. Fender put a funky volume pot in a lot of amps back then, so at a level of 5 or so, you're like at 75% volume. They get real loud real quick.
    Not sure about a speaker change.

3. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

I had a Princeton chorus for awhile, those fender solid states had great clean tones. I tried out a few Joyo character pedals in front and they sounded great. I’d not even bother with a speaker swap unless I already had one laying around.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.