Using a Fender American Professional Bridge

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Boston Maine Mike, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Boston Maine Mike

Boston Maine Mike TDPRI Member

Does anyone have experience using an AM-Pro Bridge on other Teles? The mounting holes are opposite from the Vintage location, but are the string thru holes in the same location?

Attached Files:

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Welcome, Mike!

Nobody uses this bridge on other Teles because it won't share that many reference points.

It would be, for example, totally without value for a MIM Standard, Player, Deluxe Nashville, Vintera, Squier Classic Vibe - on and on.

If I found myself in possession of a couple, I might install them on American Standards, American Deluxes or other models sharing this through hole template. You'd fill existing screw mount holes, and redrill ala the American Pro.

But don't get your hopes up, and here's why: This is a 25.5 scale guitar and FMIC has shoved the through holes so high up the body, that a guitar with elevated saddles (you know, so the bridge pickup is more exposed and the guitarist can get under the strings and chicken pick them) will mean the string (especially the E and A) will break off the saddle and drop vertically into the through hole. In fact, some strings will have to "double back" a little. They're wrapping around the saddle, or just about and this IMO makes the string feel overly stiff - yucky, not desired. And the sound is off. You need the right amount of limber feel to the strings and you won't get it.

On second thought, I don't think I would convert more American Standards. I modded some AV52 style bridges to use these reference points, on 3 Americans like this, and those guitars have IMO very limited application. I already know, this won't work to my expectations.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

The short answer is .. no.
    Am Pro string through holes are closer to the bridge pickup rout.

Fender_Am_Pro_Vintage_Compare.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.