Using foreign power supplies in the USA

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by rbspeedwagon, Apr 22, 2015.

1. rbspeedwagon

rbspeedwagon Tele-Meister

G'day folks,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, wasn't sure where's the right place for it. Feel free to move it, mods.

I just have a quick question: I've moved to the US from Australia and my gear's run off a OneSpot. It's rated 110-240, so I figure there's no problem there. I tested it here with a plug adapter for a few minutes and it worked fine... but am I setting myself up for heartbreak if I continue to rely on it? Is there a difference between Aussie and US OneSpot adapters other than the shape of the pins? I run 8 pedals off it; Strymon, Tim, an old Ross compressor... stuff that I really don't want fried. Hopefully there's no issue.

Cheers all!

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't know but I would just buy a new OneSpot. It's cheap for the peace of mind.

3. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

It's variable voltage so the power itself will be fine, but unless it's already got US prongs it'd be a pita to always have to use an adapter to plug it in. As Wa said, just get a new one here. They're cheap.

4. rbspeedwagon

Cheers for the quick replies, guys! I appreciate it.

We're here on a single academic budget, so not spending money is a pretty high priority. If the power itself isn't an issue, I can handle the nuisance of the adapter.

Part of it is also that I'd rather save up and get a Cioks10... which leads me to wonder why I'd spend $200 when a $20 piece of kit does the same job.

5. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

It is up to powering you from 240V. From 110V, what is the worst that can happen? You only get half the voltage you want? That won't fry anything. Some things might not work, though.

6. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

When you see an adapter with 120-240 voltage rating, they almost invariably rectify that voltage to the DC that the item really uses. The biggest thing to think about is the frequency of your power vs. ours. Our AC power is 120 VAC 60 Hz. Europe uses 50-hz power, I think. Some items are more frequency-dependent than others, so you gotta be careful what you use here.

I don't think you'll have any trouble with the setup you have now--just check the pins on it for heat every once in a while. If they get hot, maybe you need to investigate why.

7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

Same adapter, just different plug pins.

8. rbspeedwagon

Thanks very much, all! I really appreciate it.

9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

when you look at an adapter and it says 100-240 VAC / 50-60 Hz that means it will work under all those conditions, and provide the listed output under all those conditions.

10. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

It's what is called a "switchmode" power supply. Google it for the nitty gritty on how it works. Absolutely no problem using it here. In fact, the only time you generally have to worry is if something has a heavy iron core transformer (like a guitar amp). Even then, the power supplies in lots of Aussie stuff is export so can sometimes be converted to 120V pretty easily. If you have any gear or other items you aren't sure about, feel free to DM me. I too just moved from Sydney to LA, but being an electronics tech by trade, wasn't too concerned about this :D

11. rbspeedwagon

Far out, I love this forum. You guys are awesome. Thanks for setting me straight! I used my gear tonight and had no issues.

Well... My Tri-AC was pretty noisy, but I think that's an isolation thing. That Cioks DC10 is looking better and better...

Thanks again, all!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.