Username vs. given name

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by LGOberean, Sep 20, 2020.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I acknowledge that I have an unusual username for an online discussion forum dedicated to Telecasters and guitars and gear in general.

FYI, when I chose it a dozen years ago, I just chose a username that I already was using in another discussion forum dedicated to the discussion of Biblical Greek. In retrospect, I sometimes wish I had come up with something more telecaster-ish or guitar related for my TDPRI username.

Even though my signature line has my first name and middle initial (“Larry G”), newcomers on TDPRI and in some cases old timers too refer to me by my username. I’m not talking about when someone tags me by using the @ symbol prefixed to my username. I’m referring to those who will just use my username as though it were my given name.

I’m not saying that’s offensive or anything, but I would prefer to be engaged in conversation simply as “Larry.” And I prefer to call people by their given names, even when addressing them in online discussion forums such as this. Anybody else feel this way?

2. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I chose Stringbanger because it was the first thing that came to mind, and it fits me perfectly.:D

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

This may come as a shock to some, but my real name is not LutherBurger. Not even close.

Y'all can call me anything you want.

4. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

Not really. I'll call people whatever they prefer because it's a respect thing as far as I'm concerned. I think Getbent has a pretty clever tdpri handle as far as double entrandres go.

Matt G, telestratosonic and LGOberean like this.
  5. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

My initials: SF. Not to be confused with our Australian friend ess-eff (unless you're sending cheques).

6. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I'll admit I do like it when people use their real names. I'll say I totally understand when a screen name is more appropriate when considering some level privacy. I notice sometimes people will put their real name in their signature line as it can be helpful for folks that might actually know you in person er..real life.

BTW, you can call me Don. Have a great day.

7. SomeGuyNamedRob

SomeGuyNamedRob Tele-Meister

My name is Rob. And I'm some guy.

Please stop me if you need me to explain the plot twist...

8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

I am me too .

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Everyone that knows me, calls me by my username, soooo ...

10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My name's Don. My nic comes from a song called 'American Stranger' that I wrote years ago, and the state of New York where I live.

Call me whatever you like, chances are I won't hear you anyway.

- D

11. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

You can call me Jay, or You can call me Johnson, but you doesn't call me JJ.

John works as well.

12. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Just my opinion, but as I see it, names exist at two levels. First name and sometimes first name and initial are how others refer to us. Last name is our family name. Our history is in our family name, or at least our ancestry history. In some cultures, the family name is the name used outside the family. In others, the family name is a caste identifier. Online, I recognize people by their username. I don't know if someone is Fred, Pete, or Shiela but I still recognize them. There are some whose posts I always open. I don't use the ignore function, but there are others whose posts I'm not much interested in. On occasion I have PM conversations. Often we reveal first names, but I still recognize those folks from their usernames [and avatars] in their posts.

So what's in a name? All of the above and more. I have a new puppy. She knew her name by the end of the first day. Maybe she knew her name even before that because the breeder began using her name from the day we picked her out. How does a dog process that? Why are there family and "familiar" names in all cultures? So maybe user names are shields we use to allow ourselves to be recognized without revealing enough about ourselves to place our privacy at risk. I usually call people by what they tell me their name is... at least to their faces. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  13. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I kind of like the anonymity of the screen name

And my names just wacky enough that someone will always mess it up

It’s hard on a forum to judge what someone would like to go by, the safe bet is usually the screen name

Although I’ve been around long enough to know some members by their given name

14. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

actually its just a play on words from and old chat/trivia page that i used to play trivia...the censoring was so sensitive that you could be kicked out for spelling a word that was deemed a no no...even though it was part of the answer to the trivia question...ive used...johnny depposition...hugh m being...jack auff...you get the picture

15. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I needed a username for another place. Casting around, to my left was my SG. VintageSG it was then. Had I looked to my right, I'd have chosen Dano59. Simpler times.

telestratosonic and Greggorios like this.
  16. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Just don't call me late for supper.

17. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have enough entities tracking everything I do online. I don't need to add all of you to the list. My screen name is the same as the beginning of the email address I used to register, and it is a classical civilization reference relevant to my education and interests.

18. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

My username is an homage to a book titled Zen Guitar by Philip Toshio Sudo. It totally changed the way I approached playing guitar.

19. suave eddie

suave eddie Tele-Afflicted

I confess my real name is not Eddie. However I am suave.
    It's a long story.

20. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Toadtele is my wife’s nickname for the guitar in my avatar. I thought it was as good as any.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.