Using delay pedals to get reverb

naveed211

Friend of Leo's
Yup, you can get by with it for sure. For what I do, I always need a big washy reverb available to me that you can’t achieve with a delay pedal mimicking a reverb.

But as a change of pace in a pinch, yeah, a delay pedal can get you something cool sounding.

FWIW, in a live setting, delays will almost always be more usable. Even though I love big reverbs, you don’t need them as much depending on the venue. But you can always add some spice with delay and still cut.

jddub440

Tele-Holic
I've done that and really enjoyed the results in a pinch but ultimately rather have my reverb running reverb sounds and delay doing delay....but if you never tried it I agree you should give it a whirl!!!

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
There are times I prefer slight delay instead of reverb, depending on the amp and the environment (gig).

I really like the sound I get from my DM-2w with the rate and intensity both at one o’clock and the echo knob at noon. Tiled bathroom reverb :lol:

In the dark ages, early-mid 1990s, I used this great pedal, and a great SF Twin to get the best country/rockabilly sound ever.
The DM2 is wonderfully reverb-ey.
That rig, and a great sounding LP Custom was my Canadian Legion rig.

AngelStrummer

Friend of Leo's
My thing in this respect has been a Boss DD-3 with the following settings:

Mode: 400 - 800 ms
E.Level: a touch over 9 o'clock
F.Back: a touch over 9 o'clock
D.Time: a touch over 9 o'clock

I leave the reverb on my amps off. And that's the way uh huh uh huh I like it.

Platefire

Friend of Leo's
Yes I can happily get by with a delay alone and my favorite pedal for accomplishing this is my ol 80's DOD FX-90 Anolog Delay(my very first delay pedal). However these days I prefer to have a very lite reverb in the background for whatever delay I use set for a slap back to give the signal a little short bounce. If the reverb is in the amp, I use that or if not, normally use a RV-3 set to a lite Plate setting. I got a host of delay pedals but the DOD is my favorite for delay alone that does give a slight reverb effect also. Platefire

BTW-I can't hack a completely dry sound. I know some do, but I don't know how:cry:

Last edited:

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
Nice. I stumbled on this trick 30 years ago when I had an Ibanez digital delay and wanted that 50s slap back echo sound. These days I use a reverb pedal, but I remember quite liking the sound. Perhaps it’s time to invest in a delay pedal again!

Nogoodnamesleft

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I have a preset on my Strymon Volante that I use for ambience in much the same way. I like it because the initial attack is unaffected, kinda like a reverb with pre-delay. Maintains note/chord clarity.
I don’t have that pedal, but I’ve found the same thing. Using delay like this creates space without the distance if that makes sense.