Using a compressor to get Vince Gill's sound, help me out...

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
In my ever expanding and troublesome curiosity, I decided to try a Maxon CP-9 Pro+

It seems its very hard to judge a compressor by videos and I think I can get that sound using the Maxon. It is built around the dbx circuit (if i am saying that right) and not exactly like the CS-3 but still a VCA-style compressor, if my understanding is correct.

So, I looked up the comprression ratio on things like the Dynacomp and Ross which seem to be known for that sound and its around 10:1 or better. I figured I could start there with the Maxon as ratio is adjustable on this one and see how it goes. I like that is maybe more of studio style compressor circuit that might get put on a track after the fact anyway, so, this seems logical. I am a fan of the Maxon stuff in general and I think they do things well.

Won't know until I try. If this doesn't work, then I will probably just get a CS-3, and stop the torture.

RetroTeleRod

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
“What is this new devilry?”

“A Comp-rig. A demon of the ancient world. This foe is beyond any of you, RUN!!”
45763CF5-03A2-41B3-A1B1-F77A85A70C08.jpeg

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
So is your Milkbox, and the Dyna Comp, and.... and... and... Stomp comps are generally "squishy"... but that IS THIS TONE! Use them lightly... that is why I am suggesting to roll back the compression amounts.

These things are harder to dial in than I had imagined. Between the Milkbox and the Maxon CP9Pro+, I think I prefer the Maxon although they seem to sound very similar, depending on where pasturization is set on the milkbox - the maxon retains the high end rather well. The light on the maxon lets me know when its kicking in and that visual is appealing to me and maybe making me hear it differently than if it wasn't there. I do think neither the maxon nor the milkbox are as rubbery as what I hear in vince's sound.

I am playing a thinline (currently seen as my avatar) and the compressor tends to bring out the woody sound associated with these - not sure if that is a bad or a good thing, just a thing I noticed. Not exactly a solidbody sound, so there is that. Love my tele though, just gotta learn how to work it with a comp.

Les H

Tele-Holic
I have been playing in country bands for the last 20 years and I have used an MXR Dyna Comp that I bought new since the start of these last 20 years.

Having been curious of the Boss CS3 for years I finally picked up a used one last summer. I played with it at home and took it to one band practice. Came home and put it in the closet. Granted I'm no Vince Gill but something about the Boss didn't sit well with me. It seemed kind of dull, for lack of a better description compared to my Dyna Comp.

Something to consider is based on photos of his pedal board in the past Vince runs his comp after his drive pedals. Doing so in my experience makes the turning on and off of the drive pedals less blatant. The comp will squash the volume jump when engaging the drive pedal. You can also increase or decrease the gain output of the dirt pedal with the level control on the comp.

codamedia

Poster Extraordinaire
Something to consider is based on photos of his pedal board in the past Vince runs his comp after his drive pedals. Doing so in my experience makes the turning on and off of the drive pedals less blatant. The comp will squash the volume jump when engaging the drive pedal. You can also increase or decrease the gain output of the dirt pedal with the level control on the comp.

That's a good catch... I've been doing that for about 20 years now and much prefer it.
When you use an "always on" comp, placing it after the drives allows the drives to be more interactive to the playing... then refined (smoothed out) after the fact. Clean tones are not affected.

I have been playing in country bands for the last 20 years and I have used an MXR Dyna Comp that I bought new since the start of these last 20 years.

You can't go wrong with a dyna comp. IIRC, the great Reggie Young used to use a Dyna Comp faithfully... just as Vince is faithful to his CS-3.