Using a neti pot

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, Sep 13, 2019.

1. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

My grandmother had one: she referred to the process as "irrigating your sinuses". She had a hook on the side of the cupboard next to the kitchen sink that she'd hang it on, presumably for max force. Fill it up with warm salt water, stand over the sink, stick the nozzle in your nostril (remember to keep your mouth open) and let 'er rip. Hated it...didn't seem to help for more than a few minutes...

2. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

What on earth is a neti pot?
    And would you recommend 250k or 500k for a 70's Tele?

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I say there Uriah1, I don't believe I'da told that if I was youse. :eek:.........:D

4. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i have one...and use it when needed...works well

5. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, those are the way to go. Simply amazing if you're prone to sinus infections. I was a skeptic but something clicked when a doctor who advised it reminded me how good washing is for other health issues.

teleman1 likes this.
  6. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

I'm in the deviated septum crowd, usually one nostril is clogged so the neti pot doesn't work.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have a deviated septum, too. I have been using Arm & Hammer Saline Spray. I prefer the "nighttime" version, which has a whiff of eucalyptus.

What's this special nozzle you speak of?

TeleTex82 likes this.
  8. TeleTex82

TeleTex82 Friend of Leo's

It's the Neilmed like this one. It has a large volume nozzle that cleans me out something fierce.

5140nGdFwmL._SY450_.jpg

moosie likes this.
  9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Looks very similar to what I use. I'll give the Neilmed a try next time I order.

Screen Shot 2019-09-13 at 11.44.06 PM.png

10. Treehouse

Treehouse TDPRI Member

I’m living/coping with a dislocated/separated shoulder and jersey finger on my fretting hand. But... I am so happy I committed to septoplasty.

The ability to breathe is quite a value in terms of quality of life.

11. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ve used the same and yes, it does do the cleaning out thing. I researched the Neti pot thing and it was just too much hassle for me. I use distilled water, the little prepackaged packets and put the thing in the microwave empty for 30 seconds after cleaning it out. I figure that’s good enough for me.

But I haven’t used it in a few years. After a bad couple seasons of allergy stuff I relented and restarted the allergy shots I’d quit maybe ten years earlier. By bad season I mean repeated sinus infections/bronchitis and stuff they’d shoot cortisone into me to try to get me back halfway normal. It was awful. I stuck with the shots on an at least twice monthly schedule and during spring and fall weekly, and after a couple or three years my symptoms finally settled down. Now I do a quick morning rinse of saline followed by a prescribed nose spray plus a pill and get by pretty well. It’s so much better than before that I have to remind myself to keep the shots up.

My only allergies are the seasonal hay fever type stuff but they can be brutal and temporarily incapacitating. Sneezing for ten minutes straight with crap shooting outta your eyeballs followed by asthma and weird fatigue is quite unwelcome when working outdoors, and that’s where my stuff flares up. Most of my friends don’t have this crap and I marvel at that because I can’t imagine life without this annoyance. They don’t know how lucky they are, but there are far, far worse afflictions to carry around.

12. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Neil-med don't forget to get the water warm, NOT HOT. Unless your looking for an immediate headache, avoid cool or cold.

13. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Afflicted

Mrs Baby has one and swears by it. Looks weird to me, when she brought it home and demonstrated what looks quite a like pouring a cup of tea up your nose I thought it was an elaborate joke.

14. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

15. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

eclipse likes this.
  16. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

Times two on the NeilMed Sinus rinse. I was first diagnosed with sinus allergy problems back in the 70's. Tried a lot of different things and nothing worked very well. One doc I went to prescribed me Claritin, it was a prescription drug back then. That was almost a miracle. I was good until about October of last year. Then the sinus issues returned. New ENT doc allergy tested me and it seems I'm allergic to the dogs now, especially the new pup we've had for a bit over a year. She's long-haired and I'm guessing that's the issue. We've had dogs for the last 17 years but they have been short-hair dogs, and his flare up didn't start until after we got her. The NeilMed helps a bunch but still not out of the woods, I 'm getting a lot of sinus drainage in my throat and it plays hell with my vocal chords, I get real hoarse easily, and I do the majority of lead vocals in the two bands I work with.If you' never had sinus issues or allergies consider yourself blessed, if you have them,it can make your days and nights a living hell at times.

rcole_sooner likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.