Using a boost/light overdrive to push OD pedal

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by homerkp, Jul 17, 2019.

1. homerkp

homerkp TDPRI Member

Hey everybody,

So I've been experimenting with my overdrive pedals, trying to get the best combination/sound. Right now I have a Soul Food with the volume turned all the way up going into a Blues Driver. I guess I saw it done like that in videos, but it does fatten up and warm the sound.

I got a question though. With the BD on, the SF simply fattens the sound. With the BD off the SF is super loud obviously with the volume turned all the way up. Using the pedals in this way, does it effectively mean I can only use the SF to push the BD? I would like to use the SF on it's on, or switch between it and the clean amp sound, but with the volume all the way up it seems to restricts the use to what I mentioned above.

Put another way, with the BD on, the SF only changes the character of the sound. With the BD off it creates a huge volume change. Is there any way work around this so that I can use the pedals individually in this setup as opposed to just in conjunction with each other?

2. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

end the chain in a clean boost.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Increase the gain and reduce the volume of the SF and set the output of the BD higher so that both match volume when used independently. Set the amp accordingly.

The extra dirt from the SF should still fatten the BD but lowering the SFs volume should prevent the clean volume boost when used alone.

Fiddle with the knobs

ClashCityTele likes this.
  4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I use a Boss GE7 for clean boost. Loads of dB on tap plus tone shaping if required. Perfect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.