Using a looper live

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Baseball 100, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Baseball 100

Baseball 100 TDPRI Member

My cover band is doing Why Can’t I Be You?” by the Cure for a show in a few weeks. The guitar part plays the same simple riff throughout pretty much the entire song. Was thinking of looping it at the beginning and then playing over the keyboard part since it’s such a big sound (we have a keyboardist, no brass).

Concerned about timing. Drummer is good but we don’t use click tracks. Anyone use a looper live in this setup?

Thanks for any guidance.

2. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

Without a clock it'll be tough with a live drummer. Could you loop in the basic drum beat as well and maybe dump it out to the PA on one side of a stereo looper?

3. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Look at the TC Jam X2 - it will do exactly what you want it to if you mic the snare drum and feed it back into the pedal - means it will follow the drummer (as perhaps we all should) - an interesting device - even corrects your timing when you hit the footswitch late

41144 likes this.
  4. popthree

Would it alter the pitch of any musical phrase also being looped?

5. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Do you own or have you ever operated a looper pedal? If not, I’d be concerned that “a few weeks” may not be ample time for you to learn the looper (not basic operation, but the performance aspects) and for the band to practice playing in time with it.

41144 and Obsessed like this.
  6. knockeduptele

no it doesn't - its a very slick pedal but not cheap - there are a bunch of you tube demos on it - I use one to do exactly what baseball 100 is talking about doing - bit nerve wracking as all loopers are in a live environment (screw it up and it really bites you as it keeps coming round on you!) but it works - dying for them to bring out the stereo version

ce24 likes this.
  7. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

A looper, you know - a caddy, a looper, a jock.

8. popthree

I hope it's a better product than the x4...i owned one of those...it was a great idea with poor execution

9. knockeduptele

much much better than the x4 agree with you on that one - I now have one sitting around wondering what to do with it

10. TokyoPortrait

TokyoPortrait Tele-Afflicted

Hi.

Interesting. I have the Stereo Ditto now. I've been think of getting the x4, to use in a duo thing with a drummer, so I could make up switchable parts. But, now I wonder if the Jam would be better, as I'd could just carry on the way I am now, but with a better mesh with the drummer. That's another area we struggle with.

Thanks. I knew these existed but hadn't really taken notice till now.

Pax/
    Dean

11. popthree

Its really a shame. On paper it seems to be a boomerang killer but in reality, nope

12. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I looked this up and only 2 minutes of looping time? Did I miss something?... I have a Jamman with an SD card and I have hours of looping. However the Jamman may not work for the OP. i use my Jamman live but I preload backing wav files from band in a box that I created.

13. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

i think a backing track would be easier to manage but having a live drummer makes that tricky.

also, playing to a track or a looper takes getting used to and i think you may not be leaving yourself time to make it happen right.

Obsessed likes this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

+2 on needing more time and practice before using a looper live. It really should not be looked at as a pedal, but more like sophisticated recording device that needs lots of practice to be proficient enough to gig with.

That said, you will probably need a click track on the initial loop for the drummer to follow. I know, sounds strange and now you need to have one of those strange drummers to practice to a click track.:eek:

Fretting out likes this.
  15. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

It means two minutes max for an individual loop, until it starts repeating, so that would be a pretty long song part.

Pax/
    Dean

16. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

just to reiterate - i'm in a band that uses a drum machine/backing track and it was a BIG change from being in a normal band or just jamming with people. humans react to each other, and the tempo of a whole group will shift. your loop won't. it doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is.

Gaz_, Baseball 100 and ce24 like this.
  17. ce24

I get that....so this unit would not store even a single set worth of loops. That said im not sure that is what the op needs. I can save 4 whole sets on my Jamman and have lots of room left over. But im iust using 3- 4 minute drum wav. Files for backing a duo/ trio.

18. Baseball 100

Baseball 100 TDPRI Member

Thanks for the responses. I’m not doing it. I love the idea of feeding the snare drum into it, but I don’t have that pedal and I don’t want to be messing with something new. We rehearse on Wed night. If it sounds lousy with just keys, we’ll pick a different song. The problem with a big sound like that is, if it sounds thin, you look pathetic no matter how well you play it. Anyone who’s ever covered Livin’ On a Prayer knows what I’m talking about.

19. TokyoPortrait

Hi.

Okay, sorry. I’m assuming the Jam model is basically the same as my Ditto Stereo. So, two memories. One is the Looper Memory, limited to however many minutes depending on model (mine is five), and the other is basically a flash drive. This is called the Backing Track Memory. You can transfer the current loop in the looper memory to this for download to computer, or you can upload backing tracks to this for playback. Can’t remember the size, but you can put multiple files on it.

But, and it’s a big but, you can’t select which file in the Backing Track memory to play. It automatically plays the last one loaded, and the only way to play another is to delete the current one, whereupon the previously loaded one will play. I tried this once and could not get it to work. Forget the details now, but nothing worked out.

Probably operator error. But still, the Dittos aren’t really any good for this kind of live backing track thing.

Also, I have no idea what happens when you loop over a backing track (I presume you can) and how the conflict between the differences in length work out. Never tried that.

Basically, Dittos seem best for practice, working out ideas, etc. with just straight looping, and maybe live looping just parts to solo over, etc., and not really for live use as a vehicle for backing track delivery.

Pax/
    Dean

ce24 likes this.
  20. ce24

Its all good. The jamman is cool in that i can scroll to any loop i want in seconds. It also has internal memory and an SD card slot so you have access to either immediately. You can also over dub onto any loop but it will not save it (unless you want to)..when you goto another loop the overdub is lost so you dont ruin the initial loop. Its a good live pedal in a lot of respects. With the sd card and internal memory you have 400 loop spots available.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.