1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Using a drum machine

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by AussieAndrew, Mar 18, 2013.

1. AussieAndrew

AussieAndrew Friend of Leo's

I have been using drum machines that also do "bass" for many years. I started with a Yamaha RY10 but wasn't happy with it.
    I bought a Roland BOSS DR880 Rhythm Programmer about 7 years ago and was very happy with it. It takes quite a bit of getting used to, but it really changed the game for me. I can program complete songs any way I want, any song want, any tempo and almost any time signature.
    It has a plethora of drum & percussion and bass sounds. Every sound can be tailored, equalized,compressed, you name it. The bass can be bent up & down and sustain as long as necessary. It also has guitar modeling features with are pretty darned authentic if I want to run my axe through it, which I don't anymore.
    I run the machine through an equalizer then into my Pioneer tube stereo and crank it up.
    I play my axe/s through proper tube amps & use pedals, in the conventional way.
    I could gig with this set up if I wanted but I've lost interest in that over the years, but I have some really good loud fun at home.
    I've used the DR880 to record a couple of Cd's and they came out pretty impressive with my guitar and vocals. (24 track recorder program).
    Obviously it won't replace a top notch drummer or bassist but set up properly is very impressive.
    The only mistakes are made by me and there are no arguments with anybody, I can only kick myself.

Doe's anyone else use drum machines for practice or gigging.
    All opinions and experiences are welcome- love 'em, like 'em or hate 'em :confused:

Andrew.

2. AussieAndrew

This is it. Boss DR880 Rhythm Programmer.

Last edited: May 4, 2013
  3. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

I have a line-6 jm4 looper that has a drum option. My friends were over Saturday so I set it up with a simple drum track and we played fortunate son. Me lead, Jeff rythym, Paul bass, and Kevin rythym.

Carl

4. bender-freak

bender-freak Friend of Leo's

I used a Solton/Ketron MS-40 for years when I was doing a 2-piece. I still have it, but haven't "hooked" it all up for quite a while. It works a little different than what you have, tho. The Solton is meant to be used "live", for lack of a better description. I can't pre-program songs with it; everything is done on the fly. I prefer the Solton, because the drum patterns/beats (360 patterns) are straight forward, and accents/cymbal crashes, etc. can be added as wanted/needed where wanted/needed. Same with the bass lines, and the rythym patterns. it is only limited by MY knowledge of the song I am doing. If there is a mistake during a performance, it's because it was made by ME.

My problem with trying to use the Boss/Roland/Yamaha drum machines has been no matter what the beat/pattern selected may be, every beat seems to have a little "hitch" in the count, sort of like an extra "lick" that simply does not need to be there, IMO. I was never able to use them because of that.

I've tried many different ones and the Solton/Ketron units are the only ones that sound like a real drummer, bass player, and rythym section to me.

But, yes I have used them (drum machines) extensively for practice AND gigging.

5. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I was real bad once......I would use midi songs from a computer...ran into a
    mult-timbral synth...up to 32 channels with (drums/horns,bass)..etc...into PA.

Some of the midis were purchased, some were from midi song sites..

Now use a drum machine ocassionaly, when drummer doesnt show up for practice.
    Most band members hate it, so I leave it off.

6. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

I use two computer programs ( plug-ins) EZ Drummer & Addictive drummer they work pretty good. They sync with pro Tools which is really a big plus but to build a decent drum track takes some time. I also have a Boss DR-550 & Boss DR-670 the 550 lives in the drawer the 670 just sits so GL list is my next option. So now I'm thinking about a nice Drum machine I really have no starting place on whats good for recording. I know some can get pretty pricey but it might be worth the wait. Have you used your DR880 for recording? Is it pretty straight forward? All the Boss stuff I've bought has always user friendly and decent.

7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I use BIAB....found it to be much easier.....sounds great! endless ability for song stucture.

8. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I have this ancient alesis that I dug out of the basement. The thought of programming that thing scares me to death. (Well not really). I'm sure there's something inexpensive that I could use my pc to program on a screen and then take with me to places, right?

9. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

not gigging but a couple of outfits of mine use a drum machine for practice all the time, if the drummer doesnt show up, or we dont have one.

Useful tool.

10. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

I didnt like Band in a Box at all. I was trying to do a backing track for Cant Explain by the Who, for a one-man show for myself. Lots of people suggested Band In a Box, but I found that any stops, starts, or off-beat drum stuff was just too difficult to do.

I use a program called Sonar (used to be cakewalk) to do recordings and it has a couple of different ways to get drums going, I drag and drop samples from a few libraries I have.
    Super easy and works great.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I've used GB, but I don't know, it just seems to suck the inspiration out of me. I've been considering drum machines for along time now. I presently down load drum tracks into my looper to play with and GB to compose. The Boss DR-3 seems easy enough for my composing, but the 880 is probably the way to go. I just want it quick and easy.

BTW, ce24, great stuff with your band, Slackwater Trio and good use of the BIAB! Do you gig in your area? You're within a good motorcycle weekend trip.

12. Fendrcaster

Fendrcaster Tele-Afflicted

I have a DR 880, but haven't taken the time to really learn it. I used to play in a two piece group and we used an Alesis SR-16 drum machine. It worked really well, we could extend the songs if we wanted and never had a problem.

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

13. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

I decided to mess with the machine tonight and since I'm a guitar owner and somewhat player, I looked up drum beats that I could program into the machine. I was looking for really basic. I found this website... It almost looks like a drum machine wrote it its so poorly written. Anyone know how these articles get written?

http://www.all-about-drum-set-drumming.com/rock-beat.html

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I use mine as a Metronome.
    Much easier for me to work with than the CLICK of a regular one.

15. AussieAndrew

When I program songs into my DR880 I start with a blank. 1st I put in bass drum, snare & hi-hats, then I put in the bass. That will do as a basis to work with. Then I copy that part and start to expand and alter the drums and bass until I have my song (many parts). This can take days depending on the song, but I don't finish it on the 1st run. Then I start another song and another and ..... I then go back through those songs and polish them up, not once, but repeatedly. I still polish them as they can always be touched up here or there. It "is" very time consuming but the end product is well worth my efforts.

I had my DR880 for about 6months before I was game enough to start messing with it. It takes a bit of getting used to but very daunting at first (it is a computer to be programmed) and I don't use any of the pre-programmed parts that it comes with. It also has other features that I don't use. Yes, I have done recording with it, no problems.

I can program blues, blues rock, country rock, hard rock etc.. the only limitations are with the user. Sometimes it can be painful trying to get the right beat, but when I've got it "I'm there".

Some of the songs I have programmed are :-
    Sweet home Alabama, Another brick in the wall,Pride and joy, Sultans of swing,Tin soldier, Midnight special, STRANGLEHOLD, Cat scratch fever, Texas Flood, Mary had a little lamb (not the nursery rhyme), Call me the breeze, etc, etc,...
    The list goes on & on.

The DR880 will only hold so much information, approx 1 hours worth of playing (one set)
    Then I can down load from the laptop any of the other sets that I have previously saved. I have about 7 or 8 different data saves (about 7 or 8 hours of play time) so far. [​IMG]

Andrew.

16. tabdog

tabdog Tele-Meister

I'm old and never learned much of this new fangled recording
    and stuff. I'm a bass player and don't know anything about
    drum machines.

I just ordered this Yamaha RY9 Drum Machine off GC for $29.99
    plus twelve something in shipping and tax.

[​IMG]

It hasn't got here yet. It offers a complete 'band-in-a-box' facility
    courtesy of its onboard bass and melodic sounds and ability to play
    auto-accompaniment-style backing tracks.

It has 128 drum samples, 50 melodic voices, 200 preset and 50 user
    patterns, 200 auto-accompaniment backings, 50 preset and 50 user
    songs, plus extensive programming and MIDI capabilities.

It has a guitar input that can be blended with the mix. It has a start
    feature where it starts with the first note played.

A guitar can be a MIDI controller using single notes.

I hope it ain't too far over my head.

We'll see,

Tabdog

17. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

I have an ancient TR 505--the sounds it has suck, but the beauty is the sequencer. You can chain patterns together and make odd time signatures very easily, then plug it into GB or Logic and use the better sounds.

The other good part--$2.00 at a yard sale.

18. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My wife just bought me an eBayer DR-3. It is a blast and the sound is more impressive than I thought it would be. Played through my wife's bass amp along with the DR-3 bass, sounds very real. Even better through stereo monitors. I'm not a drummer, so hopefully I won't find it's limitations until I start editing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.