Using an “Amp in a Box” into the amp it emulates?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Lamar Chipperson, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Lamar Chipperson

Lamar Chipperson TDPRI Member

Is anybody running a rig like this? Setting the amp clean and using the pedal as a de facto second channel? I know nothing will sound quite like the amp being pushed, but can you get into the ballpark a little closer than a non amp style drive pedal?

2. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

A potential hurdle here is running a preamp into a preamp - it generally doesn't end well. That doesn't mean it can't work (see Boss' Legend series, Tech 21 and Joyo pedals), but it does mean that it's not an optimal setup and should be approached differently.

I don't currently do it, and haven't done it in the past, though I do have friends and former bandmates that have had boards with the pedals I mentioned above. If I recall correctly, their amps were generally tube amps, set surgically clean, and EQ'd kind of dull. They'd use one pedal always on as their "clean" tone, and add or subtract pedals as needed.

Lamar Chipperson likes this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I have a Ruby amp and Dual Ruby that I built and run them through a old 20watt Radio Shack PA out to a 15" speaker. Sounds big and shimmering clean, but the dual Ruby gets very nasty. It needs a filter in the output circuit.

BB and Lamar Chipperson like this.
  4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I typically have my Marshall set for right on the edge of breakup, and use a couple of MIAB pedals to push things from there. Works extremely well for me.

5. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I run the Joyo American Sound pedal in to a Fender Pro Junior and makes it very fendery.....pretty nice sound.

Vespa_One and Lamar Chipperson like this.
  6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I recently tried the Joyo into a Tweed Bassman and it didn't sound good to me.
    Sounds great right into the PA.

7. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have an Orange amp, at one point I tried the Getaway Driver which is an Orange amp-in-a-box. I tried it cause I was trying to find a drive pedal that didn't sound wildly different.

In general it did sound like an Orange I guess. I never tried it in the FX loop which I suppose I should have tried?

I will say the Getaway driver sounded WAY better going into a Fender amp. It did something totally different. I think most of the whole concept of amp-in-a-box is silly.

In general it always came back to "The tubes in the amp sound better than the pedal."

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I ran a Joyo AC Tone into an AC15C1 and it sounded awesome.

Lawdawg, The-Kid and Lamar Chipperson like this.
  9. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Personally, "series clipping redundancy" has never worked out for me.

10. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

I was just thinking about running my PedalPal 959 Plexi Emulator pedal into the front of the Rocktron ValveSonic Plexi rack preamp and then running that into the front of my Plexi head and setting all of them to 10.

(Plexi³)^10

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  11. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Yes, I've used a Wampler Black '65 into blackface amps for years with good results.

drewcp likes this.
  12. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Fulltone 3 with my ‘79 JMP with no fx loop, etc.

I set the amp input gain to the very edge of breakup/compression. I get clean and a great compressed clean direct and using the guitar volume control, nice bright crunch with the FD’s boost, a thicker crunch with the mild Overdrive of the FD and fluid leads with boost and od engaged on the FD. Its still JMP through and through as comp cut mode on the FD does not really change the dirt’s character.

It’s essentially a three channel amp and the volume changes for leads are well balanced.

The OCD MIAB is just too bright and fizzy with the naturally bright JMP.

drewcp likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I use many amp in a box pedals into my Fender 6L6 clean channel. All four of them are basically Fendery circuits and pretty well nail there emulations.

Tweed -Catalinbread Formula No.5
    Bassman - Catalinbread 5F6
    Mesa Mark II - Tech 21 "California"
    Marshall JTM 45 - Lovepedal JTM

teletimetx and The-Kid like this.
  14. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I'm using the Joyo American Sound into my Vox Pathfinder for a very light crunch, no problem, actually i bought it to use it straight into p.a. but i want to try if the Zoom Ms 50g works as good as the Joyo so for now i'm using it as an overdrive in input....

15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I do run a Boss GT100 occasionally into a tube amp with the amp and cab sims on rather than off. So its doubled up.

If the host amp is super clean, you get a little of the character of the emulated amp and cab.

Into an on the edge preamp, it just like a different flavour of overdrive or EQ.

Just try it.. adjust a few things, try again. It is just more sounds.

16. The-Kid

The-Kid Tele-Meister

Vox just came out with these....

Remember how the panels on the amps look. Also with NUtube........

Marshall, Mesa, Vox, Fender tonestacks in order from left to right. Plus the Nutube and the screen is an oscilloscope apparently.

[​IMG]

Chiogtr4x, drewcp and dswo like this.
  17. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

If it's like the MV50 amps, it's not really an oscilloscope - it's more like the old fluorescent signal level displays that were common with 80's hi-fi gear. IMO, it's a bit gimmicky (as is the VU meter on the MV50), but there's no disputing that the preamps in the MV50 amps do sound pretty good.

18. dombar335

dombar335 Tele-Meister

I once played a Joyo AC Tone into the "Vox" setting on a Fender Super Champ. It sounded pretty good!

Now that I just remembered this, I never actually tried it into my AC10. I might have to give this a try now.

Lawdawg likes this.
  19. Carcinogen

Carcinogen TDPRI Member

It creates a temporal vortex and begins to rend the fabric of reality, right?

20. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Somewhat similar to my esteemed colleague, @Obsessed , I am using amp in a box pedals to produce a variety of OD sounds. Just recently, I realized that one logical assessment would find little difference between this approach and amp modeling, even though my signal modification chain ends up in a old school Fender tube amp.

to paraphrase Tina, what's logic got to do with it? (jk...)

I'm just experimenting with sounds that make me happy while I'm playing. I don't really care what other people think of my equipment choices, although they are certainly welcome to their own opinions.

At the moment, I'm running a Lovepedal Deluxe (the 4-knob "Brown" Deluxe) into a Catalinbread 5F6, which goes into a Pigtronix Disnortion. I have a well-tempered Boss TR-2 at the end. this extravagant set then runs into either a '70 SF Princeton no-verb or a '66 Tremolux head, homebuilt 2X10 cab.

The Deluxe is almost always on. I add the "5F6" or the Disnortion or both (and/or drop out the Deluxe) depending on how clean or hairy I want things to get. I don't care if it doesn't "sound like" an actual Tweed Bassman or a Brown Deluxe or whatever - I just like what I hear. And yeah, for you purists, I also like the clean, pure sound of either of those amps alone, and I use that as well. I get really tired of some of the holier-than-thou purists who look down their noses more than they actually play...

I play in a house band with a widely ranging set list, and I like to amuse myself with a wide variety of sounds. It works for me. I'm not on the holy grail search of "my ultimate tone". My 2 cents, of course.

Bristlehound and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.