Used table saw

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by eallen, Nov 20, 2017.

1. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Out of the blue I got a text asking if I was interested in a saw I came across while helping a senior couple move 3 years ago. It told them if they ever wanted to sell it to let me know. I couldnt even remeber what the saw was. The husband now has Alzheimers. Before looking at the saw, I asked the wife what she wanted for it to see if I could squeeze it in my guitar budget. She quoted me $200. I figured I would buy it regardless to help her out and could always resell it. Upon going to pic it up here is the saw I brought home for $200. Oh yeah, she threw in a $100 delta tenoning jig and a $80 dado stack.

I sort of feel kind of guilty for taking advantage of her. Since I can sell my other contractor saw for the same price or more I may have to drop off some more cash.

1511228212218.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    cap47, TigerG, nsmith01tx and 2 others like this.
  2. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

The guide must be worth that

eallen likes this.
  3. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

great score!

I have a 57 Unisaw with same fence. And yes the fence is worth the price of admission. Add the mobile base and fact the saw is pretty good to boot, and I call it a very nice deal.

Enjoy!

Peace,
    Jim

eallen likes this.
  4. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Wow, great score. I had to sell my cast iron table saw last time I moved as it was just to big for my new place. I have a smaller one now that folds up to save space when not being used. Sure miss that cast iron saw.

eallen likes this.
  5. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Don't feel guilty. I'm sure they are delighted to know that the items are going to someone who will use and appreciate them. Plus, they know you...

nsmith01tx likes this.
  6. eallen

That is a good point. Even the husband with what little memory he has was glad someone his wife knew was getting it to use.

telemnemonics and John Nicholas like this.
  7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I agree man, just enjoy it. Make something on it and send them a pic. Sweet rig!

eallen likes this.
  8. LeftFinger

LeftFinger Friend of Leo's

No make them something on it:D

9. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Several years ago I had an older friend help close out his grandfather's estate and he hauled a cast iron 1937 Craftsman table saw from Kansas back to Texas just to give to me.
    He's gone too now but it still means an awful lot to me.

10. eallen

Very nice. Those are some of the best gifts.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  11. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Hi Eric.........If you're still having guilty feelings re the saw price, why not take them a nice Christmas cake or cooked ham etc in appreciation.

DC

12. eallen

Thanks to all for your suggestion. Great ideas to express gratitude, of which our world could always use more of!

13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice saw, but not wildly underpriced at $200. It's not like the true value of the saw and accessories would make the rest of their lives more comfortable or pay off some major debts.

I've never been in the position, but the kind of thing that should make you feel guilty is when a widow offers you a pristine Nocaster for $200, because its just an old guitar, and you just snap it up. My sense of ethics says you have to make sure she understands what a valuable treasure she has, but if she persists regardless of value, I guess I'd take it. If she's determined to give away a fabulous guitar to someone, it might as well be me.

Anyway, I like the idea of making your couple some nice gift with the saw as a token of appreciation.

John Nicholas, eallen and Nickfl like this.
  14. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great saw- I agree -just build them something-even a box jointed box or a couple of nice maple or cherry cutting boards just to say thanks

eallen likes this.
  15. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

Nice score. Now is the time of year that everyone sells off their woodworking machinery. I'm going to have to move to get space for a Unisaw, but I'm looking forward to it.

eallen likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wow, nice deal!
    I'm not familiar with that Craftsman saw, is it a 5hp with multiple drive belts?
    Most older iron Craftsman saws don't bring much money, even thought they are good machines. Just old homeowner saws with bad fences.
    Kind of an old and heavy must be better- myth.
    The Biesemeyer is great but not guilty great.
    That base looks like maybe a top pro Craftsman saw, which makes it worth more, in which case you could almost feel guilty, except that they seem to like you, you couldn't afford more money, and you saved an old lady from the hassle of trying to get top dollar for old machinery.
    That is when they might have gotten ripped off, inviting strangers in, so you may have saved them more trouble than any extra money they might have made.

Elders are indeed targets for scams.
    These folks did OK IMO.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    eallen likes this.
  17. eallen

It is a single belt cabinet saw. I think they were originally made by Steel City. I'm not necessarily a craftsman fan but have had decent luck with their older select tools since they are always re-lables of someone elses. It is a step up from a contractor saw like I have had with better dust colllection being a cabinet. I will probably get more for my contractor saw when I sell it since I dont have room for both.

I got my router table extension swapped onto it from my old saw & moved the cast extension to the other end to work with my layout. Ready for use.
    1511322332086.jpg

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I can be a hand wringer when it comes to my own moral & ethical dilemmas, and if it was a multi belt 5hp I'd toss and turn for a few nights.
    I will not pay what anything is worth though, only buy used stuff if the deal is really good, so I have some issues!
    While I've done a lot of work that did need a $2500 saw, it would not really be the right tool for a home workshop, and this one seems perfect.
    My Delta contractors saw has the unifence, and while the collector is hampered by the belt opening, it suffices since I never rip all day long.

Congratulations!

nsmith01tx and eallen like this.
  19. eallen

After inventorying the "extras" the seller included and selling them off I have now effectively paid $115 for the saw.

I slapped on a new blade and made a quick zero clearance blade insert and it cut some 2" cherry yesterday for me like butter. All that is left is switching it over for 220v and back to living the dream!

20. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nice! Cherry will burn fairly easily, so if you got clean cuts with no burning, sounds like your setup is spot-on.

The 220 v conversion is pretty straightforward-IIRC, the motor has a diagram of which leads go where, right on or next to the connection cover.

eallen likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.