using 2 amps.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Unpossible, Nov 21, 2021.

1. gpw5150

gpw5150 TDPRI Member

I was thinking of using a 2 amo rig with my Prosonic as the distortion and my 57 5e5a pro as the clean.

a lot to carry and I am not sure how it will all sound.

2. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use one of these for my 2 amp setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Lone_Poor_Boy

Lone_Poor_Boy Tele-Holic

Never had a phase issue so I can't speak to that but my main approach is to use one more clean and higher in volume. And then the other with heavy drive but lower in volume. It gives me a clean sound but with punch and sustain. Haha, I shoulda done that last night instead of what I tried.

Dismalhead likes this.
  4. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

I tend to carry a backup amp, anyway. So I decided to bi-amp, so that my backup was powered up and ready to go. I did down size my amps and I find it much easier to sing over. I try to bring at least one of the amps, with front controls. That way I can stack then, if there is limited space. Plus it gets the amp off the floor.

Also, I started using Line Outs, when possible, for PA support. I've had sound people who turn ever thing up, until it feeds back. Then, they back off the volume, until it only feeds back a little. If I can cut them out of the equation, I do.

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I've done 2 amps;
    Fender 75 and '68 Bassman, 70s champ and HRdlx, and the other ways around too.
    Know what I discovered?

That bringing a 95lb combo, a 30lb head, a 4'×2.5'×1' cab, 2 guitars, and a 60lb bag of pedals and cables was too much junk. I literally brought the same amount of gear for myself and the rythm player in a later band as I did in that early band.

Sounds full, totally cool in a 2 piece setup with you and a drummer, otherwise, not as great. I may run the Frenzel and 5e5 in the current band, haven't decided yet. They look cool, but either does the job great.

Was banned from. The Enormodome in 2008 when a borrowed wall of 4×12s literally blew my pants off.

;)

W.L.Weller and northernguitar like this.
  6. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I use a Radial Bigshot ABY to split the signal. It is totally passive. I was playing two VHT 12/20s but moved on to a Henriksen JazzAmp and a Polytone Mega-Brute. I may ditch tube amps entirely except for my home stereo. That said, if I run into some money I may get the VHTs modded to perform better. They are OK but I think they could use better OTs and caps. They only ever seem to be half alive.

7. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

I used to have an A/B setup, where one amp was for lead and the other for rhythm, but it became too much of a hassle. It was a half stack and a 2x12, each with its own head and signal chain. Really loud, a lot to move and set up for one set.

More recently, I’ll use two of the same amp for louder rooms, so two Princeton Reverbs, because just is fine most of the time. Same truck works with two Tweed Deluxes.

8. Tom Hicks

Tom Hicks TDPRI Member

Glad to read about others gigging their Gibson amps.

I've done my last 3 gigs with 2 amps, after watching a wet/dry video on That Pedal Show.

Using a Nux Cerberus mini pedal/fly rig style multipedal. The dry amp is a 1958 Gibson GA6, 14 watts from 2 6V6s. The wet amp is a Monoprice 15 (Laney Cub clone) 15 watts from 2 EL84s.

I've got both amps backed off for club gigs, so its not louder but fuller sounding.

9. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have two stereo rigs. One is a Blackstar HT20 and a Hughes and Kettner Tubemiester 36

The other is another Blackstar HT20 and a Mesa Rectoverb 25/10.

I use Radial ABY box on both. Can cure polarity or phase issues plus lets you choose either amp on it's own or both together. As mentioned already some amps just don't go well together. I tried a Peavey Mini 20 with one of my Blackstars and just couldn't get them to cooperate. Either one was fine by themselves but together was not pleasing

10. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

For gigs where we use our small PA, I used to daisy chain two red stripe 110 Peavey Envoys. I've seldom had a sound I liked better.

When we use my big Alto mixer, we just put our amps through the system.

11. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Friend of Leo's

I only play at home and I have several rigs. Two of which I have 2 each two amps used for stereo IMG_0237.jpg IMG_0387.jpg
    These two are used for stereo
    IMG_0385.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    And these two, both rigs are using an Art SGX-2000 effects units for a stereo output (The Super Champ X2 is using a different cab than what is in the photo)

12. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

My 2-amp setup (when I have an opportunity to gig it) is a homebrew 5E3 Deluxe & SFPR through a Radial Twin City ABY.
    Together, its 'tone of the gods' to my ears.

xjazzy likes this.
  13. kafka

kafka Friend of Leo's

Two different amps is always a lot of fun, and really spreads the sound around in a dynamic way that just can't be done otherwise. I think the downside is that it generally feels a little sluggish, even if you're not using a chorus or delay to spread things out (although, that's also fun).

14. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

Hell yeah! Great post, I can really get into topics like this. I have done both these methods with good results. A smallish amp with a $70 SM-57 in front of it, easy to set up and sounds awesome. The 2 amp method tales a bit more preparation and setup but it sounds great too. I've done it with a Blackface Princeton and a Tweed Deluxe. Different but complimentary sounds, the Blackface for clarity and shimmer and the Tweed for beef and breakup.

Marshall&SM57.jpg FndrDlx&Prnctn.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.