using 2 amps.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Unpossible, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Unpossible

Unpossible Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

think i might have decided how to handle home/small gig/big gig challenge.

2 small/medium sized amps i can mix and match. They will each be combos in the same size cabs.
    use amp 1 for practice/ small gig.
    Add 2nd for big gig. Place together or spread apart.
    They will be slightly different sounding, but can be set to sound similar.

For people who use 2 amps, apart from phase issues, any other considerations?

Maguchi likes this.
  2. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Too much fuss, IMO. Why not just use one amp?

Place in front of speaker. Use PA. Play Enormodome.

[​IMG]

radtz, ce24, ReverendRevolver and 3 others like this.
  3. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

All I can tell you about going into two amps is that some amps jive together and some don't, and you won't know until you try it.

I just went back to stereo'ing into two small combos - not the same size though. I've got a 5-watt Supro and a 20-watt Mesa; plenty loud for anywhere I'll play. I use a Digitech Multi-chorus to split the signal. Nice thing about going into two amps is that they can each serve as backup for the other if anything goes wrong with one.

[​IMG]

Crobbins, Lowspeid and mad dog like this.
  4. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

It's great fun. As Dismalhead says, you can't tell how well two amps will match up til you try them together.

My favorite duos differ notably in midrange.

- Gibson GA40 and '67 BF Deluxe Reverb
    - Magnatone Varsity non-reverb and '68 SFDR

I think it's the relatively scooped nature of the Fenders that make it work so well. In each case, the two together sound way different than either apart.

NoTeleBob and Dismalhead like this.
  5. naveed211

naveed211 Friend of Leo's

I tend to agree with this stance, nowadays. Ease of setup and load in/out for me is more important. Still sounds great with one amp.

If you do go with two amps, see if you can go with two that sound kinda different. They fill in each other’s gaps and make for a nice mix. Years ago for a church gig, I ran an old Gibson Discoverer that had some mids paired with a Bad Cat Mini Cat that was all high end chime. They complimented each other quite well.

6. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I found setting up two amps at gigs just frustrating and more work. Humming, inadequate room on stage, someone complaining the guitars to loud on their side of the stage, etc etc.

7. rze99

rze99 Doctor of Teleocity

I usually use two amps.
    One set darker and dirtier the other cleaner and brighter. The two together sound better to me than one by itself and when I record I pan them. Perfect.

8. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I n gigged with a pair of 1959-1960 Valco 1 x 10 amps—little tweed amps with about 12-15 watts from a a pair of 6973 tubes—for a few years in the 90s. I had no phase issues and found them easy to carry and set up. I’d split the signal to them with a little Boss digital reverb or my chorus pedal, both of which had stereo outputs.

With two, I could run them in their sweet spot where I still had some headroom but it sounded like they were working a little. It didn’t seem any more difficult than using one amp...two easy-to-carry boxes, each with a single volume and tone knob.

They did break from time to time, and when one did, I’d sub in my Peavey Audition 20 for one of them. It sounded fine...not different enough to worry about once the band was going.

9. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Holic

I used to gig my Goodsell Super17 with a Ampeg Reverb rocket 12. The two worked really well together. These days a lot of places are either too small to take advantage of this setup or the stages are too small to use two amps. The Goodsell on it's own works just fine.

Reverb and Dismalhead like this.
  10. Midgetje94

Midgetje94 Tele-Afflicted

3rd! (Cause it’s already been seconded lol) I run my fender Excelsior (bright and twangy) and a old VC20 for the more driven stuff. Don’t need two but looks and sounds cool lol

naveed211 likes this.
  11. muscmp

muscmp Friend of Leo's

i use a 75 vibrochamp and 76 champ. run one fairly bright and the other fairly dark. i do use a pedalboard that gives me a stereo sound. to me, having two similar amps set differently is much easier than one above poster trying to run a loud mesa with a small supro. you'll need to barely turn up the mesa and crank the supro. may work tho as with everything it is all subjective. i have tried that with my mesa mkiib and the champ. mesa sounded terrible on 1 altho the champ sounded great on 9.
    play music!

12. Eastbound71

Eastbound71 TDPRI Member

I agree with micing the amp. I was shocked myself at how well it will works when I first tried it. You get huge sound through a decent PA

Maguchi and northernguitar like this.
  13. JohnnyThul

JohnnyThul TDPRI Member

Hi Unpossible,

I did that for years with 2 Vox Ac30's. The possible phase and grounding issues can be avoided by using a good A/B Box (I used a Lehle Dual SGOS which works perfect for that). I have to say, I played in a Trio, so, I did not have the trouble to make the sound work with another guitarist.
    Both amps were set actually more or less to the same sound, but I had different speakers in the amps and that worked pretty well for me.
    A nice thing I can recommend is using a TC Electronic Mimiq Doubler, you can get massive wall of sound by using this with 2 amps when playing powerchords, lots of fun! :) But it may annoy a 2nd guitarist.

Best regards

Jonas

mojek likes this.
  14. Unpossible

Unpossible Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thanks for all advice.
    Very useful.

15. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Holic

Serious phase problems are caused usually by using two mics on the same source like cymbal overheads and bleeding into another mic at a different distance that causes a nearly identical signal to be shifted in one mic. I don’t think two amplifiers set for different sounds would be as likely to phase, if someone has expressed this I’m sure they will correct me but I don’t think it would be a problem.

Maguchi likes this.
  16. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I play through a Twin Reverb and Princeton at the same time quite often. They sound fantastic together and I will even switch back and forth at times depending on need.

That isn't all that convenient though unless you have a Tonemaster Twin.

Dismalhead likes this.
  17. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Afflicted

Added a little-used Champion 600 to my two Princeton rig this week; adds some honk and dry signal to the slapback delay and on-board reverb from the other amps.

xjazzy likes this.
  18. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Ground loop is another problem.
    I have a Palmer PLI-01 isolator to avoid hum from ground loops. Works great.
    I love using two amps but right now I'm only doing it at home.

19. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Two amps are great, at home in front of you, in a live gig too much hassle, imho.

northernguitar likes this.
  20. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I always take two amps, one American voiced and one British voiced, controlled with a Radial Twin City ABY. I rarely play them at the same time, but the Radial has a ground lift and a polarity switch so I can if I want to.

Milspec likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.