Using a loop pedal for solo acoustic gigs

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Del Pickup, Jan 3, 2015.

1. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I've got an Akai Headrush 2 pedal and a small Behringer 8 channel PA mixer and have been thinking of trying to incorporate the looper into some songs in a solo acoustic set.

The mixer has two outputs to go to the PA mains.

As I know that this was the pedal that KT Tunstall used for her performances of 'Black Horse & the Cherry Tree' and have seen a YouTube clip of her showing how she sets up the loops for that I've just watched this again. She mentions that her guitar and mic go into a similar mixer which she has set up at her feet and then one output from the mixer goes to the input of the loop pedal. This allows her to create loops with her guitar as well as her mic.

All good and straightforward so far.

However, she doesn't then explain where the signal goes from the loop pedal output - there's only 1 output on the Akai pedal which is 1/4in jack. So I'm left wondering whether the signal then goes back to the mixer (say into input 3 to then go to the main PA speakers. Would that work or would I have to have another mixer to run the PA speakers?

Any ideas?

2. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

3. Del Pickup

Thanks for that. As you say, the article doesn't actually explain how to connect everything up but I think I've actually sussed it out myself in the last hour or so since posting the question.

What seems to work is as follows -

Vocal mic into mixer input 1
    Guitar cable into mixer input 2
    Line out from headphone socket on mixer to input of loop pedal
    Line out from loop pedal into mixer input 3

And obviously left and right cables out from mixer output sockets to main speakers.

Hope that helps for anyone else trying to figure it out.

4. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

a buddy of mine is a musician in Maui- he uses one all the time.

5. Murky

Murky Tele-Meister

I saw Jason Wilbur, John Prine's guitarist, in a solo acoustic house concert where he made some good use of a looper. He made it look easy, but I suspect it took a bit of practice.

6. Del Pickup

I guess the secret is practice. As I've found, your timing of hitting the record and playback buttons has to be spot on or else it just doesn't work. In that vid, KT Tunstall makes the comment about getting the beat going with her heel before she records anything with the pedal.

And, of course, the loops you're creating have to be interesting enough to be worthwhile and add to the music.

So, I'm off down to my music room again shortly to do just that - practice, practice....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.